Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those considering the AK 550....This site is dedicated to it.
It needs to be viewed thru a translator,(unless you're fortunate enough to understand without), but is very informative, if you're patient.
Nothing beats a new perspective, sometimes.
Lists of sites of suppliers for add-ons,also.
I use Mozilla Firefox with the "Translate Page" add-on. It does it on the fly. Google translate also, but slower.:unsure:
("Joints Spy " are Fork Seals - translator misses that one).

Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Software

·
Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
4,600 Posts
I do remember looking briefly at that site. Looked again.
Just wanted to say something about some of the posts there.
Saw the one post about engine failure that will cost 2000 Euro to fix. It should be easy to see that actually is more favorable than ONE or even TWO Burgman 650 scooters in the entire series that experienced a CVT failure that cost a lot more at $2500-$3500 (about 2200-3090 Euro) to fix depending where and how much is done by the dealer. Based on a lot of reviewing of that issue on this web site and others it comes down to maybe .5% of all Burgman 650 scooters have that issue from 2003 to today. A lot of AK 550 scooters were sold in Europe and other countries and they only showed up in the USA in 2021 after being on the market since 2017 so I'm not concerned about that kind of issue with my AK.

That is one kind of post/thread that I know some riders here, and also on other forums where I am a member, will latch onto just to try and highlight how bad Kymco is. But they would be wrong. Kymco doesn't build a reputation for a high quality scooter in many major markets like they have done by not being at least up to par with any other maker. There are also riders I personally know who do the same about anything that is not what they like to ride currently. It really doesn't matter what anyone rides, just that they enjoy the ride on what they have.

I also reviewed several other threads there, the good as well as the bad. Major issues have been known to happen on every major brand of bike or scooter on the market and relatively few have been covered by warranty since the problems often happened after warranty ran out. I haven't personally experienced worse than the front bearings of a Burgman 650 failing just after the first year and warranty did not cover that (my 2005 Burgman 650 back in 2007). Fortunately that one was not very expensive to fix though. A new front axle and new bearings took care of that with no further issues.

It is good to have additional resources for parts and such so I'll be keeping this site in my Bookmarks for future reference. So thanks for reminding me of that one. If I do experience a major issue with my AK 550 then that's what it is. If not then that, too, is what it is. I'll keep riding and posting.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
News on the next revamp.Expected first half 2022, in Europe.

And these screenshots of translated pages.
Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Speedometer Automotive design Automotive tire Gauge Steering wheel
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Font Number Screenshot Rectangle Parallel

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Sounds like a very nice version.
Looks like the pricing is expected to be getting closer to the T-Max Tech Max, they nearest for feature set. Priced a few thousand under the equivalent Yamaha.
Seems like Yamaha is at least a little worried about the building competition with Kymco.
Unfortunate that both of the newest Euro5 Kymco scooters or neither of the Yamaha T-Max versions will be available in the USA in the near future so all the new stuff is irrelevant to me.
Although, I do prefer the larger gas tank of the USA version of the 2022 model I do have.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Some members on that French forum have complained of being sold (unknowingly), 'new' old stock.
It seems the way to be forewarned is by the 10th digit in the VIN number.
Azure Rectangle Font Aqua Parallel
Font Rectangle Parallel Brand Logo
Font Rectangle Electric blue Circle Number

The French ,(NOT Europe), now get a 5 Year warranty, It carries conditions tho'. (MUST be dealer serviced, on time etc...)

If they did that here (UK), it may have been more popular.:unsure:
Only nine machines, (including demonstrators) have been registered on UK roads, in 4 years.
Rectangle Font Water Slope Parallel

·
Super Moderator
15,673 Posts
Huh, the update has my attention as my burger ages and the miles pile up.
Wonder if we'll get that here, or just some 2021s marketed as 2022s?

·
Super Moderator
15,673 Posts
I have cruise control (MCruise) on my burger.
I really have not used it much over the years, so that's not really a huge focus.
Wind protection, storage. Yes.

Cruise Control?..... Thought so.:)
I wish you well with that.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Thanks for that VIN description. The 10th digit for mine is "N" which is indeed 2022. So I don't have an old stock model re-labeled as new. I actually have a NEW 2022 USA model. And I still like the color I have best of any of them. As well as a great many other details about this AK 550. 😁

I also didn't use CC much when I had it on my Gold Wing. That was the last bike I had with that feature. So no surprise I really never looked for it in any bike I've owned since. Even the electric adjusting windshield is not a biggie for me. Had that on my last Burgman 650 and normally just left it either up or down based on season. I just need 2 positions and it's OK if it is manual adjustment. ABS is a great safety feature to have. I'm finding the navigation built in to work well for me so far as I figure out how to manage it, which is really good IMO. Mine has very good comfort (something that is VERY subjective and different for every rider) for longer rides and Lots of power to spare for faster highways if I need to be on those. Overall I am really glad to now own one of these scooters. The ONLY thing I miss from my Burgman 650 is the under seat storage. The AK 550 has a lot less storage under the seat, but way better than some other options I could have gone with. Nothing a top case or side cases (or both) cannot solve.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure whether Kymco are frequently changing the AK's fuel capacity, or if their literature is not always accurate, but a few variants exist.
2017-2020 is universally stated as 15 Litres (3.9 US Gallon).

There is a YouTube review that says 12.5 Litres for 20-21, (to slightly increase underseat storage.:unsure:).
When I saw that I thought it a retrograde step.

This Indian news snip also says 12.5 Litres for 2021, and Euro5, published in April 2021.

Some confusion may arise thro' the term "Year" - Is it "Model Year" (USA method) , or "Year Produced"? Model year will be in advance of Year Produced.
2022 'models' being 'produced' during 2021. (Like rjs987's).

We now have none available in UK, the concessionaires say 2022 Euro5 "Available to Order" only. Their accompanying literature says the fuel capacity is 15 Litres!

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
In early 2021, as in just at the end of the first quarter of the year, Kymco introduced the 2021 Euro 5 version with the smaller gas tank. Any reviews that came out after March picked up on this smaller tank spec even if they forgot to mention it was a Euro 5 scooter. I did read/watch several of those reviews. Most of them came out in April. This update did not show up in the USA but only applied to what was sent to Europe and Asia. The specs can be confusing to be sure. I've known other bike makers producing motorcycles half way through one year but labeling them for the next year. Mine is labeled as manufactured in July 2021. It is also labeled as being a 2022 model. Being in the USA I am accustomed to manufacturers labeling per model year. Generally, here, the automotive industry is the same for labeling.

Reactions: Bluestrom13

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Thanks for that VIN description. The 10th digit for mine is "N" which is indeed 2022. So I don't have an old stock model re-labeled as new. I actually have a NEW 2022 USA model. And I still like the color I have best of any of them. As well as a great many other details about this AK 550. 😁

I also didn't use CC much when I had it on my Gold Wing. That was the last bike I had with that feature. So no surprise I really never looked for it in any bike I've owned since. Even the electric adjusting windshield is not a biggie for me. Had that on my last Burgman 650 and normally just left it either up or down based on season. I just need 2 positions and it's OK if it is manual adjustment. ABS is a great safety feature to have. I'm finding the navigation built in to work well for me so far as I figure out how to manage it, which is really good IMO. Mine has very good comfort (something that is VERY subjective and different for every rider) for longer rides and Lots of power to spare for faster highways if I need to be on those. Overall I am really glad to now own one of these scooters. The ONLY thing I miss from my Burgman 650 is the under seat storage. The AK 550 has a lot less storage under the seat, but way better than some other options I could have gone with. Nothing a top case or side cases (or both) cannot solve.
I really wish you’d wax it…it’s so dull in the pictures 😄

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Good stuff in this German forum.

Polini belts fit - (Looks like it's the Primary belt)
Also Yamaha belt fits.(This is the Rear drive one).
Automotive tire Tire Font Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior

Fork seal sizes to buy pattern (better) parts.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
I wonder how that changes the equivalent gear ratio from drive output to rear wheel?
It seems that it does a little since they didn't put the belt cover back on... or maybe that was just to illustrate the change to chain they did.
I notice they set the rear wheel a lot farther out to the rear than it usually is, looking at the axle nut tension adjuster.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
AND you can put a new one on without a tear-down, because you have a master link.
I know you guys like belts - seems the Germans have a similar view point to UK riders - too easily damaged.
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Crankset
13,000 miles - Toast.

(There is also a site selling various sized belt pulleys).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts