Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so its sunday morning and im sitting here with coffee and finally getting around to the other sub forums on the site.a common thread i am seeing is a very common issue of lack of customer support from suzuki. , i also own a suzuki M109R and i just got my burgie ( i chose the burgman 400 as im a member of the Oregon scooter club and its a very popular model among my fellow riders). I wanted to just elaborate for a mement that i am convinced this position is corporate wide with suzuki across all thier divisions. I work for a GM dealership adn about 4 years ago or so, my company decided to take on Suzuki automobiles as a addition to the GM franchise. i can tell you the vehicle were nice, well made, but as with any vehicle,they need repairs too. I want to tell you guys that Suzuki dealer support for parts and service is HORRIBLE ! the main reason you dont see many suzuki automobile dealers around is they screw thier franchisies and that just screws the customers...i could go on and on with examples but that would be a longer thread. after 1.5 years of trying to sell and service thier overpriced vehiles and not able to get support for parts quickly when a car is broken, the owner of my company Literally threw them off the lot. they came in one day and made some demands that were ridiculous, the owner just said enough of this nonesense and 3 days later, there wasnt a Suzuki on the lot...POOF,all gone !

the trouble is I love my M109 and my two Suzuki Quads AND this burgman for thier performance and styling...but Jaysus H Keriste ! why cant suzuki take a hint from other manufactures and support the dealers so the dealers can support thier customers...

I can tell you that the way Kia got such a strong foothold in america was becasue they supported thier dealer network and allowed them to do ANYTHING it took to make a customer happy...PERIOD ! if suzuki took a similar poition, ther is no telling how far they could go !

and with that my friends....im off to grab another cup of coffee

have a great Sunday wherever you may be !

·
Registered
338 Posts
As purchaser of over 75 new bikes since 1955---and recent years at least 9 new Honda Bikes/scooters, 3 Suzuki, Yamaha TMAX-----I find they all can be dealt when approached in the right manner. Remember dealer is the importer's customer, we are the dealer's customer....but they have to make money to stay in business, nothing is free. New bikes have warranty (too short in most cases). Older out of warranty, something busts, you are on own.

I find as consumer, maybe Honda bike parts service a little better, Suzuki parts service fine unless you get partsman who is idiot or shop owner who doesn't want to order parts right now. My selling dealer will not get my next new purchase as.....they mark parts prices up with big "bump" and although I do not use them for service( I do my own except for warranty) they do not do quick turn around service. My bike/scooter is my prime transport by choice

Suzuki made the GEO metro---3 cyl good car----in Japan they may be the leader in the mini or K class---I was given 550cc Van by one of my employees-----good used car/good Suzuki parts and Service, right in my neighborhood.

One thing that bothers me----as purchaser of only new bikes-----and one a year as long as I afford it-----Hardly any dealer or importer actually asks me to buy or HD for that matter(had everything from factory sidecar outfit on down) or BMW (owner since 1958). Guess none need the business. Probably this "lack of support" is the US is that here, scooters/motorcycles are not really viewed as a serious part of the tranporatation network--more like toys they are....and the chickens that ride them and won't in the rain/cold/snow.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Out of around 50 bikes over the last 42 years I think I've owned more Suzukis than any other brand. Didn't plan it that way, just how it worked out.
Out of all the makers I'll say that I think Suzuki builds the core of the bike fairly well but their fit and finish is usually the worst of the Japanese makers, not awful particularly, just pretty industrial and, well, cheap looking.
I've only had one dealing with Suzuki corporate and they seemed cooperative enough so I can't really comment on what its like if you have a real problem.
I do think that this recession has hit Suzuki hard, I think they aren't in particularly good financial shape as witnessed by not bringing in some bikes for a year and continually running 0% financing deals.
Its unfortunate, they often seem to come up with good bikes but seem to not be able to really exploit the market. For example, the 650 VStrom is one of their best sellers. Until the newest makeover they could only manage to offer some very overpriced luggage that is poorly made and thought out and some other tacked on looking accessories such as heated grips. That bike could easily own the light touring market because it is definitely the most bang for the buck but they let the aftermarket do what they should have done.
The 400 Burgman seems similar to me. Its very well designed and thought out and should really own the 400 scooter market. Somehow it seems like they could do so much more.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Here is 'Urop' I think it's a bit different. Although Suzuki did cull some of it's dealers here in the UK last year, we have generally good customer support from Suzuki GB. Whatever you need, if the dealer hasn't got it on the shelf, it's there the next day. My Vstrom 1000 had running issues that the dealer wasn't too sure about. The next day a genuine Suzuki master tech was on the premises to look at my bike. He took her out and when he came back undertook the work himself to correct the problem at no cost. My bike wasn't even in warranty. I've owned many bikes over the last 43 years, many jap ones too. I find Suzuki fit and finish, especially on my new Burgman to be really good. No problems, a view I believe that is supported by the many customer surveys around the world, especially JDP where Suzuki came joint 3rd with Yamaha after Victory and HD. We all get 2 years warranty over here in europe too. Of course, years ago Suzi used to be a bit flaky on paint finish, but it's much much better now. If only they'd use stainless fastners. In our very wet cold salty weather, the chromed bolts don't last too long unless you cover them in grease. I personnally think the problems for importers in the States is the sheer vastness of you country. They underestimate how difficult it is to get parts moving around in a timely manner and the importance of good dealer network which is supported.

·
Registered
739 Posts
This is interesting.. I am a refugee from Piaggio as I became very concerned about the lack of support they gave to their dealers and customers.... so more of the same... I suspect that it has something to do with the size of the dealer.. I bought my Burgman from a dealer who is the oldest Suzuki MC dealer in the US.. But interesting.. The guy across the street from me is a service writer at what was a Saturn dealership that switched to Suzuki when Saturn went away.. He says he can't stand them and has transferred to a Buick dealership owned by the same organization.

In both of these cases, you have a new dealer.. (The OP and this example) who can't stand Suzuki dealer/customer service.. I have had no issues for my bike and am very impressed with everything so far (only 2800 miles or so in 4 months.. so I'm still new at this one..)

·
Registered
208 Posts
All I can say about the Suzuki, Triumph, CanAm dealer that I bought my 2011 650 Ex from is that their service department really sucks.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I guess I am lucky to live in Ocala, FL. The Suzuki dealer and the service department are top notch. Never had any problems with them.

Bill

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I have NEVER had a problem with my selling & servicing dealer - Bettencourt's Suzuki & Honda.in Bridgewater, MA..... I have been buying from them and using their service dept........and all of the techs are just top notch!!! Let's hear it for at least one dealer....... :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
739 Posts
v8eyedoc said:
I have NEVER had a problem with my selling & servicing dealer - Bettencourt's Suzuki & Honda.in Bridgewater, MA..... I have been buying from them and using their service dept........and all of the techs are just top notch!!! Let's hear it for at least one dealer....... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Great to hear & this backs up my experience there.. I bought mine from them and I find them to be really great and professional...Although I wish they had some sort of a place where you culd wait while they are working on my bike.. Huge parts & accessories department.. Good people.. !

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I think, as always it can be a mixed picture on how good dealers are, and it can be pretty much the same for all manufacturers whether Suzuki, Truimph, Honda etc etc. Also, don't look on forums like this for accurate information. You may spot a trend for a particular dealer/area but not for the brand overall. People with a beef nearly always post. Most people who are happy rarely post to say how happy they are and how good their dealer is! If someone has had a bad dealer experience then the dealer and Suzuki must be bad!!...if you see what I mean. And you can understand it if they think that too. Exceptions aside, it's my belief that overwhelmingly Suzuki owners wherever they are have a very reasonable dealer experience.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I see good comments on people and their local dealers------but real problem is travel, having ridden in 49 states, strong national and common national dealership network is important. You have problem=you need help now.

HD is good, BMW has too few dealers(and too many problems),in the scooter world both Suzuki and Honda have good network. Vespa/Piaggio really no strong nationwide network (Vespa was great in US when Sears sold them, but that is over 40 years ago....and they had great parts service).

In my second retirement---I spent for 10 years, six months a year wandering on my bike/scooter so required dealers now and then as stuff broke/wore out. Honda had the best deal with new bikes---HRC, Honda Riders Club---they would come get you, pay cheap motel and food and it was in their best interest to get you going quickly, I used this many times for warranty----even flat tires. Guess it is too expensive for them now. In third retirement now and got married, so my time on road is down=sucks.

Bike magazines do readers dis-service when they test stuff and do not mention number of US dealers for example.

Suzuki was good for me---GS500E, 64,000 miles in 15 months---one warranty problem, fork seals in first 2 weeks.
OEM chain and sprockets went 44,000--replacement, cheap chain and front sprocket served for the rest of the time with me------sure cheaper than just a drive belt for Burgman 400! that are due each 14,500 miles! My second Burgman has been good so far-14,000 miles----first one had oil leak problem------so I went in dealer's showroom and bought new/left over TMAX=nice/fun experience. But high miles, could be maint. nitemare.

Was in Dalton GA today---Tammy Kirk Honda-----sad but business really slow, Suzuki down the street same, but both are considered good dealers and I hope they make it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
nitrogary said:
so its sunday morning and im sitting here with coffee and finally getting around to the other sub forums on the site.a common thread i am seeing is a very common issue of lack of customer support from suzuki.
Try owning a Piaggio...

Scott Fraser
Calgary

·
Registered
338 Posts
Piaggio/Vespa Although I am primarily a motorcyclist and have done most of my miles on them (over 1.5 million) I have a soft spot for scooters and really like them. That said---there are 4 Vespas in my past----lived in Italy=no parts problem, Germany fine also....if you knew the right people, long time ago Sears was great, had 2 Sears 125's, parts were never a problem-----this year looked at/rode new Vespa 300 4 strokes---ride fine, Vespa is probably the only current scooter where you can reach near buffet free ride(nose close to windshield is secret). So looked, sampled dealers---no dealer in Chattanooga, really not going to ride 125 miles to dealer if I had problems but did look in Nashville and Knoxville---both dealers Vespa not their prime business, had to ask for somebody to wait on me......I looked into Keys(not cheap), they want $18 for oil filter and they spec oil you cannot find and I am aware of Italian parts service in US---I had Guzzi V7 and friend has Ducati....he waited 5 months for replacement swing arm. Just isn't in the cards for me to spend near $7500 with accessories, no dealer in neighborhood, expensive parts and then when are they here? Belt change at 9,000 miles. Cross country trip and down for parts not good idea in my book.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AWESOME109 said:
Welcome to the M109R and Burgman 400 owners club. :thumbup:
dude, are you on "riders" ? also ?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
v8eyedoc said:
Bettencourt's is top notch, I frequented them for years before relocating. They did once sell me a stolen '83 Magna 1100, however they took 100% responsibility and made me more than whole, selling me a shiny new '87 Magna 700 for the same price...

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Thing must be bad over here then as most people I know who have been to the USA
have come back and said how good customer service is over there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts