Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I said it could NEVER happen to me!

I have two spares. One in a small safety pocket in my riding jacket and another in a similar pocket in my riding pants.
I stuffed my jacket under the seat and closed the lid and as I walked away, I felt in my pocket for my keys and they were not there! Pants in the top case, jacket under the seat, main keys dropped in my jacket pocket. All my keys are locked in the scooter, Just duckey!
In the middle of no where too. I take stock of what I have. Multi-tool, Phillips #2 screw driver and two flat blade screwdrivers (#0 & #2) scooter locked, handle bars locked, shutter closed.
I had my keys in about 10 minutes. Removed the 8 cowling screws, removed the bottom of the handlebar cover and removed top cowl. Used the #0 flat blade to push the cable up which unlocked the seat. Had it all back together 5 minutes later. I later realized, if you know what you are doing, this could be done by just reaching up underneath above the front fender and popping the cable latch by feel.

Hmmmm... Not as secure as I once thought.

·
Registered
153 Posts
That's good to know, I will have to give that a test to see if it works. I have often thought what would I do if I locked the keys in the trunk, I have the spare key at home but probably not be at home if I ever locked the trunk with my key in there.

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
A number of us have installed an "Emergency Release Cable'
for just that kind of situation...or...in case the factory seat release
cable breaks....it has happened.
Most of us have used an 18 inch stranded stainless steel fishing
leader...45 or 50 or 60 pound rating...connected to the release
lever at the latch, with the loose end routed down to the left
edge of the fender...on a 400, by the shock absorber adjusting
knob....on a 650, somewhere below the fuel filler door.
On the loose end on mine, I installed a split keyring...like
you put your keys on, except with no keys. This cable can even
be used to open the seat when the engine is running.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Duster said:
A number of us have installed an "Emergency Release Cable'
for just that kind of situation...or...in case the factory seat release
cable breaks....it has happened.
I have read the posts about this and did not want to have an easy access to my storage. Now, when I see how easy it is to get in, I will stop putting anything in there I cannot afford to lose.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The pre-07's are easier to get in, just pop the rear panel behind the seat and activate the latch with a screw driver. 3 minutes and you are in :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
On my ADV rides, I carry the spare on a lanyard around my neck. Stays there until I get home.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The last thing I do before I walk away from my bike, and did the same with the 650 when I had it,is take the key out of the ignition. Everything is stowed,and no chance of an "oopsie".

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Yogurt49 said:
The last thing I do before I walk away from my bike, and did the same with the 650 when I had it,is take the key out of the ignition. Everything is stowed,and no chance of an "oopsie".
I do the same thing.

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
12string said:
The pre-07's are easier to get in, just pop the rear panel behind the seat and activate the latch with a screw driver. 3 minutes and you are in :)
...unless you have the Suzuki Accessories Luggage Rack...!!!

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
I keep both of my original keys on some chain I bought at home depot and at other end of chain, I have one of those "carabiners" which I clip to my belt loop. Its pretty much impossible for me to lose/misplace them that way. Of course, Mikeymarine is gonna say that if I take off my pants and put them in my trunk because I had an "accident" - haha!, then I would be out of luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts