Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the 2003 Burgman 650 make a slight knocking noise at Idle only on Yours?

I just got mine from my dad cause he is loosing his balance (dropped it)and i needed a cheap gas machine to go back and forth from work and it only has 900 easy driven miles on it, but it makes a slight knocking noise ever since he got it when it is at Idle and goes away when giving a little gas.(sounds like it is coming from around the gearbox)

I was just wondering if it was a normal noise since it has a unquie tranny style.

THanks
Lennie

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
yup.
if you are used to "engine noises" it ain't no thang but a thang.
pedz

cluck cluck cluck cluck....... 8)
choof choof choof choof......... :lol:
fut fut fut fut.
VaaaaaaaaaaaWoooooooooooooommmmmmmm!
:twisted:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
What you are hearing is the famous "diesel noise at idle". It has apparently been eliminated on the 2005 models. The noise is from end play in a drivetrain gear when the clutch is disengaged. There is no concern for failure, according to Suzuki.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
KartingBuzz said:
Does the 2003 Burgman 650 make a slight knocking noise at Idle only on Yours?
My 2004 650 does NOT make any sort of knocking noise at any time. It may be a characteristic of the 2003s, and something they fixed for 2004 and later. You might ask your dealer if there are any service notes about the noise you hear and see if there is a fix.

Dave B.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
KartingBuzz said:
Does the 2003 Burgman 650 make a slight knocking noise at Idle...I was just wondering if it was a normal noise since it has a unquie tranny style.
It's the famed "650 Rattle" AKA "The Dieseling Noise." All pre-'05s do it; and I haven't ridden an '05 yet so can't confirm reports that they don't.

If our 650s were as loud as most bikes, we wouldn't even hear it.

4DThinker said:
My 2004 650 does NOT make any sort of knocking noise at any time. It may be a characteristic of the 2003s, and something they fixed for 2004 and later. You might ask your dealer if there are any service notes about the noise you hear and see if there is a fix.
There was a fix on early '03s, which were worse than others, but those who have had it done have said it only was a marginal improvement, and didn't last.

(BTW 4D, when was the last time you had a hearing check? :wink: )

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Brian said:
(BTW 4D, when was the last time you had a hearing check? :wink: )
That's a good point, Brian. I "should" have some hearing loss by now considering my job. But most people accuse me of hearing too well. I'm usually the first one who detects a machine going bad by hearing a change in the way it sounds.

I've had the bike idling on the center stand and gotten down to listen. No unusual sounds.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Welp - my K4 makes K4 noises....however you decide to try and replicate them with in type. I don't think it sounds like a diesel because I know what a diesel sounds like, but it does make sort of a funky puckety-puckety, chuff-chuff-chuff, futt-futt sort of "noise" .... I prefer the word "sound," when she's just sitting there idling.

It is a unique sound at idle. When my 74 year old Father heard it he said "whats that noise?" I told him it was normal. And that was with only a few hundred miles on it since 0 miles.

Your Dad's 03 might need that K3 "fix"....dunno, but I agree with Pauljo.

It's sound doesn't bother me in the least. The other Suzukis I've had sounded a bit off bubble too (imho) - so - I say don't worry. Be happy! You now have a big-as_ burger at your disposal!

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
Mine has it also, and has had it since it had about 500 miles on it. It never really got any worse. I just try and not let it idle too long if it starts to bug me. I believe in easy riding untill it warms up, as opposed to idling.

·
Registered
496 Posts
You got lucky Lennie getting that scoot from your Dad. I hope you enjoy the B as much as we all do. Ride safe even though she is only a "scoot" the B is so quiet that before you know it you will be way over the speed limit.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
flybike said:
I have about 40 miles on an 05 650 and have the engine noise. I did not notice when I first left the dealership.
I guess that answers the question, does the 05 have "the noise".

Thanks

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the Replays, i just wanted to make sure it was normal.

I have helmet camera equipment i was planning on doing some Vids with the Burgman sometime this summer.

Pete or anyone that needs to store videos online, let me know, i have over 100,000gigs of data transfers on my server and plenty of space.

:)

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
A mighty friendly offer Lennie! However, sigh, I haven't many videos to store (though I do have a bunch of "funnies" sitting on my hard drive.)

Cool Web Site! I like the helmet cam vids!

If I find something worth storing I'll ping you and see if its OK. Do you know that Yahoo now has a web video search too? I've found tons of cool vids that way.

Thanks!
Pete

·
Registered
761 Posts
My brand spankin new 2005 650 does the same thing. It has this rattle that makes me think the timing is off. It is a little annoying, but since I know that it is normal I don't have to worry about it. But, I thought it was supposed to have been fixed too.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
4DThinker said:
I did notice a repeating knock today after I'd shut down the scooter. It was the exhaust metal pinging as it cooled down. Quit after a minute or so. I hope that's the sound you were hearing. If it was AFTER the bike was stopped then it's a very normal thing.
No, I think he's refering to the gear noise that ALL 650s make at idle. It's more pronounced on some than others, but since there's a train of gears between the transmission and the rear wheel, and since there is -- as there should be, to reduce friction -- some tolerance in the meshing of the gears, then when the load is reduced as the clutch disengages there will be a little "backlash" in the gear train that makes this characteristic 650 song.

Many people refer to it as a "diesel sound," not because it sounds like a gasoline engine dieseling, but because it sounds very much like an old mechanically injected diesel engine (it reminds me of a diesel Mercedes that my best friend's parents had back in '73). Others have said it sounds like a sewing machine. Either way, it's just a quiet sort of rattling sound that is a bit different than the sound the 650s make when under any kind of load, or any other bike that I know of makes at all.

Yes, it's normal. Any 650 that doesn't do it is probably idling to fast, and the clutch isn't completely disengaged. (Do a "creep test" to find out. It's outlined in the service manual.)

·
Registered
761 Posts
RIght Brian,

I was referring to when the engine is running at idle. Don't recall reading anything about "creep test" in the manual. If I had, I probably would not have been allowed to purchase the bike. hyuk, hyuk, hyuk.

I put the bike on the center stand and started it up. The rear tire did not turn. On the ground while idling, the bike sits still.

Anyway, just learning all its little quirks as I get used to the it.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
captainfish said:
...Don't recall reading anything about "creep test" in the manual. If I had, I probably would not have been allowed to purchase the bike. hyuk, hyuk, hyuk....
Funny! Now I have to take a moment to clean all the Diet Pepsi off my keyboard. :lol:

captainfish said:
...I put the bike on the center stand and started it up. The rear tire did not turn. On the ground while idling, the bike sits still. ...
That's good. It sounds like your idle speed and clutch are adjusted right.

BTW, what I called the "creep test" isn't in the Owner's Manual, it's in the Service Manual.
Suzuki calls it an "Initial Engagement Inspection" (No nuptial cracks, please. :wink: ), and it's described on page 2-32 of the '03/'04 650 Service Manual. The bike shouldn't start to roll until the engine reaches 1500 - 2100RPM. Also, idle speed on a warm engine should be 1200RPM +/- 100RPM.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts