Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey , I did see a thread on the pledge spray use , and fiber cloth.

I do carry a can of spray cleaner and cloth for Goldie but also give her a

full soap and water bath . And also use a blower to dry her :cool:.

On that thread it looks like a bunch use that spray as an only cleaner .

Do you also use soap and water too .

I use the spray as a tough up when need out on rides .:cool:

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
I use Pledge but I also wash the bike off first. The reason is that I want to get the dirt off before I spray the cleaner on. The cleaner will remove it but you are also mixing the dirt with the cleaner and rubbing it around on the finish or plastic. Dirt is an abrasive so when you do that you run the risk of creating fine scratches.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I wash mine with soap and water several times a year, then wax. I also use a soft duster on it every day that it is dry, Pledge or other spays work great (currently using Behold because that is what my wife has in the house). The sprays seem to streak when it rains, so I bought As seen on TV Wipe On and that is keeping the plastics looking like new. I have a duster I keep under the seat when I travel, and use gas station soapy water to clean the wind shield.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I used to use Plexus and now I use Sprayaway 848. This is how I clean the burgman:

1) I clean it with a wet fiber cloth
2) I dry it with another fiber cloth
3) I sprayaway 848
4) I polish with a diff buff

To keep her clean I keep a Duster in the seat trunk and just remove the dust everynow and then, usually in the first ride of the day. It keeps her clean and shiny for at least two weeks under heavy dust conditions.

As a plus it works when you gotta ride off road want to make her look good on the way, see my buddy here at minute 1.16 in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zIT-L11gLr4#t=76

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I've had my Tmax for about 18 months. I've never washed it.

I've had my 2001 Reflex since 2001. I may have washed it early on, but not in at least 10 years. I can't remember but I'm sure I just used soap and water.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I guess I wash mine every 4,000-5,000 miles but us spray otherwise. The secret is to clean it often before it gets very dirty. Just takes a minute or two. I've had my V-Star 14 months and I haven't had a need to wash it yet since I only rode it 2,200 miles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Honda polish is awsome its in can:) really makes plastic shine and really easy to get the bugs off been using it for years

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
There is some spray wax from local Suzook dealer that works well. But mostly, I will give her a quick wash. I do keep the windscreen and headlight clean and waxed if nothing else. Love bugs down here make a holy mess :(

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My condolences, I thought those despicable things were unique to Florida's space coast. There's nothing quite like a clogged radiator and zero-visibility windshield in a cage thanks to those things.
Yes Sir they are nasty , good news is not to bad a year for them this year .

And yes they will ruin a paint job if you don't get um off

And on a bike if your un lucky enough to have to get taste of one they are real bad

·
Registered
352 Posts
And on a bike if your un lucky enough to have to get taste of one they are real bad
Another important reason why I wear a helmet! ;)

When I had a Yamaha 400 Special back in AZ in the early '90's, there were these beetles that didn't splat when they hit... they ricocheted! :eek:
Had a bruise on my shin for 2 weeks thanks to one of those! Worst part was, you could see 'em coming, just couldn't do much about it.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
I wash mine once a week using a liquid car wash soap.

I apply a good liquid UV protectant on the gray plastic to minimize sun fading.

Wax it once a month.

Pledge works nicely on the winshield for cleaning it.

I give it a quick rub down on rainy days after getting home with soft micro
fiber cloth, keeps water spots from forming and keeps the road chemicals
off the Tupperware.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another important reason why I wear a helmet! ;)

When I had a Yamaha 400 Special back in AZ in the early '90's, there were these beetles that didn't splat when they hit... they ricocheted! :eek:
Had a bruise on my shin for 2 weeks thanks to one of those! Worst part was, you could see 'em coming, just couldn't do much about it.
Ouch yes that would leave a mark. Yes sir always a helmet always too.

But I you leave shield up sometimes on full face those lil critters can make there way in yuk

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Well, when all else fails you can always take it to the coin wash and pressure-wash it. :D (BTW, that's a friend's scoot, not mine)

Personally I use a bucket of warm water with a few drops of dish soap, followed by a fresh water rinse then I use Plexus on it.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Just tried Lucas Slick Mist for the first time and I'm pretty happy with it. But Pledge still works great too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
AMA's "American Motorcyclist" magazine has a product in it's Holiday Marketplace section called Spectro Premium Motorcycle wash. MSRP $14.23. Spray it on and rinse it off. I've considered washing my Burgman a few times. Hate to get the electrics wet on an old bike. info: www.spectro-oils.com

·
Registered
352 Posts
Well, when all else fails you can always take it to the coin wash and pressure-wash it. :D (BTW, that's a friend's scoot, not mine)

Personally I use a bucket of warm water with a few drops of dish soap, followed by a fresh water rinse then I use Plexus on it.

Wow! Any potential problems soaking it down like that?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I use a neutral bike wash soap with no wax in it (not dish wash soap as that often has salt in it). I then rinse and leather her off. That's followed by a coat of Autoglym Super Resin Polish, followed by the Autoglym High Gloss finish to protect the resin and give that wet look shine. It's brilliant and lasts for months.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts