Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
18,362 Posts
I think one of these may work for some. May need to up grade the wheel and tire.

ibex-129.jpg

·
Registered
408 Posts
I've been thinking about a trailer for a while myself. I've been doing MC camping for a few years on my Burgman and I'm constantly amazed at how much gear I can stow. I've been using a cheap 2-man tent and will probably upgrade my tent to an instant tent soon. But I can see the appeal and comfort of a trailer. And, I can see the time when getting in and out of a tent may be an issue. If you end up getting one, keep us posted on how it handles behind the Burgman.

Reactions: SilverArrow

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
At first I thought a ratchet strap, but then bungee cords would provide some "give". Gotta think of her comfort, ya know.
And a helmet...safety first...

Reactions: mikeyMarine

·
Premium Member
3,099 Posts
Would a Weber lid count.........make her captain of the Chuck Wagon.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Over on some other forums, I think it is advrider, they discuss stealth camping. Oh boy does that sound found. More on that shortly. But combining stealth camping and these little campers would be such great fun. Not sure I'd ever go home.

Stealth camping (I'm no expert) is camping in places for free, out of sight, but potentially right up under the nose of the general public. But also includes leaving no trace behind. For example, it could be setting up behind a power (somewhat large) substation at dusk, and loading up and leaving at the crack of dawn. Or just far enough inside a bit of woods to hide your bike and tent. Some just throw a hammock up between trees and sleep in that. But I wouldn't be able to sleep in a banana shape on my back all night. I've heard stories of a rider or two camping out, hidden behind a baseball field's tower. Like a little league field. But of course, mature camping. Not doing anything destructive. If one could find a place and sneak and set up one of these little campers hidden somewhere, that would be so fun, sneaking around like that. But it would be fun to be in a campground too. Stealth camping is done from dual sport motorcycles. But with enough creativity and/or time, I would imagine a sneaky place could be found on a Burgman towing one of those little gems.
I bought a Mock 1 free standing hammock but
it was too small and unconfortable to sleep in (stock pic below). I'm not a fan of sleeping on the ground either.
download.jpeg.jpg

On my trip to Glacier from Cali there were many miles of barron slab with nothing around where I fortunately didn't get rained on, but it did sprinkle on the way back on 93S. I could see it being much tougher to strealth camp pullling a camper. I recently got the deluxe Cabellas tent cot. Worked out great, very high quality, but a little heavy to take out of the car. I'm still looking for one to take on the Burgman.

·
Premium Member
8,136 Posts
with stealth camping, put a sign on the tent door, Go away , I'm poopin. You wouldn't get bothered .

·
Registered
271 Posts
I prefer this sign, "I've got covid and no mask, but you're still welcome to come in and cook me supper."

SilverArrow - I'm agreeing with you, as comfortable as that hammock looks, I could only use it for relaxing. I could doze off. But I would keep snorting myself awake in that banana position I feel comfortable in that position, but just can't stay asleep. For truly restful sleep, I need to turn on my side. I woke up last night and realized I had slept on the same right side probably 6 hours, and barely moved. Turned left, felt so daggone good and went right back to sleep.

If I had one of those cute little campers, I wouldn't always stealth camp. I would probably do it very rarely, when a designated camping area wasn't convenient. If I tried to sleep out on the ground, I'd be concerned about getting murdered by a snake, bear ... or democrat. 😁 Hey you democrats, I love you guys. But I like poking fun at you too.

·
Registered
87 Posts
SilverArrow, If you want to take your hammock on the Burgman the Tensa4 will work.

The hammock packs smaller than a folding chair albeit much heavier ...might even fit under the seat but have't tried it. (The rain fly/ net/cover doesnt come with it which is essential if your in the mosquito nursery- high country right now)
7762b340eea79560617c76fbc54bee3f_original.gif

7milesout - I was excited when I bought it from Wal-Mart until I tried sleeping on it inside... too small & couldn't turn on my side. I haven't tried out the traditional hammock yet... maybe a flatter surface. So far I prefer the cot.

Saying you have COVID might get you kicked out of the park/ forest out here in Cali 😅. Mikey- Good idea.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have long toyed with the idea of a small camper for the Burgman. I used to pull a trailer with a Yamaha Venture many years ago. I probably pulled it a few thousand miles total but enough to know you do have to alter your riding a bit. Stopping was never an issue and I rode carefully. Based in what I experienced with the Yamaha, I think the 650 Burgman would do fine as long as you kept the weight within reason. I don't think there would be long term ramifications to the CVT but even if it didn't shorten the life somewhat, it will still last a long time I suspect. I had about given up on the idea of getting a camper. Maybe it is time to relook at that idea.
I’ve pull trailers from a CB 750 right on up to a gold wing. One of the bikes or two of the bikes rather in the middle was the Yamaha venture and Yamaha Road star. Now I’m looking at buying a Suzuki Bergman. But I would really like to 650. If I can find one. I would definitely tow a trailer but maybe a single axle just to be able to put all my camping gear in. The rule of thumb is the trailer should only be Half the weight of the motorcycle or scooter.

·
Registered
271 Posts
SilverArrow - Is there a cot made with a similar anti-mosquito / anti-rain covering? That would be very sleepable. I'm a mosquito magnet so I would want that net over me.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts