Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please help! I have a 2004 Burgman 650.

I locked my key in the seat trunk and the spare key is 100 miles away. Is there a way to pop the trunk without damage, or will the missus have to get in the car with the spare?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I really appreciate that image Liam, but it seems as if whoever wrote those words has only a passing familiarity with the English language. :confused:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I really appreciate that image Liam, but it seems as if whoever wrote those words has only a passing familiarity with the English language. :confused:
This is suzuki's maintenance manual, or so it was advertised.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
years ago, I asked a neighbor's kid to help me out, I basically lifted the seat up while he was sneaking his hand in the trunk looking for the key, after 5 minutes he got it. It wasn't a burgman but its almost the same trunk, you should try that before start dissembling.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all. Leatherman to the rescue (screwdriver & pliers). No emergency call-out for the wife :)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
But have you implemented the standard modification to avoid this angst in the future?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Long Phillips screwdriver + 5 minutes!!

Hi, I just did the same thing. Locked my keys like a dummy, inside the seat/trunk of my Burgman 150.
Here's how I got it opened:
1. Go to the back of the bike, unscrew the panel that's just above the license plate (sorry, I don't know any of the technical names, I'm a girl!). Take it off.
2. Peek inside to where the location of the lock of the seat should be. You'll see the locking mechanism and the wire that trips it. Follow the wire right to where it's no longer covered in plastic, and just to the right of it, there's a little red thingy on the wire. It's where it slides over to open the locking mechanism.
3. Butt your screwdriver just to the right of that, and push it towards the left.
IT OPENS RIGHT UP WITH VERY LITTLE PRESSURE!
You're welcome.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Boy did this little trunk opening trick work today!

A couple buddies and I went out to breakfast, about 80 miles away. After we ate, my Burgman 650 riding friend figured out he had locked his keys in the trunk. He was already dreading the phone call to his wife to bring him the spare, when I suggested this fix. But I had never actually done it.

We popped the maintenance bay panel and the lock cable housing was easy to find; it's on top. Gave it a little tug and the trunk popped right open. Disaster avoided.

Thanks again BUSA members. You saved the day once more.

For anyone who has a 650, you should read this whole thread for just such emergencies.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Personally carry with me a spare which is a $4.00 Ilco cut exactly the same as the Suzuki OEM key, it will do everything except close or open the lock shutter, so never nervous or upset if accidently lock keys under seat.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Anyone have a good idea as to where to hide a spare key?

·
Registered
28 Posts
2016 650 Exec

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
The handle bar plastic comes off easy enough. How about duck taping a spare key in the inside of the plastic or to the metal handle bar itself. Just an idea.

Reactions: SteveG

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Same idea, but use wire to secure it to the fork clamps and zip ties to keep it from rattling around (the zip ties may deteriorate over time, but the wire will still hold it in place).

·
Registered
366 Posts
If you want to hide a key. Tape it to back of license plate it is covered and easy to get to if the need arrises. Don't use a hide a key its to thick and may fall of, best is clean area with alcohol let it dry and use a piece of DUCK tape to attach to back of license plate.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts