Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone disabled their Burger Kickstand switch yet. I'm about to do it. It is a real pain to pull up in the driveway, shut the bike off by lowering the stand, open the garage, and then restart the scoot to get it in the garage. It also makes it hard to warm up a few moments before taking off. I think having all of those saftey switches along with the parking brake is a little over the top but probably required by OSHA or NHTSA, or one of the other NAZI organizations out there.

Dave

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Is it really worth all that trouble to deactivate the switch just to avoid pushing a start button . :?:
I hope the first time you pull out with the side stand down you don't get hurt to bad. :oops:

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'm finally getting off my posterior to complete the first BurgyModule that
is called BurgyBrake.
The module monitors the Sidestand switch plus the Brake handle.
The brake handle has a second switch installed that detects the handle
being pulled far back (which locks the rear wheel).

When the handle gets pulled far back, the module will defeat the relay
that normally shuts off the engine if the kickstand is not stowed.
If the handle is not pulled far back and the kickstand is anywhere but up,
the engine stops as it is normally intended to.

·
Registered
409 Posts
At times some of the posts simply amaze me. Here is a post about disabling the side stand switch. correct me, but didn't we go into extensive detail about this on the 650 section. People. Read before posting.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Had a bad day Eddie? :wink:

·
Registered
409 Posts
norman:

In fact I've had a great day. This site is the best because of the quality of the people. I don't ever want to see it become another site of trite posters.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Yes Eddie it is a good site with fine people and all with the aim of sharing a common interest. 8)

People are impulsive too and make mistakes. Sometimes they post without carrying out a search but hey - this is a friendly group, not some academic exercise in flagellation.

So try and be be patient with people and please try to be more diplomatic and understanding. :shock: If you had a good day you have a deal less excuse for firing off. :oops: Sometimes even the best intentioned post can be misunderstood because the communication is single channel and the more subtle nuances of more sophisticated communication are missing. :!:

I had a good day too! :wink:

PS: Your assumption that all forum members read the 650 section has a flaw. :wink:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Hey folks,

There is a certain amount of repetition throughout the site on various issues. It's kind of unavoidable, because the same topic will come up in another thread sometimes - but often there is a little different twist in the "Re-stated" information too. Search functions don't always return exactly what you want to find - searching is a bit of an art. And people are people - they'll often hope for a quick direct response rather than going through the effort of searching.

As a moderator, I try to avoid over-moderating. I belonged to another scooter forum early this year. The first thing they do is send you about 3 long emails with all the "rules". And they resend those emails to everybody periodically. There isn't much posting volume on that forum - I think people are intimidated by the strict enforcement of these rules - so I wasn't getting much benefit from monitoring it. Then I submitted a post, but I forgot to include my location (City / State) at the end of the post - one of the "rules". The forum moderator DELETED my post and emailed it back to me, loftily requesting that I "resubmit my valuable input in the proper format". I immediately terminated my membership in that forum. That offended me - I've been out of kindergarten for a long long time.

I don't want to be like that. I'd rather have a nice active forum with a free flow of information - and if there is some duplication, and the occasional silly post - no big deal. I only ask that people avoid rudeness to each other - and we've done well with that. I think Allwalk and Greengoose see things pretty much the same way.

If you have other thoughts on this, feel free to PM me.

Thanks,

·
Registered
409 Posts
Paul, you are the diplomat. Okay, I'll calm down. I enjoy this site immensely. I've gotten tired of the yahoo sites. Norman, I never assume that all posters read all sections before posting. Paul is right that there will be duplicates. If there was an old post I can see how one would miss it but the side stand switch post is current and active.

Done with my mini rant.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Cuda, I'm with you on the kick stand switch. Hated them on previous scoots and my 400 as well. If you ride off, it will kick itself up. In 40 years of bike riding, have never had a kickstand to throw me yet.

Heres what I've done on mine: put in on the center stand, kickstand down, and you'll see the little plunger thingie that, when pushed in, allows the engine to start. Drill a small (tiny) hole in that plunger head...its about the size of a nail head... run some small wire thru the hole, loop it up and over the bolt head up underneath, and tie the plunger up tight. That way, its simple to enable it again when you go to sell the scoot.

You'll need a good quality drill bit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
re kickstand

Thank's for the info Ted. Hey guys, I didn't mean to start anything. I have enjoyed reading your thread and just haven't read all of the posts. I will try to ask fewer questions in the future and post more pertinant info on my paticular machine.

Dave

PS: I tried to ride my Wing to work this morning and the battery was dead. Tell's you how much it's been used since the burgy entered my garage. My wife is now taking the burger out every night and driving around the neighborhood. She will start commuting to work soon, maybe in a week. She looks awesone on it, but she would look awesome on anything. It is getting harder to get her permission to drive the burger to work. Had to take my SV this morning.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Re: re kickstand

cuda said:
PS: I tried to ride my Wing to work this morning and the battery was dead. Tell's you how much it's been used since the burgy entered my garage.
Fortunately, I keep my V-Strom plugged in to a Battery Tender Jr in the garage. Otherwise, the same thing could happen to me! I do enjoy riding it every now & then, but sometimes a couple of weeks pass by in between V-Strom rides...

·
Registered
209 Posts
pauljo said:
There is a certain amount of repetition throughout the site on various issues. It's kind of unavoidable, because the same topic will come up in another thread sometimes - but often there is a little different twist in the "Re-stated" information too. Search functions don't always return exactly what you want to find - searching is a bit of an art.
I'll have to concur with that. I tend to search previous messages before I post something, but sometimes I don't get anything. i.e. I posted something on the Iron Butt Rally, and was politely referred to a previous post on the subject. However before posting, I did a search on "Iron Butt" and came up with nothing. However had I typed in "IronButt" as the search I would have found it. (Maybe vice versa, I don't remember) but it's not feasible to read all 10,000+ messages here, so repetition is the name of the game. ('specially if you've been here from the beginning) I found this site through the Yahoo group, which I don't frequent anymore, as they tend to get upset over the silliest things.

Anyway, back to the kickstand switch... Whilst riding around in the rain today, I was thinking I could make a timer that would start when you push a button on the handlebar that would keep the engine running while on the kickstand. When the timer ran out, it would turn the engine off if still on the kickstand. This wouldn't totally defeat the kickstand interlock, but would allow me to take it out of my garage, take it through the gate, get off and give me time to shut the gate without it turning off the engine. (This routine is getting old in my book...) Just another thought!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
captainfish said:
ok, off the main topic, but why would the burger's battery die if not rode on every day?
You shouldn't need to ride every day, but at least a few hours a month.
The clock draws a small amount of current, and lead-acid batteries naturally trickle down over time as well (faster than, say, a lithium cell, which is designed for long term storage).

Suzuki recommends removing the battery if you store the bike over the winter, for instance, but I think a trickle charger is a better, easier, solution. Keep things ready for a quick getaway.

P.S. Just re-read the original posts, and saw where the confusion might have occurred: The Burgman wasn't going dead in a day; the Gold Wing was going dead from lack of use. The Burgman is getting all the use instead. That's a real testament to what a great bike it is, I'd say!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
cuda said:
...I think having all of those saftey switches along with the parking brake is a little over the top but probably required by OSHA or NHTSA, or one of the other NAZI organizations out there.
Actually you can blame a litigious society populated by self-indulgent nitwits who sue at the drop of a hat rather than taking responsibility for their own actions, and who are supported by trial lawyers who earn a living based on a percentage of the outrageous awards they win and which results in higher insurance premiums for the responsible majority who pay attention to what we are doing most of the time.

If you think OSHA, NHTSA, et al are even remotely comparable to Nazis, might I suggest that you move to China, Iran, Singapore, etc. for a few years.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts