Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Members,
I just had to replace a faulty starter switch entire assembly.
I have always used the kill switch to stop engine and then pushed the kill switch to run position to start.
Other riders say only use the ignition as an on/ off switch.....
Any thoughts either way?
San Diego Frank

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
On my B650 I always deploy my side stand which kills the engine and then my ignition switch to off or off/fork lock depending where I’m stopping.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello Members,
I just had to replace a faulty starter switch entire assembly.
I have always used the kill switch to stop engine and then pushed the kill switch to run position to start.
Other riders say only use the ignition as an on/ off switch.....
Any thoughts either way?
San Diego Frank
Personally I have always used the kill switch on the right handlebar as an emergency switch, for rider or in case of emergency. worker in accident would shut off to kill it. I really have no use of that switch in daily usage. My burgman turns off the engine when the kick stand is deployed

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
On my B650 I always deploy my side stand which kills the engine and then my ignition switch to off or off/fork lock depending where I’m stopping.
Same here. It's an automatic self-test of the sidestand interlock switch, too (not that it really matters).

In my case, always fork-lock. And always past fork-lock to parking-lights then back one click to fork-lock, just to make sure it's NOT in the parking-lights position when I take the keys out.

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
I'm not sure why a kill switch exists unless it is required by law or something, and because of placement being the same on so many models I suspect that is the case, it's for somebody who doesn't know how to shut off the bike. The burg has a tip over switch, so it is supposed to shut off if it falls, but sposed to and do is different thangs. Personally the kill switch is a device I accidentally activate on waay too many occasions causing me to get extra cardio exercise when trying to start the bike.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I'm not sure why a kill switch exists unless it is required by law or something, and because of placement being the same on so many models I suspect that is the case, it's for somebody who doesn't know how to shut off the bike. The burg has a tip over switch, so it is supposed to shut off if it falls, but sposed to and do is different thangs. Personally the kill switch is a device I accidentally activate on waay too many occasions causing me to get extra cardio exercise when trying to start the bike.
Yes, it's required. It goes back to when throttle linkages would fail with the throttle stuck open, or the choke malfunction, or that sort of thing.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I use the kill switch all the time. My reasoning is I have on a few occasions when backing my bike up to park it have accidentally throttled the bike and shot forward a little bit. Nothing bad enough to cause an accident. But enough to freak me out a couple of times, so for that reason I use the kill switch every time I shut my bike off. Also keep in mind I'm 5'3 with short legs so I really have to push it back and that's why I sometimes throttle it unintentionally when backing it up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts