Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. guys I am not as experienced as you so please enlighten me. If I were to get these polar mitts where I can't see the switches. And if I were doing say 70+ mph and accidently hit the kill switch, would the Burgie 400 keep moving or would it come to a dead stand still with me flying off with the angels? :lol:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Your scooter would keep going just as if you had taken your hand off the throttle, nothing very dramatic at all - switch it back on and your on your way as if nothing has happened. :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You mean even if I were moving I could switch it back without the lady bucking?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
You can turn the switch back on but I believe you would have to pull over to restart the beast. AS you know it requires you to apply a brake lever in order to start it. With the CVT belts we loose the ability to bump start our machines. I already tested this theory on a downhill section near my place.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
In a word Yes ! :lol:
If you are worried about it, try it out at a slower speed
-I would not make a habit out of doing it, but it's not a problem.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
allwalk wrote
You can turn the switch back on but I believe you would have to pull over to restart the beast. AS you know it requires you to apply a brake lever in order to start it.
My 400 will restart it self with out the brake -so far it has never happened to me below 40 so I can't say about slower speeds -
One tends to find out theses little things using a "O" washer as a throttle lock :(

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, thank-you All Walk I forgot about appyling the brake :? in order to start. I am still thinking clutch. I sure hope I don't get thrown applying the brake for the clutch.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
The engine should restart without touching the brake if you accidentally hit the kill switch while riding.Just "flip" it back onl

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Randy said:
The engine should restart without touching the brake if you accidentally hit the kill switch while riding.Just "flip" it back onl
When I get off work tonight I'll test this out on the 650 (There shouldn't be any traffic to worry about at 01:30).

If I survive, I'll report back tomorrow night.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Okay, early report.

1) I survived.

2) It was a non-event. At 60MPH, 40MPH, and 20MPH I hit the kill switch, left it off until my speed had decreased by 5MPH, then switched it back on. Twisted the throttle and away I went. No bucking, no backfiring, nothing.

I don't know how it would be on a 400, but on the 650 the same forces that give us the strong engine-braking also seem to give us a smooth compression-start.

If I had slowed down enough for the CVT to disengage, at around 9MPH or so, it would have been another matter. Then I would have had to apply enough brake to disengage the starter lock-out, and then hit the starter switch to get the engine going again.

And once the CVT had disengaged, no matter how fast I was going, even accelerating down a hill, a compression-start wouldn't have happend because the engine wouldn't be turning, just the wheels.

So, my advice: don't hit the kill switch unless you really want to kill it. But if it should happen, don't panic.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brian,

Thank-you for your brave experiment. Hopefully I will never hit the kill switch but if I do I will not worry about restarting thanks to everyone. :)

Safe riding to you all.

Evelyn

1 - 11 of 11 Posts