Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all;

Greetings :) from western Chester County in Pennsylvania. I am really new to all of this (riding and the forum). My quest began a few months ago. I did a lot of research (rider reviews and of course the burgmanusa forum), and I talked to 5 or 6 experienced riders at work. All research and discussions led me to the Burgman 650 for my 54 mile one-way commute to center city Philadelphia. I purchased, just today, an '04 silver Burgman :D. I recently obtained my learner's permit, and I have signed up for the MSF course to get my real license. My plan is to take it slow and easy before starting the commute, and my real hope is that the Burgie becomes more than a vehicle for a commute and that it becomes an alternate means of enjoyment. I already have a 26' sailboat on the Chesapeake named Urban Renewal and now I have one on land. Take care and thanks for all of the great tips/feedback posted on this forum.

Kurby

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Welcome.

I can't begin to say how cool that is. Thanks for doing your research, be safe and responsible. Remember that you have decided to dice it out "naked" with the cages that surround you.

You made a good choice but on the other hand, pls be safe. That traffic around you can be horrendous. I know, I did a commute from Fairfax to Tysons corner in VA and from Roebling to Morris Town in NJ.

Like the color Kurby.

Cool beans ace.

Be safe.
me.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Kurby,

I knew when I welcomed you, that you would be joining in the fun, I don't know why I knew it, I just did.

You MUST begin a facial aerobics regimen as soon as possible, in addition to signing up for & taking the MSF course asap.

The MSF will equip you for survival in the rush hour madness of the commute you described. The facial aerobics will cut down on the pain you experience from the terminal grin on your face once you start riding your 650.

Just remember, you were warned!

Welcome to the family!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome

Kurby
Welcome. I have an 03 650 which I bought for pleasure. Then I began to take it to work. I commute 35 miles and love it. While I am retired and work only two days a week I have found the savings and the fun are double great. My job often takes me to other places in my part of the state and the bike goes with me. Over 8500 miles in the year. With the price of gas - it will be used more and more. Like you, I started slow. The MSF course is a must. As to driving "naked" with all the cages I try to remember three things: 1. I am totally invisible, 2. I have no right-of-way and 3. I always have an escape route in my mind if someone pulls in front of me (or I see in my mirror someone coming on too fast). I am especially careful when I see someone talking on a cell-phone.
Look forward to hearing about your travels.
Canon :roll:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Kurby, welcom and congratulations. Your post indicates great intelligence. First by buying the Burgman and second by signing up for the MSF course and your approach to riding. The bike isn't the only one that needs a slow and easy break-in period.

I can't help feeling a little sorry for the sailboat. You're going to be spending so much time on the Burgie that the boat is going to get neglected.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Greetings Kurby and welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new ride. Good luck with your course and ride safe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kurby takes the plunge!!!

All,

Many thanks for the warm welcomes. The more I read the forum, I see people committed to safety, helping new members, and open discussions, and it reaffirms that my decision to go with a Burgie and be part of this association to be a wise one.

As you get to know me through my postings you will find out that I usually have a plan, and I am approaching safety and the learning process exactly that way. I have signed up for the MSF beginners course, and I am having the scoot delivered by the dealer (there is no way that I feel comfortable driving it home). I am also in the process of obtaining the necessary armor and hi-visibility helmet and outerwear. The forum postings on Safety tips have prompted me to order the 3M Reflective tape to increase the Burgie's nightime visibility.

While I am taking the beginners safety course, I have 3 developments within 2 miles of the house that provide secluded, off main road practice areas. After completion of the beginners course, I will take the followup course that deals with honing defensive riding skills. I will continue to practice through the winter and I plan on starting my Philly commute in the Spring. I am also exploring backup routes to take should I find the highway and Interstate routes too intimidating at first. I have options, and safety will be priority one so that I am around to enjoy the fun!

Thanks again and I look forward to future discussions :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Honeybrook to center city Philly -- yuck! Are you taking the Turnpike to the Schuykill (sure-kill) Expressway? I cringe just thinking about it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I take Route 30 to 202 North to the Surekill to US1 then into center city on Kelly Drive or West River Drive. When I am ready to start the commute, I am contemplating 202 South to US1 or 30 to 202 to 23 in Conshohocken to US1 and Kelly Drive. You are right, the Schuylkill is my greatest concern :roll: . Best would be to find a better job closer :D ....who knows, but in the meantime....

Kurby

1 - 10 of 10 Posts