Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering how many of you buyers out there check the KBB values when purchasing a motorcycle/scooter. Retired from the automotive industry we used the KBB like the bible and did not vary much from it when it came to wholesale buying of a vehicle (trade-in) and usually selling was close to dealer retail. When I look for a scooter to buy (09-12 Burgman 650) usually the private seller are fairly close to the KBB price, but the dealers are way out of line and can be $1500 higher across the board. I understand dealers can offer the buying customer some things that the private seller can't, like a warranty, etc. I myself have a hard time paying over the KBB price, which I think at times is a little low, but if you don't respect there values then you are probably going to over pay. I myself after riding motorcycles have found that the Burgman's does not hold their resale value well, in fact I think they are low compared to other popular model bikes that I have owned. Just looking for how others view buying and selling their Burgman,s.

John

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I always check KBB.com and NADA.com but they frequently have a large difference in the prices. How could two sources be $1,000 different on a $5,000 bike? I think local preferences and availability make the "book" prices inaccurate. I found one of my Burgmans on Craigs List and the other here in Classifies and I compared them to the prices on both Craigs List and E-Bay (completed transactions to see what they actually sold for). I paid much less than the "book" value for both of my bikes but I had to drive to get them. I bought one in Tennessee (only about 80-90 miles away) and the other 500 miles away on Virginia's Eastern Shore. I live where when someone asks you what kind of bike you have, they mean what kind of Harley to you have. My Burgman and BMW don't have many relatives near where I live.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
osbornk, looks like you do your homework first and then buy. I to did fine the KBB and NADA to be a big difference in values of bikes. KBB value retail for a 2011 ABS Executive at $7200 and NADA at $8500, how could that be, I will ask an auto dealer why the big value differences between the two books and see what he says. I can tell you in the DFW market there are probably 12-15 650's for sale and none have sold in the last two months, I know because I'm actively looking for one. Even as good as these scooter are, their resale is just not there.

John

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
If any one thinks it's just the 650 Burgs that are having trouble selling they are sadly mistaking . Motorcycles , scooters and really all power sports are having difficulties in the resell market . As far as "book" value goes , I think you can throw the book out for the time being . So called "low ball" is the new retail . All that said bikes are selling , just at much lower prices . From what I see 650 Burgs with a lot of miles aren't selling at all , pristine low mileage ones are selling but only if discounted considerably from "book" . Sellers are crying the blues right now , but buyers are having a field day with the best prices I've ever seen .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
If any one thinks it's just the 650 Burgs that are having trouble selling they are sadly mistaking . Motorcycles , scooters and really all power sports are having difficulties in the resell market . As far as "book" value goes , I think you can throw the book out for the time being . So called "low ball" is the new retail . All that said bikes are selling , just at much lower prices . From what I see 650 Burgs with a lot of miles aren't selling at all , pristine low mileage ones are selling but only if discounted considerably from "book" . Sellers are crying the blues right now , but buyers are having a field day with the best prices I've ever seen .

TheReaper!
You are right. I sold my really sharp black 86 R80RT BMW this summer for less than it was worth and it took me a good while to sell it. I currently have my 03 R1200CLC for sale for much less than the "book" value and the interest has been modest. I will probably keep it until spring and hope things improve.

I bought a 400 to replace the old BMW and was going to keep the newer one since I considered the 400 to be a good "in addition to a motorcycle". When the 400 was totaled on July 1, I bought a 650. I found it to be a "instead of a motorcycle" bike and I wasn't riding the BMW. That is why it is for sale.

·
Registered
515 Posts
The market is like a fickle woman. One day she is happy and cooperative , the next she is a PITA .

Used motorcycle sales have always been this way, cars not so much so.

As for scooters/maxi scooters all I can say is , there is no answer or logic.

In the last couple of years I sold several motorcycles at reasonable prices by watching the markets and pricing them all competitively. They all sold within a month of first advertising.

Trying to sell a Burgman is like having a tooth extracted with no novicain .

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
True on the Burgman's from what I see on pricing. I'm coming from dual sport bikes which there prices have been somewhat stable over the past years. Bikes like the Kawasaki KLR 650's, BMW 650 GS's, Suzuki DRZ 400's, Suzuki 650 V-Strom, and the BMW R1200GS, which if purchased used hold their values fairly well. Now thinking I would like to try a 650 Burgman, I went down and looked at a new 2013 and gave some thought about a new one, but still thought I would check the used market on these scooter to see how their values hold up. Well finding the used market not so good on 650 Burgman's I have pretty much nixed the new 2013 model. The DFW area where I live has plenty to choose from on Craigslist, prices all over the place, mileage, and condition, but none of them selling. Now I've become a little hesitant on the purchase of one, or if I can't steal it I don't feel comfortable about the purchase. I'm going to go look at a 2011 with 1600 miles on it and owned by a older gentleman like myself, the 650 Executive is in perfect condition and he started out at $8500, within 5 days it dropped to $7950. KBB is $7100, I just can't pay that much over KBB and feel good about the deal. I will look at the scooter tomorrow, but not make an offer, but let him know that I'm interested. Feeling the seller out is part of the buying process, the seller has already told me that his reason for selling is because his wife thinks he is too old to ride anymore and she is worried about his safety. Will know some answers tomorrow.

John

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
True on the Burgman's from what I see on pricing. I'm coming from dual sport bikes which there prices have been somewhat stable over the past years. Bikes like the Kawasaki KLR 650's, BMW 650 GS's, Suzuki DRZ 400's, Suzuki 650 V-Strom, and the BMW R1200GS, which if purchased used hold their values fairly well. Now thinking I would like to try a 650 Burgman, I went down and looked at a new 2013 and gave some thought about a new one, but still thought I would check the used market on these scooter to see how their values hold up. Well finding the used market not so good on 650 Burgman's I have pretty much nixed the new 2013 model. The DFW area where I live has plenty to choose from on Craigslist, prices all over the place, mileage, and condition, but none of them selling. Now I've become a little hesitant on the purchase of one, or if I can't steal it I don't feel comfortable about the purchase. I'm going to go look at a 2011 with 1600 miles on it and owned by a older gentleman like myself, the 650 Executive is in perfect condition and he started out at $8500, within 5 days it dropped to $7950. KBB is $7100, I just can't pay that much over KBB and feel good about the deal. I will look at the scooter tomorrow, but not make an offer, but let him know that I'm interested. Feeling the seller out is part of the buying process, the seller has already told me that his reason for selling is because his wife thinks he is too old to ride anymore and she is worried about his safety. Will know some answers tomorrow.

John
HOLY CRAP...!!!!!! His wife thinks that he is "too old" to ride anymore.??

I guess that is why I am divorced...! I would have told her that she is "too old" to wear high heels and I am worried about her "safety"..............;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I always check KBB.com and NADA.com but they frequently have a large difference in the prices. How could two sources be $1,000 different on a $5,000 bike? I think local preferences and availability make the "book" prices inaccurate. I found one of my Burgmans on Craigs List and the other here in Classifies and I compared them to the prices on both Craigs List and E-Bay (completed transactions to see what they actually sold for). I paid much less than the "book" value for both of my bikes but I had to drive to get them. I bought one in Tennessee (only about 80-90 miles away) and the other 500 miles away on Virginia's Eastern Shore. I live where when someone asks you what kind of bike you have, they mean what kind of Harley to you have. My Burgman and BMW don't have many relatives near where I live.
Hi. I'm considering buying a used 05 Burgy 400S. It's listed at a dealer for $3500. Is that a fair price?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Hi. I'm considering buying a used 05 Burgy 400S. It's listed at a dealer for $3500. Is that a fair price?
$300 more than I paid for a nice 08 a year ago. Local availability of scooters and service has a lot to do with local value. They made major changes in the 400s in 07 and the few bugs were worked out by 08 (they changed the clutch and a few other things). That is why I looked for a 08 or newer as they are essentially the same other than color and ABS.

·
Registered
677 Posts
As osbornk noted, the 06 and earlier are a different design. I'd choose the 08+ as he did if possible, but a good price on an older bike is worth considering. Personally, I prefer a full-sized windshield and the passenger backrest, but the red AN400S is very pretty.

Here are your NADA and KBB links. For my ZIP code area, your dealer is WAY above the shown values.

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/suzuki/an400s-burgman-400-limited-edition/2005-suzuki-an400s-burgman-400-limited-edition/suggestedretailvalue/
http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/2005/Suzuki/AN400SK5-BURGMAN-RED-385cc/Values

I saw one recently on Chattanooga Craigslist which is more in line with NADA and KBB: http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/mcy/4021653672.html

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Look at this for a 2011 650 Burgman Executive. http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mcy/4030691383.html or this one http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/3992986457.html it's a $2000 difference, same year, same condition, same color, same model, 250 miles apart.

John

I see this all the time even in the same city , that said IMO both of the fore mentioned are over priced . odds are neither will sell until the prices are lowered . I have seen several 650 Burgs in my area for sale for over a year , some even longer . The one thing they have in common is they are over priced . One person here mentioned they look at EBay and the like to see what actual selling prices are , I do the same . I could care less what book is , or what some wishful thinking seller is asking .

I think a big part of the problem is that a lot of these sellers bought WRONG ! What I mean is the dealer raked them over the coals , so they are trying to recoup their stupidity ? Also I'll see one guy who says he paid 12K out the door , and another guy say he paid 7K out the door for a left over of the same model and year . I tell people all the time that you have to buy it right or you'll get hurt when it comes time to sell .

I have to laugh when I see a new over priced ad pop up on Craigslist when the seller says "no low ball offers" . What this seller is about to find out that what he considers low ball is the new retail , and that he will have to go lower than what he considers low ball to get his bike sold . Sellers have to realize what they paid at the dealer is irrelevant when it comes to selling it . The market dictates the selling price , if you are asking 7K for your 650 Burg and the best offer you've had for 2 months is 4.5K , the value is not 7K it's 4.5K .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I see this all the time even in the same city , that said IMO both of the fore mentioned are over priced . odds are neither will sell until the prices are lowered . I have seen several 650 Burgs in my area for sale for over a year , some even longer . The one thing they have in common is they are over priced . One person here mentioned they look at EBay and the like to see what actual selling prices are , I do the same . I could care less what book is , or what some wishful thinking seller is asking .
TheReaper!
The 650 I bought here was on the market for over 9 months before I bought it. It was priced below retail book with a lot of farkles originally but it didn't sell until the price was dropped three or four times ($1,500). It was one of three I had found with a similar price that was far below retail. I chose the one I did even though it was farther away because of the farkles it had that the others didn't.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yep...I have to agree with the comments made here about the difference between the Kelly Blue Book and NADA prices. I always use the KBB and when I found the bike I wanted, it was over priced according to KBB. I took this into the dealer, who informed that most dealerships use the NADA and I couldn't believe the difference in prices! So, after a little haggling, we met in the middle and everybody was happy. I don't understand why there is such a huge difference in these two guides! KBB good for the buyer and NADA good for the seller!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts