Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 27 and never rode a motorcycle before. Just wanted to get your opinion on handling a 650 Burgman, particularly if it is too heavy for an average woman. Is there anything else I should be concerned about? Thank you so much for your input!

·
Registered
16 Posts
From what I've heard, the 400 may be better suited for female riders. I'm just basing this on what little bit I know about either machine. You wanted to know what other things you should be concerned about and obviously if yau have never ridden a bike before as you stated, my strong recomendation would be to take the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) course. http://www.gadmvs.com/training/gmsp That is the link to where you can take the course here in Georgia. There are probably several places in the ATL where you can take the course.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi Inka,

Welcome! May I ask how tall you are? It may/may not make a difference. My partner, who also rides our 400, is 5'11" and says that she'd probably go for the 650, especially after some time on the 400. The 400 suits her, especially if she could remove the rider backrest, but she'd like more room to stretch, particularly on longer rides.

I'm 5'1" and find the 400 suits me fine. Though I could see, with more experience, moving up to the 650 down the road a year or two. The 400 is a great bike--we love it and are having a lot of fun with it. So I may not move up to the 650. The 400 is easier to maneuver, costs less to insure, and should be a great starter bike for you. But it's ultimately up to you. :)

Also, sign up for the MSF course--I believe it's free in GA and passing it will automatically give you a motorcycle license. We're taking one in PA at the end of this month.

Have fun and be safe,

Bryna

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hi Inka
My wife and I moved up from 2 Honda Elite 250's to the Burgman 650's.
There was some apprehension about the 650's being substantially larger and heavier, that we wouldn't be able to handle them as well. The 650 was a breeze to ride for my wife. She mastered it in minutes. Having said that, compared to a lighter bike, you do have to respect the weight of it when parking it or when stopping it on a sideways angle. But the 650 is so much more bike. If you can handle the seat height, you'll be happier in the long run that you chose the bigger bike. So unless you are budget motivated, go Burgman 650.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
You may want to step back just a bit and first see what type of riding you intend to do.
You may not need a 650 or it could be the 400 is to small.
As far as handling them I will go out on a limb and say I think anyone who rides a 400 could ride a 650.
You learn to composite for the weight and you learn how to ride your own bike. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone! I already have tried to sign up for the MSF class today, but looks like they're pretty popular here in Georgia and I'll have to wait a little for an open spot. I'm also glad I went with the 650-- I'm a bit tall, so it'll probably be a more comfortable ride.
As I'm a bit of a klutz, I will be posting all about my bloopers as I start to ride this baby and I'm sure there will be plenty. I'll be coming back for more advice for sure! Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Welcome, Inka! Glad to have another lady join the Forum. I'll be looking forward to hearing your experiences in the days ahead. I bought a 400 two months ago, after deciding that the 650 would be too heavy for me. I'm an average-sized gal, and am pretty much a beginner myself.

Loving my Burgman, and am confident you will, too.

--Chris

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a new rider to motorcycles. My husband has ridden for about years. I will be taking the MSC in July. My question is this: I saw for the first time today a Burgman 650 and fell in love with it. I am 5'7" and had no problem sitting on it and my feet touching to ground. Since I am a full figured woman, the room was great. Is it stupid of me to buy a "scooter" instead of a motorcycle to ride? I like that the scooter is step through and not leg over like a motorcycle. I think I would feel safer. Any help you could give me would be great. Like: how is the power? comfort for a second rider? space all around? etc.

Thanks you all,

Wendy

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Hi Wendy,

Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forum. The answers to most of your questions can easily be found here. Just browse around a bit and you'll find a number of insights from both guys and gals.

For a blend of power, comfort, and ease of use, it is hard to beat the Burgman 650 if you feel comfortable with its size. It is more of a step-through motorcycle than a traditional scooter when it comes to performance, but it retains the ample storage, twist and go automatic transmission, and other good aspects of scooters. It is really a unique machine.

And I think you are smart to be considering a Burgman vs a motorcycle. I have both, and I still like my motorcycle, but I ride the Burgman more.

·
Registered
194 Posts
HI WENDY

WELCOME TO THE FORUM,

I LOVE MY 400, ITS PLENTY BIG ENOUGH FOR ME :) SEEMS LIKE MORE AND MORE WOMEN ARE GETTING INTO THE FUN OF RIDING , BE SAFE :) DIANA

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Wendy,

I'm a big gal, too and about your height. I bought the 650 and am very happy I did. I like to commute and having the 650 means I don't have to worry about being able to execute defensive moves, if necessary. I live in West Springfield and feel that driving in the metro area requires as much power as you are willing to handle. Having the auto trans. helps you focus that much more on driving. I've ridden other bikes and scoots, but the Burgman 650 is my favorite ride so far! I've even been able to talk hubby into riding on the back (never ridden on a bike before). I consider that quite an accomplishment. He has never considered riding with me before, so there must be something "magical" about the Burgman.

I've seen several Burgman's traveling along Fairfax County Parkway and I66, my usual commuter route. Hello to whomever I am seeing! I am the person riding the Silver 650 with a yellow Nolan helmet and red mesh jacket for summer.

Madonna

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Welcome to the forum Wendy and Madonna. Like Madonna says Wendy the 650 is magical and since you've sat on one and feel comfortable with it then I say its right for you. Glad to see your signed up for the MSF course as well.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Welcome, Wendy and Madonna!

The Burgies offer the best of everything. I too feel safer on a Burgie--in part because of the clutch issue. Frankly, while I love driving a stick-shift car, I don't know how much I'd like having to do all that shifting and balancing at the same time. As far as comfort, you can't beat a Burgie, whether with smaller scoots or regular motorcycles (judging from what the guys say). I've ridden for 2 hours with perhaps only one off-the-bike stop--I could have ridden all day, the seat and ergos were that comfortable. Now I've just got to get a throttle holder for my wrist.

Have fun!

Bryna

·
Registered
2 Posts
Attention all newbies

I've had a silver 650 for about a thousand miles now and couldn't be happier. My wife wanted to try it out to see if she wants to get one so we found a deserted parking lot and she did. She had some trouble steering and after we talked I realized that steering is more about leaning into a turn than turning the handle bars. I talked with someone who bought a 650 Burgman but said he couldn't get "comfortable" with it. Sounds like he had the same problem as my wife. Just like there can be a little "wiggly" feeling when you are taking off until you get up momentum, there can be a little discomfort when first going into a turn. I've found the best way to overcome it is to just commit to the turn. You can always turn back,
but you have to turn back the same way you went into the turn, by leaning in and letting the scooter do the work. I hope this makes sense. When you do it right, the feeling is comfortable, when you don't its not. Find an off road away from all traffic and practice gently swaying side to side. This gives you the right feeling. I feel bad for the guy who is selling his 650 because I know he could eventually get in the groove. I'm seeing more Burgies on the road now. Love it!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
RossBurger,

You could benefit even more by learning about countersteering. There are a number of posts on the topic in this forum. I never realized how precisely I could control my turns until I learned how to do it. Maybe you already know how, but it didn't seem so from reading your post.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Male or Female -- an "automatic" motorcycle will give more time for a newbie rider to focus on the safe operation of the bike.

Keep in mind that on a bike with regular transmission, the new rider (in addition to all the safety issues on the road) will have to learn to operate the motorcycle keeping both hands and feet busy and coordinating on the brakes and clutch/gears. With an automatic motorcycle, there is much much less to worry about in terms of correctly operating the bike that leaves tons of "mental room" to focus on safety and risk control.

With cities getting more crowded with more vehicles today, this feature of the Burgman and other scooter-type bikes is such a big plus.

On the issue of whether to get the 650 or the 400, I feel that newbie riders are better off starting with a 400 for at least a year practicing and developing on-road motorcycle safety skills and instinct - and then upgrade to the 650 later if desired --- just my $0.02. Hope that helps! :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Migz, I couldn't agree more w/ your comments A) about scoots vs. regular bikes and B) about starting with the 400. Heck, the 400 looked huge in the showroom to me, given I hadn't ridden in 20 years and my last foray into motorcycling (or something) was on a 50cc Elite. (Don't think the moped in Key West counts, though it did help get me over bike-phobia that had settled in.)

I'm glad we went with the 400--it's big enough to do all I want and not too big to be un-nerving. :D

Bryna

1 - 19 of 19 Posts