Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the deal. Yesterday, my 85 year old neighbor offered to sell me his 1998 Ford Conversion Van, F150, 38000 original miles at a bargain price. Didn't really want it, but bought it anyway!

It had a couple of issues, squirrel had entered the thing, smelled it up, air conditioner doesn't work, etc. So, I took it to the local shop for air conditioner work, steam cleaning, etc.

The shop is a Kymco dealer, used cars, mechanical work, etc. This afternoon, the shop manager called me to tell me that they couldn't find the air conditioner problem, but they were interested in buying the van for a "friend", resale, no doubt.

I am slightly considering the attempt at trading for a 2015 Kymco 700i, plus some dollars of course. How close in quality and value are the Kymco 700i's to the 2015 Burgman 650? I know the Burgman is better, but how much?

They want my van badly, but I already made the stupid mistake of telling them what I paid for the van, $1,000. The thing has zero rust, runs like a top, original owner, etc.

Opinions appreciated.

·
Registered
742 Posts
BMW scooters have the Kymco 700 engine/transmission from what I remember also BMW had a lot of recalls with oils leaking from porous casting.

Greg

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Here is the deal. Yesterday, my 85 year old neighbor offered to sell me his 1998 Ford Conversion Van, F150, 38000 original miles at a bargain price. Didn't really want it, but bought it anyway!

It had a couple of issues, squirrel had entered the thing, smelled it up, air conditioner doesn't work, etc. So, I took it to the local shop for air conditioner work, steam cleaning, etc.

The shop is a Kymco dealer, used cars, mechanical work, etc. This afternoon, the shop manager called me to tell me that they couldn't find the air conditioner problem, but they were interested in buying the van for a "friend", resale, no doubt.

I am slightly considering the attempt at trading for a 2015 Kymco 700i, plus some dollars of course. How close in quality and value are the Kymco 700i's to the 2015 Burgman 650? I know the Burgman is better, but how much?

They want my van badly, but I already made the stupid mistake of telling them what I paid for the van, $1,000. The thing has zero rust, runs like a top, original owner, etc.

Opinions appreciated.
My 2 cents , and remember you asked for it :D

Low mileage vehicles are in big demand and going for big bucks . I would walk away from that dealer , clean that van up and sell it yourself . You might get 5 to 6K for it , then find yourself a nice low mileage Burgman 650 for around 4K . If you think Burgmans are hard to sell , try selling a Kymco . I think you are in the cat bird's seat with that van for $1,000 , take advantage of it . I assure you that dealer would .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I want to ride a Kymco 7 but all the reviews you see conclude it is even more overpriced at MSRP than a Burgman 650, even though it is cheaper. There is a 2 yr warranty I think. As said, the resale will be terrible.

I would sell the van and then deal for cash on either a Burg 6 or Kymco 7 but drive a hard bargain because neither are selling well to any degree.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I appreciate all of the excellent advice. My enthusiasm for a Kymco was extremely slight, but has now disappeared.

Reaper

The van is still at the little shop being steam cleaned ($150), but I will bring it home, advertise on Craigslist, etc. The thing is in pristine condition, with the exception of a minor hole in the rear upholstery, which was caused by a squirrel invasion. Zero rust on body or chrome. No paint flaws.

The van was a rare find, which I wasn't even seeking. I told the 85 year old that the van was worth more, but he just wanted it out of his pole barn. The guy bought it new, took a few trips, then the last few years he's been driving it monthly for short errands. He is a retired mechanic, so understood that it should be driven periodically.

In fact, the owner even had all of the manuals, window sticker, three keys, etc. Included a built in TV, plus included a small microwave, porta potty, etc.:kermit:

Just wish I could find an old motorcycle/scooter deal like this, since cages don't interest me much!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Plenty of deals on older scooters as they don't have any resale value...just search, they wont come looking for you.
I totally agree. However, I plan on finding a deal on a new 2013 to 2015, since this will be my last bike. When it warms up a bit, I'll be visiting Suzuki/Honda dealers in Michigan and surrounding states in an attempt to trade in my Gold Wing.

I've already called a few dealers, but a couple won't accept my Wing in trade, since it's worth more than a new Burgman. To me, that is strange. I would consider a low mileage used Burgman, but only 2013 up, since want the upgraded CVT system. I believe that I can buy a new Burgman 650 for less than 9k OTD. In reality, I would like to just trade the Wing, avoid the hassle of selling, etc.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These people used to have great pricing but I don't know how they are on trades:

http://www.hondaeasttoledo.net/
Thanks much, Westnash. They do have a new 2014 Burgman 650 listed for $9999. I just sent them an email inquiring about a possible trade. If it sounds good, I'll take a ride down there, a several hour ride.

·
Registered
175 Posts
It has been my experience that normally you always get screwed when you're trading in a vehicle to get a new one. The dealer will either give you a lot for your trade in but will will want full price on the new vehicle, or they'll low ball your trade in and discount the new vehicle. I get it, the dealer is in the business to make money and not giveaway vehicles.

But when I traded in my 09 Tmax on a new 2013 Burgman 650 in May of 2014, I actually did fairly well. I bought the Tmax new in 09 and paid about $6,000 for it. Drove it for 5 years and 20,000 miles and got $3850 trade in value on the Burgman which the dealer discounted $2,000 off msrp and didn't add in those b/s charges like freight and setup. I know, I was buying a year old model but the 2013 and 2014 models are identical but for the color, and I much prefer the nice pearl white of the 2013 compared to the flat grey of the 2014.

Yes, I could have found an older used Burgman for a much much better price but I wanted a 2013+ model and wanted it new so I'd know it's service history for sure. And if I bought used I'd need to sell the Tmax myself and I seriously doubt I would have been able sell it for anything close to what the dealer gave me for it. In AZ at least, on new vehicles you only pay sales tax on the difference between the sales price minus the trade in, so there's a bit of a savings trading a vehicle in. In this case $327.00. I just checked Craigslist, the dealer still has my old Tmax on their sales floor nearly a year later.

As for the OP situation, it sounds like he has a lot of equity in the Ford. I would find out what it's worth in the local market, find out what the dealer would give him for it as trade in, then decide if that difference is worth the trouble of selling it himself. My guess is he will do better selling it himself then walking into the dealer with cash and negotiate the price for the scooter.

As for Kymco, I owned a 07 Xciting 500 scooter which was stone axe reliable in all the time I owned it. Fit and finish was as good as any brand I have ever owned and I've owned nearly every popular brand of bike currently being made. I would not hesitate to buy another Kymco, which is made in Taiwan not Mainland China.

·
Registered
175 Posts
How does Kymco 500 compare to Burgman 400, which I think is best scooter in the world.
I wouldn't know, I've never ridden a 400 Burgman.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm on my 4th Burgman 650 and I'm enjoying my new 2012 Executive.

My 2013 Kymco Xciting 500RI ABS is a cross between my past 2009 T-MAX 500 and the Executive. The fit and finish and robust construction of the Kymco is easily on par with the B650 but it beats it in the twisties and the Kymco will leave the B650 as did the T-max. The ABS brakes on the Kymco are better than on my B650 and the non-abs brakes on my past T-max 500 are/ were better than both of them.

NO scooters have good resale value.

I haven't ridden one but I bet the Myroad 700 would just dust the B650.

Sam:D

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Listen , I don't know how much you'll get out of the van selling it yourself , but I'm reasonably sure you'll get at least twice what that dealer would have given you for it . If you are patient I think you can get enough to get a nice used Burgman 650 , or very close to it . Before you put the van up for sale detail it to the max , even power wash the engine and engine bay .

CLEAN SELLS !!

TheReaper!

I appreciate all of the excellent advice. My enthusiasm for a Kymco was extremely slight, but has now disappeared.

Reaper

The van is still at the little shop being steam cleaned ($150), but I will bring it home, advertise on Craigslist, etc. The thing is in pristine condition, with the exception of a minor hole in the rear upholstery, which was caused by a squirrel invasion. Zero rust on body or chrome. No paint flaws.

The van was a rare find, which I wasn't even seeking. I told the 85 year old that the van was worth more, but he just wanted it out of his pole barn. The guy bought it new, took a few trips, then the last few years he's been driving it monthly for short errands. He is a retired mechanic, so understood that it should be driven periodically.

In fact, the owner even had all of the manuals, window sticker, three keys, etc. Included a built in TV, plus included a small microwave, porta potty, etc.:kermit:

Just wish I could find an old motorcycle/scooter deal like this, since cages don't interest me much!

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Listen , I don't know how much you'll get out of the van selling it yourself , but I'm reasonably sure you'll get at least twice what that dealer would have given you for it . If you are patient I think you can get enough to get a nice used Burgman 650 , or very close to it . Before you put the van up for sale detail it to the max , even power wash the engine and engine bay .

CLEAN SELLS !!

TheReaper!
Reaper,

I greatly appreciate your advice, which is excellent. Presently, it is being steam cleaned, just the interior. I have a power washer, so when I pick it up Monday, the engine will get cleaned by me.

Hate to admit, but paid just $1,000, but the thing is probably worth $4,000 or more. I may even keep the van just to escape the next Michigan Winter, which as you know, was brutal the last few months.

However, not sure I want to drive a 17 year old vehicle when I have a 2015 Tacoma Limited 4WD.

In old age, I've become extremely indecisive, as you've probably determined.

In reality, I really want a new Burgman 650, warranty, plus it should last the remaining riding years I have left! I always carry my dog, so the Burgman must be equipped with top box, armrests, etc. Plus, want the supposedly upgraded CVT.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
May I ask how you intend to take your dog on the bike? I've been trying to find a safe way to take mine for a long time

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
May I ask how you intend to take your dog on the bike? I've been trying to find a safe way to take mine for a long time

My dog, a 33# Pug/Lapso Apso, rides directly on the pillion of my Gold Wing. He is harnessed, double strapped to the armrests. We have logged over 65000 miles on three different bikes. I've never found a better pillion passenger, which is an understatement.

The little character seems to enjoy the ride even more than me. he has doubled my joy of riding. He rides well, and have forgotten to attach his straps a few time, but he's smart, sits right there like a human. In fact, he's smarter than many!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Do you think if I got those hook points to put under the passenger handles and used those to tie him down to that it would be safe enough? I have a jack Russell that just loves to be with me and it would be fun to have him with. I looked at those doc carriers for bikes but 200+ is steep for it. And then you couldn't open the seat easily.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Here's how my two Poms travel with me...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts