Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder why Suzuki didn't install a headlight RELAY.....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mike1nw is right, there are no relays I never notice this until now. I guess I know what I'm going to do this weekend. The bike might have 2 extra relays under its body maybe.

·
Registered
870 Posts
$$$

Eastern Beaver makes a headlight relay harness that's almost plug n play. Look under V-strom parts if they don't show something generic.

·
Administrator
17,398 Posts
You can get that Headlight Relay kit off of Ebay for less. From $9.32 USD up. This harness will require running a main set of wires from the battery up to the front. And the wires may need cut and shortened as they are for a car with wide headlights.

Here's a deal, I will make a set of these made to fit a Burgman 650 for cost + shipping and it will be a plug and play. Turn around time will be the shipping from China, time to modify the harness and shipping to you. I can get 2 sets to have on hand but I can not stock 20 of these on a whim. Rough guess is about $15 +/- each + shipping in a USPS flat rate box.

I do not want to make anything on this. Just a simple PayPal for payment. If you feel obliged to pay more than just my costs, donate the excess to a Homeless Veterans group.

You will still need to fish the main power wire down to the battery. The relays will be under the seat or in the left or right cubby up front.

I could make a set for the AN400 and UH200 groups but I do not have a bike to fit it to. And the 400 has H4 and H7 on different years. A H7 bulb will plug into a H4 socket but I do not know off the top of my head if it is plug and play.

This mod will remove the amperage off the Ignition and the Headlight switches. The twin headlights draw between 8 to 10 Amps.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
You can get that Headlight Relay kit off of Ebay for less. From $9.32 USD up. This harness will require running a main set of wires from the battery up to the front. And the wires may need cut and shortened as they are for a car with wide headlights.

Here's a deal, I will make a set of these made to fit a Burgman 650 for cost + shipping and it will be a plug and play. Turn around time will be the shipping from China, time to modify the harness and shipping to you. I can get 2 sets to have on hand but I can not stock 20 of these on a whim. Rough guess is about $15 +/- each + shipping in a USPS flat rate box.

I do not want to make anything on this. Just a simple PayPal for payment. If you feel obliged to pay more than just my costs, donate the excess to a Homeless Veterans group.

You will still need to fish the main power wire down to the battery. The relays will be under the seat or in the left or right cubby up front.

I could make a set for the AN400 and UH200 groups but I do not have a bike to fit it to. And the 400 has H4 and H7 on different years. A H7 bulb will plug into a H4 socket but I do not know off the top of my head if it is plug and play.

This mod will remove the amperage off the Ignition and the Headlight switches. The twin headlights draw between 8 to 10 Amps.
I’m in for a set for a 2006 B650 that will be housed under seat shipped to 78681 . PM a total and your PayPal Name.

·
Administrator
17,398 Posts
OK, one thing that I must say about relay placement. The top dash box will need a hole drilled in it so the wires can fit. The relays need to be dry. The relays may be able to be wire tied to the faring sub frame if you pick a dry spot.

The under seat, the relays may fit next to the battery. This may be the easiest one to do but requires 4 wires to be snaked down. These 4 wires will be in a sheath so just one small cable to snake down.

I will take some pictures.

This needs to be removed from No1photo's post. I'll figure a Forum page for it to fit in. Maybe in the FAQ section. The site owners Admon are trying to crack the password part of the Knowledge Base. If so that would be a good place for this.

·
Administrator
17,398 Posts
Moved most of this to its own thread.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
From my reading this mod will make the Stock Headlights perform at 99% of bulbs designed output .....there by making the LED upgrade unnecessary. I just want better Low Beams and no smoke at the handlebars.

·
Administrator
17,398 Posts
The mod has two benefits.

The headlights may be brighter after this mod. The stock wiring is about 18 gauge and does not pass a lot of current. This mod kits are about 12 Gauge so a huge improvement.

The power (Amp) draw going thru the THREE switches. The ignition switch, Low/High switch on left handle bar and the Starter button switch on the right handle bar.

This is a basic idea of how this works. I will use SPDT relays that have an 87a pin so the relays are off on low beam and switched on for high beam. This is something an electrician like Ibuzzard and a fre other members may understand but for you electrical Ludites, don't worry, it will work. It may make this system a 1 relay instead of the two in the following diagram.
Twin headlight relays.png

·
Registered
348 Posts
As i planned and failed to do the relay mod the last year, and so i plan to make it in the next months, i have a question:
why not put the relays between the two fron light?

I've put a fuse on the side of the battery (where the connectors for the computer and another fuse), run a couple of big wires along the frame, then to the airbox, and they comes out over the horn.
I've bought a pair of male/female connectors made for the bulbs, and the plan is to use them to put the relays "between" the original wiring and the bulbs. The two relays will stay in the tiny space between the two frontlight.

There's something bad in this idea?

·
Administrator
17,398 Posts
As I planned and failed to do the relay mod last year, and so I plan to make it in the next months, I have a question:
why not put the relays between the two front light?

I've put a fuse on the side of the battery (where the connectors for the computer and another fuse), run a couple of big wires along the frame, then to the airbox, and they comes out over the horn.
I've bought a pair of male/female connectors made for the bulbs, and the plan is to use them to put the relays "between" the original wiring and the bulbs. The two relays will stay in the tiny space between the two front lights.

There's something bad in this idea?
No, nothing bad. But you must keep the rain from getting to the relays.

·
Registered
348 Posts
This is a rushed schematics i've done in the time between my previous post and now (so pls pardon me, it is ugly):

The advantage is that (apart from the big wires from the battery) you can "bypass" the mod and return to the original state if needed/wanted, by just unplugging the new connectors and plugging the originals (i'm a bit obsessed about making non-permanent mods)

The two relays are just drawn there for clarity (LOL): they will go between the front lights.

No, nothing bad. But you must keep the rain from getting to the relays.
Yup. My reasoning is that the relays, if using isolated fastons or shrinking tubes, will be as waterproof as the OEM connectors, so even a good rubber tape wrapping will suffice.
Don't you agree?

-edit-
Oh, i've seen your schematics just now... i did'nt want to jump on your feet, sorry

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,398 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
I'm not sure why you would need a quick disconnect SAE connector in there. I don't know the official rating of those (probably varies depending on the quality, age, and how many times it has been plugged and unplugged), but I wouldn't want to run more than 10 or 15 amps max through it. Also, most of the pre-wired connectors only have 18 ga. wire, not nearly large enough to safely power those circuits listed. I would just run a 12 ga. wire with fuse direct to the battery.

·
Administrator
17,398 Posts
FYI, I have 1 set of these kits. But I made an order for 3 more but the shipping from China will be April 24th. So mid May I'll have a couple of kits done. I currently have 3 members that want a kit.

But anyone can buy these kits from Ebay or EasternBeaver and build their own. I am only offering an easy plug in kit that will still need some routing of wires.

This relay kit has a male H4 plug and 2 female H4 plugs. No need for another connector or cutting of factory wiring.

Relays.jpg

Relays 2.jpg

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Dave, I'm confused by your diagram above. I thought the relays draw the power directly from the battery so bypassing the switches. Does the one male H4 plug connect to the original lighting wiring harness for both headlights to turn on? Then where do the headlights draw their power from to bypass the amperage through the switches? My electrical intelligence is rather limited.

·
Administrator
17,398 Posts
Uncle, Here is the harness unfolded.

The 2 OEM headlight plugs this harness plugs it to only uses 1.
The negative wire from the battery will go to those two ground lugs.

Relays.jpg

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I understand now. Thanks for explaining!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Two comments:
1) Before I messed with wiring and relays, I'd replace the stock bulbs with LEDs. Among other advantages, they draw less current. I put LED replacements on all bulbs except the instrument panel last year, and they work fine.
2) IMHO, any project involving wiring should start by connecting very low-gauge stranded wires to the battery + and -, running the wires to the front, and attaching them to a power/ground/fuse block (e.g., Rowe or Denali). Mine lives in the Burgman 650's center glove compartment. Take a T-tap from any wire that is live only when the ignition switch is on, and run it to the relay in the fuse block. (I tapped into the "cigarette lighter" positive wire, because it was very close). Now you have both switched and unswitched fused power and ground to run whatever accessories you install up front.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts