Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An icon of a key on the dash of my K7 flashes red (continuously). Can anyone tell me what it's for? I can't find any reference in the Owner's Manual. Is it merely a dummy decoy to deter would-be thiefs?...or should I be concerned?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi shavian,
It is the "chipped" key ignition immobilizer system. I do not have that system on my US version 650 but, if it is like the system on my Ford truck (so equipped)...the light blinks as you surmised, to deter would-be thieves. I make the assumption that your scoot starts and runs fine and when parked, the key light blinks. If you were to have an all metal blank key properly cut to operate the ignition switch, in theory, it should not start the engine because the RF "chip" ID is not present. If you held the original chipped key in close proximity to the all metal key during start, in theory again, it should start.

Ed

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ed[/QUOTE] I make the assumption that your scoot starts and runs fine and when parked, the key light blinks.

Yep, the bike runs just fine; the key light blinks when parked. This seems a rather lame feature to me - unless there is more to it than is apparent. Any other suggestions, anyone? How is it that there is no explanation in the owner's manual; -perhaps Suzuki doesn't want would-be thieves to know the blinking light is just a hoax?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Likely an engine immobiliser. As advised the key contains a chip matched to the immobiliser, meaning a key cut the same will not allow the engine to be started. I have the same thing on Yamaha Dragstar 1100 Classic. XVS1100AC. Immobilisers in some countries are mandatory e.g. Australia. You should have a master key (usually has a red top, and then 2-3 slave keys which usually have a different colour top to the master key). Place the master key in a very safe place, as it should be used in the even that you need to have a new key cut and then matched, to program another slave key. Theoretically slave keys can't be used to have slave keys cut and matched, this is true for those without the right knowledge and equipment, but it is possible to use reverse engineering to circumvent this.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Sweeet
I just cam looking for that myself having picked up a K7 today

1 - 6 of 6 Posts