Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last summer I installed Kuryakyn grips on my '08 650. As the instructions said, after removing the old grips, I sanded down the ridges of the plastic throttle tube (not sure of the proper name) to the point the new grip slid on with resistance. Unfortunately, when I did this I did not check to feel how the throttle worked and, after glueing the grip on found the throttle grip would turn but, not freely return on its own. It acts and feels just like my 400, on which I've installed the Cat O-ring as a throttle lock (those who've done it know exactly what I'm talking about). I would like to get it to working right. With it glued on, will the grip pry off or, can I expect to trash it in removing it? Also, what will this do to the throttle tube? If it is ruined, is it an easy thing to replace? I was hoping it would loosen up over time but, I've probably put 5k miles on it since, with no discernible change in the feel of it.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Scooter_Maniac one suggestion before go further and spend money, use hairdryer or heat gun and gently heat grip to soften glue, not overheat, try and move grip when glue becomes soft. Patience is your friend !

Suggest put bike year & model in your avatar, it easier to find there.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scooter_Maniac one suggestion before go further and spend money, use hairdryer or heat gun and gently heat grip to soften glue, not overheat, try and move grip when glue becomes soft. Patience is your friend !

Suggest put bike year & model in your avatar, it easier to find there.

Good luck
Thanks, I'll try the hair dryer. I've got an '09 400 and an '08 650 which, is why I specified the year and model in my first sentence;)

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
If you had just placed glue on the outside of the throttle tube there should not have been a way for it to get between the tube and the bar as the throttle tube is not perforated. Has the throttle tension changed perhaps?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you had just placed glue on the outside of the throttle tube there should not have been a way for it to get between the tube and the bar as the throttle tube is not perforated. Has the throttle tension changed perhaps?
I haven't changed anything to cause the tension to change. The glue went on as instructed and, I don't think it got on anything it wasn't supposed to. The impression I get is that, even though I had sanded down the ridges of the throttle tube, the resulting fit was tighter than it should have been and the tube is being compressed some to where it is dragging on the handlebar. I could be wrong but, this is what it seems like.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts