Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to combine two activities we love into one enjoyable little day adventure. We love to cruise on our Burgie 400 and we love hiking, especially on interesting trails with great views. Did some looking around on the Internet and found Topanga Canyon State Park, twenty-five miles from our house. We left on the Burgie, which now has 400 miles on it and is still in the break-in period, at 8:30 this morning. For a Saturday morning on a beautiful June day in southern California, the traffic wasn't bad. We headed north from the LAX area and just enjoyed the drive. We passed Marina del Ray, then Santa Monica, then Sunset Blvd. A couple of miles later was the turn-off--Topanga Canyon Road. We went from urban beach environment to twisting curves into the green hills in an instant. The ride up the mountain road was great; living in the city, it was nice seeing country side again and all the green. We drove through a small town and then turned right on Entrada, just kept going up steeper and ever curvier roads.

Entrance into the park for our vehicle was $5.00, a dollar cheaper than a car. There were lots of picnic tables and decent bathrooms next to the parking lot. The many miles of hiking trails at the park are great. They sell a map of the entire park area for $2.00, which we referred to often as we walked. We took off on Eagle Rock Fire Road, a nice wide dirt road, then took the turn off onto the Santa Inez Trail, which twisted and turned over the hillside and gave us some spectular views of the surrounding mountains. Hard to believe we were only twenty-five miles from home! After a while, we were hiking in a leafy forest by a stream and ate our crackers and cheese and apples, then sweated and hiked in the bright sun through sunny meadows and lush wildflowers. All in all, we walked for several hours and logged about six or seven miles. It was great. We finally reached the parking lot, hot, tired, and sweaty with burrs on the legs of our jeans. It added to our adventure when we hopped back onto the scooter and took off down that steep canyon road. It was a little scary to go down. I was riding behind my husband David, and he worked hard just trying to keep from losing control on the curves. It was easier going uphill. We had one close call where we slipped a little, but David caught the bike. Whew! The ride home was much more congested but on the scooter, at least we could feel the breezes. We were pretty hungry and we could also smell the food cooking in the various restaurants we passed! Hearing from other forum members that an occasional burst into 5000 rpms and even beyond won't kill the bike, David gave it some more throttle, just to get a taste of post-break-in. Oh, it was great to feel that energy! Another hundred to go and we can break loose more.

I don't know how many folks "out there" enjoy combining scooting and hiking, but if there are some, especially in the L.A. area, let me know, and I'll post more of our upcoming mini adventures. Turns out there are lots of places relatively nearby where we can easily ride the Burgie and then hike for a while.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Thanks for the post, Chris. You are lucky to have found such a nice destination close to your home; I'm sure you'll return. I look forward to hearing about the other places you find as you roll past the break-in period on your new scooter.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Compelling story, Chris! I have a home in the Santa Monica/West LA area and when I am there always wish I had the Blue Dolphin or the 400 with me. Topanga is a great ride. I also want to take one of the bikes to Solvang. Oh well, maybe one one of my trips to LA I'll get it together and tow them out. Have you ridden Angeles Crest Highway? I would like to know more about that.

Enjoy and keep safe with all those lane-splitters!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Great Story Chris,
Sounds like a lot of fun. I am wanting to take the bike on a camping trip just as soon as I research and purchase a tent! Keep the stories coming.
Perry R.

·
Registered
822 Posts
santafedr said:
I have a home in the Santa Monica/West LA area and when I am there always wish I had the Blue Dolphin or the 400 with me. Topanga is a great ride. I also want to take one of the bikes to Solvang. Oh well, maybe one one of my trips to LA I'll get it together and tow them out. Have you ridden Angeles Crest Highway? I would like to know more about that.
I've done Topanga, also driven to Solvang, AND have ridden Angeles Crest Highway! I'll tell you, there's roads out here that make you swear you're in another country, let alone Los Angeles County! If you can manage to get your bike out here, I'll lead you through the Santa Monica mountains, where you can spend an entire day riding through and still not put a dent in a fraction of the available routes. Santa Monica mountains are my general riding ground. In the summer (now), I generally ride them about twice a week just to clear my head of the week's stresses.

Angeles Crest and Solvang I've done with the SCRC, and unfortunately, I didn't pay much attention as to the routes - was just too busy enjoying the breathtaking scenery! The best trip was Lake Isabella, riding alongside the Kern River in an unbelievably scenic ride that touched many senses (touch, smell, vision) in a unique way!

Give me a holler when you're out here with your bike!!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Twoupchris said:
We passed Marina del Ray, then Santa Monica, then Sunset Blvd. A couple of miles later was the turn-off--Topanga Canyon Road. We went from urban beach environment to twisting curves into the green hills in an instant. The ride up the mountain road was great; living in the city, it was nice seeing country side again and all the green. We drove through a small town and then turned right on Entrada, just kept going up steeper and ever curvier roads.
Topanga is fun! Old Topanga is even more fun! Just keep going north on Topanga and make a left at Old Topanga. You'll ride about 9 miles through country/residential twisty/curvy/winding roads with lush foliage. Old Topanga will end at the well-known Mullholland Hwy. Make a left on Mullholland and you'll get some stunning views! When you hit Las Virgenes (Malibu Canyon) road (the first traffic light you'll come to), don't continue on Mullholland - it doesn't sound like your skills are up for that yet. Instead, make a left onto Malibu Canyon and take that back down to PCH.

Once you get some saddle time on the scoot, and get more comfortable with it (ie: not having to concentrate on the curves), give me a holler and I can either give you some great routes, or lead you on them! Which reminds me... last year I organized the first "Los Angeles Burgman Group Ride", which was led by another member here. May do that again later this year.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Chuck, we'd love more mountain riding and appreciate your suggestions. We'll give them a try soon. Maybe we'll even take some pics this time. We've been on the Palos Verdes Peninsula several times with the Burgie, just last weekend with the South Bay Scooter Club, where we nagivated several bobby pin curves. If you do organize a ride, please let us know. We enjoy meeting and riding with other scooter enthusiasts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts