Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i plan on keeping my burgman for around town because of the storage but would like to eventualy get something more comfortable for highway and rough roads.i live in south louisiana were cracked,potholed,flooded,gravel,dirt and uneven 2 lanes make the burgman a ruff ride.i dont want to always take the super slab(my burgman is great at),sometimes the scenic route would be nice or being able to ride on a street with a couple inches of water.so would the klr be more comfortable?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
KLR is a time-proved tool, you can't go far wrong with it for rough roads if that's what you wanted to hear.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
the KLR will not be more comfortable than the burgman under any circumstances

But I tell you the Burgman can do off road, see my last ride:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Unless you plan on doing a lot of serious offroading ditch the KLR and get yourself a V-Strom 650. Comfort is night and day better on the Vee and it will do very well on rough roads or smooth highways.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
You can hardly beat Burgman comfort in the displacement class, but there are better rough-terrain target machines. Horses for courses.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the v cost more.fernado,what number on the suspenion,how do you stop scraping the center stand,are those street tires and how do you control wheel spin in the mud?

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
My buddy has a KLR and I find it rather comfortable and stable on the highway. Of course I hate riding the "Sleeper Slabs" so my 400 suits me fine. I now also have a DR650 for the off road adventures and the rough stuff but it is not so comfy on highways and touring! :cool:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Big dual sports have a number of advantages; long suspension travel to soak up bumps, ride height that lets you see over cars, and being dropped causes little or no damage. The biggest downside is the lack of weather protection. I don't advocate actually taking one off-road because they weigh a whole lot more than a small dirt bike and are a pain to pick up when you fall over. And you will fall over when you're riding off-road.

If you're looking for something with a lot of suspension travel that can go freeway speeds, I'd suggest one of the bigger dual-sports (which actually aren't); Wee-strom, V-strom 1000, R1200RT, KTM 1190, Super Tenere, etc. All of those are actually very tall road bikes, with lots of (potential) luggage space, decent wind protection, and enough motor to cruise at extra-legal speeds on the slab.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I own a V-Strom 650 and have ridden my brother-in-law's KLR. For general riding including touring I would take my V-Strom every time. Now if I was looking to go off-road, I would be looking for a dirt bike with lights (so I could add plates to ride on public paved roads).

There is no one bike that will do every type of riding well. For the roads the OP is talking about, my V-Strom would probably be the bike I would choose. I like my Burgman 650 for other things such as the step-through and the ability to pull both my wife and I riding down interstates without difficulty (the V-Strom will also do this but my wife hates riding two-up on it due to it's height). The Burgman is also good on back roads until they get rough. The bike can still do the roads when the pavement has pot holes and such, I just have to ride slower and the comfort goes down. If I was to have only one bike at this point in my life, it would be my Burgman due to my wife liking to ride two up with me on it.

Doug from Kentucky

1 - 11 of 11 Posts