Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased one from a member of this group and finally got around to installing it on my 400. I tend to forget to cancel the signals so I wanted some fool proof help.

It works just as advertised: totally automatic canceling, with the added feature of having the signal lights act as running lights. I set my for 10 flashes which is perfect for my use. If you put the brakes on, like sitting at a light waiting for a turn, it suspends the cancellation and the signals continue flashing as long as the brakes are on. And just as you do now, if you want to cancel before they automatically stop, just punch the button in.

Installation was not difficult, but it did require locating and attaching 6 wires from the signal box to six different wires in the harness. On the 400 they are out front, requiring the removal of the black plate beneath the windshield and the plastic section with the headlight attached to it. Just a bunch of screws and pop-outs...not especially hard to do. Once these two parts are off the wire harness is adequately exposed. The kit came with some snap-on gadgets for splicing the wires but I found them inadequate and chose to solder instead. The only glitch was the ground wire I chose on the harness was not adequate, but upon searching around I found a larger heavier ground and after attaching to that everything worked well.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Major Glitch with Signal Minder: After riding for a few days I noticed that
if I hit the turn signal and then next turned the opposite direction the signal did not work. They have to be canceled first! Kisan sent me a set of small springs to go in the switch unit on the handlebar, but when installed the signals don't work at all. In short, I find the Signal Minder pretty useless. Next time I have an occasion to tear into the front end I'll take it out.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Sounds to me it's pretty much just a waste of money. Think I'll save mine for something else.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I was going to ask if anyone had used them. I'd heard that the old ones had to be canceled before the running lights would work (huh?), but I didn't realize you had to cancel them just to use the signals again - and it doesn't sound like it's just the "old ones"...

My other option was to add some LED pods as driving lights (I like LED's because they draw so little electricity), and also mount a $25 signal beeper. The beepers are more annoying, but I won't be leaving my signals on... :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
I recommend the "Bleeder Signal Minder" - leave your thumb on the switch from activation thru deactivation. Only $9.95.

Peace.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Turn Signal minder

We are offering an additional item on our Beeper. A simple, small small switch, so you can turn of the beeper if sitting still. The lights still work, it just won't beep. The only problem is you gotta "remember" to turn it back on.
Jac Vinson
MotorMate mfg
http://www.rvtoys.net
scoot accessories.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Good golly!! How long are those stoplights sequenced? We've got some five min and 20 second signals but those in your area must be real long.
btw mine came from radio shack--$3 and change for each side and took about 30 mins to install.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let me make some corrections to my previous comments about the Kisan Signal Minder:

I should have said they have to be manually canceled before making another turn in the SAME direction. You can go from right to left or vice versa without manually canceling...but who is gonna keep track! Nevertheless, I have kept them on, with the setting for 30 blinks, just in case I do forget. And I have wired up the running lights that activate the turn signals. These show us really well at night.

I would think that there is some way to "fix" the turn indicator so that it doesn't have to be centered each time so that the electronic box will work as intended. I just haven't taken the time to study the schematic, or have someone who knows electronics look at it. One of those "round tuit" things, you know.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought the Kisan Signal Minder and it worked as described for about 4 weeks... now my signal lights don't work at all.

I'm not ready to blame Kisan yet but the failure is either in the handlebar switch or the Kisan unit so we'll see what happens when I take it into the shop tomorrow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts