Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 8,900 miles on my 650. This weekend I'm doing a 500-mile ride with the SCRC. When I get back that rear tire will definitely need to be replaced as it only has a few hundred more miles of life left to it.

I already have a new rear tire that I purchased months ago. Just wondering if anyone knows what the labor costs might be to replace the tire. I'm sure there's a lot of work involved.... much more than replacing the front tire. Thanks in advance.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,074 Posts
I took mine off (about 1/2 hr off and 1/2 hr back on) and took it to a dealer for mounting and balancing, $25.

If he took it off add $50 -$75

PS I had the tire
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
rear tire install

I just paid $67 to have the Pirelli put on. OUCH! I got 9200 mi on the oringinal Bridgestone though and price of Pirelli was cheap so I cna't complain too much. I brought dealer the tire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: rear tire install

Sharkey said:
I just paid $67 to have the Pirelli put on. OUCH! I got 9200 mi on the oringinal Bridgestone though and price of Pirelli was cheap so I cna't complain too much. I brought dealer the tire.
Which tire do you like better, the Pirelli or Bridgestone?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,363 Posts
Pirellis for me. I get a much better ride with them & so far I am getting better mileage out of them. I am on my 2nd Pirelli rear & my first Pirelli front. Have my next set sitting in the garage. I'd like to try the new Pirelli Diablo for comparison. It'll be a while before I wear out my current supply though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pauljo said:
Pirellis for me. I get a much better ride with them & so far I am getting better mileage out of them. I am on my 2nd Pirelli rear & my first Pirelli front. Have my next set sitting in the garage. I'd like to try the new Pirelli Diablo for comparison. It'll be a while before I wear out my current supply though.
I have a pair of Bridgestones (front + rear) sitting in the garage. I also have a Pirelli but can't remember if it was a front or rear tire... it was purchased at a time where Pirelli only offered (or made) one of the tires but I can't remember if that was front or rear. So I take it Pirelli now makes both? If its the rear that I have, I guess I'll have to make a decision as to which manufacturer's tire to use for the replacement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,363 Posts
Pirelli has always made both. There was (and still is) confusion over an inventory number change on the front tire. Many dealers thought the front was unavailable due to that. Hopefully they'll avoid that issue with the new Diablo line. If you'll search the forum on Pirelli you'll find my post giving detail on the model number to ask for. Or, you could buy a Diablo & try it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pauljo said:
Pirelli has always made both. There was (and still is) confusion over an inventory number change on the front tire. Many dealers thought the front was unavailable due to that. Hopefully they'll avoid that issue with the new Diablo line. If you'll search the forum on Pirelli you'll find my post giving detail on the model number to ask for. Or, you could buy a Diablo & try it out.
Thanks. I may just do that!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,593 Posts
Hey Paul, is the Diablo generally available? I'm going to Americade June 6th and I'll look for them there. I'll be ready for tires a little later this summer but if they have them at Lake George I may give them a try.

Don
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,278 Posts
Varies wildly depending on the dealer. For the 400, I was quoted (on the bike price) from $62.50 to $20 (plus tax) for each wheel. Just so happens the low quote was a little shop very close to the house and I just had them mount 2 new Pirellis on the 400. As slick as the rear tire was, no way was I riding it farther than absolutely necessary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,363 Posts
DonRich90 said:
Hey Paul, is the Diablo generally available? I'm going to Americade June 6th and I'll look for them there. I'll be ready for tires a little later this summer but if they have them at Lake George I may give them a try.

Don
Don,

At least two forum members have reported buying them recently. So they are becoming available. I'm not sure about "generally available".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
Pirelli rear tire impression

Chuck to answer your question, I have to choose the Pirelli over Bridgestone.
Of course I only have about 300miles on the Pirelli so it is a little soon to tell.

The ride seems smoother. If I get the same mileage as the OEM tire (9200) I will be very happy since it was 1/2 the price of the Bridgestone. I really haven't tried the twisties extensively but what I have ridden, the Pirelli corners well.

I heard the Diablo was the replacement. It might be a little soft to get the mileage out of it that we got out of the old Pirelli. Time will tell. I will monitor sight for comments from owners using Diablo.

Ride safe, Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Pirelli rear tire impression

Sharkey said:
Chuck to answer your question, I have to choose the Pirelli over Bridgestone.
Of course I only have about 300miles on the Pirelli so it is a little soon to tell.

The ride seems smoother. If I get the same mileage as the OEM tire (9200) I will be very happy since it was 1/2 the price of the Bridgestone. I really haven't tried the twisties extensively but what I have ridden, the Pirelli corners well.

I heard the Diablo was the replacement. It might be a little soft to get the mileage out of it that we got out of the old Pirelli. Time will tell. I will monitor sight for comments from owners using Diablo.

Ride safe, Chris
Thanks for your feedback, Chris. I put a Bridgestone rear tire replacement on yesterday ($65 labor charge). Next time I will go with Pirelli and see what difference it makes - and I do extensive riding in the twisties so if anyone can comment on what that's like with the Pirelli's I'd appreciate it. My rear tire lasted about 8,900 miles and the front looks like it may still be good for another 3,000 miles. Don't know if Pirelli's last that long but a softer ride would be worth any sacrifice in longevity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,323 Posts
I guess I'm odd man out but I liked the feel of the OEM Bridgestones over my current Pirellis.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,363 Posts
Chuck,

I ride twisties too. The Pirelli tires do fine. I believe Allwalk posted that the front Pirelli seemed to turn in a bit faster than the Bridgestone. Perhaps it does. But I've been using it long enough that I don't really notice. Allan is also running 15w fork oil, and that might change the feel of the tire.

The new Diablo is something we cannot speculate on until someone gets a chance to put some miles on a set. It is being promoted as a high performance tire with superior grip on wet surfaces. To me that hints of higher traction, faster wear. But that is a guess. A couple of people have referred to it as a replacement for the GTS series. I really don't think that it is. I think it is simply a new tire in their lineup. An alternative to the GTS series with different performance characteristics.

I don't really advocate mixing tire brands or models on a motorcycle. Tire compounds have different levels of grip, and tread patterns within a series are designed to complement each other (front and rear). I did use up my original Bridgestone front with a Pirelli on the rear. But the Bridgestone got very squirelly as it neared the end - it actually scared me a time or two. And I did not get the full benefit of the improved ride of the Pirellis until I had them both front and rear. If you have just mounted a new Bridgestone in the rear, maybe going with another Bridgestone in the front is the best thing for now. I hate Bridgestone tires in general, but I'll throw that out as a thought anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Paul, I didn't realize that it makes that much of a difference when mixing different brands of tires... I've always heard about it but never from someone who's experienced it. Thanks for sharing that tidbit.

Actually I broke my rear tire in on the twisties which, I'm not sure was a smart thing to do during the first 100 miles... but I did ride it 'gentler' than I normally do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,323 Posts
I may be wrong but I seem to notice/feel the tread pattern on the front Pirelli more. The Pirelli has a groove/tread that runs the circumfrence of the front tire in a wave pattern where the Bridgestones have treads that run at an angle to the center of the tire. I wonder if this tread pattern is what I'm feeling. Air pressure doesnt seem to help too much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,363 Posts
allwalk said:
I may be wrong but I seem to notice/feel the tread pattern on the front Pirelli more. The Pirelli has a groove/tread that runs the circumfrence of the front tire in a wave pattern where the Bridgestones have treads that run at an angle to the center of the tire. I wonder if this tread pattern is what I'm feeling. Air pressure doesnt seem to help too much.
Allan,

I don't know. You are either more sensitive to it than I am, or the stiffer fork action is amplifying the feel of the tire. I run 33 psi pressure in the front iaw Suzuki's recommendation. I've put about 4000 miles on the tire at this point and remain quite happy with it. I'm really interested in seeing how it wears. The last 1500 miles or so on the Bridgestone it was a piece of junk - scary. The Pirelli rears have worn down to replacement time without impacting handling much at all - I'm hoping the front will do the same.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top