Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But we are still missing family friends. My stepmom is trying in vein to find out what happened to her very best friends husband and his two boys. (Her VBF is a nurse working in the caos and is OK)... His name is Tex and he and his sons left for higher ground about 20 miles north of I-10 to a hunting camp. We don't know why he just didn't keep pedalling north but.. i guess they had a pretty solid concrete game locker to hide out in if things got bad. I have no more specifics than that.

Thousands of the least able and ill equipped ppl are in dire straights. Thank you Bryan and all for doing your part. This whole thing is getting worse by the hour. I am donating as much as I can on my limited single divorced Dad with kids salary. I am planning on dropping off supplys at local collection points and i am going to give about 2 or 3 hundred bux to the local drop off agency.

I have given my cell phone number out and I can still put up some ppl. Short term say a few weeks - not a problem say 6 ppl like I said. You'll have to bed doewn on soft carpet but at least its air conditioned and habitable. This old 1110 SF house only has one bathroom but it also has for bedrooms. Beyond that timeframe - if I am going to be the sole provider of food, beer, and my abode in general.... I can only "support" about 2 or three people for that period of time. If that's the case, If there any of you that need longer term (30-60 days) refuge, and tragically, are without means, I sure do need an interior paint job and some "bartering-type" give and take in exchange for your comfort, safety, room and board (after you get your affairs straightened up) - I'll buy the needed supplys for any "jobs" that I can gen up.... The ceiling in my bedroom is still unfinished from it's Ivan collapse. Every night I am looking at nailed up drywall on my ceiling...any dislocated men or women that know their way around drywall and ceiling popcorn stuff?

I had gassed up my three 5 gallon gas jugs, filled up my scooter, car, and truck, got food, water, propane, etc. With Ivan and Dennis (SIGH) I knew that this wasn't looking good. Those of us just on the cusp of the FloraBama state line are all probably wondering what the next few months will entail.

My cohort sent me this link. It's huge but I think that many of you may like it if you have a good connection.

http://wnharrell.com/hurricanekatrina/k ... entary.wmv

Thanks for all you do everyone.

If ANY of you forum members that know of someone specific, or any of you LA,MS, and or AL folks that can reach this thread and need a place to stay or would like some input about whats happening 'round over here please give me a call. 850-642-0599.

This is all can offer at this time. I hope it doesn't end up a bad thing.
Best Regards and wishes, - Pete

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
:!:

Glad you are alright! :D
We still have a few MIA members and a day hasn't gone by without some worrying for them. Paul Barnard are you seeing this? GulfCoastGirl? :!:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hey there Selias!

I'm alive & well. Thanks for your concern!

My thoughts are with our members in the devastated areas.

Take care!
Susan

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update - Tex and Sons found. All are safe and sound in Pensacola with my Dad and Stepmom.

Just got back from Destin (east of here ~40 mile round trip.) Went to see how the whole traffic and gas "thing" was panning out. Minimum gas - most stations empty. Lots of LA, MS, and AL plates. A surprising amount of traffic - way more than I expected.

I can't believe this - it's surreal - even 200 plus miles away from ground zero. I do say tho that many of us had to wait 3 days before relief arrived after Ivan - but - I think that what has happened in this case is not understandable.

I just don't understand it. Lot's of speculation about why it is the way it is... but if I were in charge many people would have already been fired and those ppl would have been let free to get the hell out of there.

Grrrrr. :evil: :evil: :( :(

This is sad and it's complete %@#&^~ - and I'm pissed off.

Thank you Texas. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Good to hear Pete! Glad they are OK! :D

I was watching TV just now (benefit concert on SciFi for Katrina Relief) and they state over 1 million are homeless (still). :(
This situation is unprecidented. It's not going to go away anytime soon.
I am glad so many people are helping out (talking about individuals).
Many folks here in Tx have opened their home to a family in need and apologising they have to sleep on a couch or floor. In Beaumont Goodwill is helping the ones at the Ford center with clothing and finding work to get on their feet. The company I work for (SBC) has donated millions worth of phones in Beaumont, Houston and San Antonio (as well as other relief locations) for victims to make free local and long distance calls and network connectivity (Wi-Fi for media and those running the shows, computers and connections for victims usage, etc.). There are now over 300 up in my little rural area at a church camp receiving aid and shelter (not including those still in motels - who are being polled and informed).
Many from New Orleans basically will have to start a new life with little/nothing. I hope rebuilding New Orleans includes ensuring this never will happen to their citizens again.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Pete,

I like & admire you, so don't take this the wrong way, please. This in no way directed at you or anyone on this board, I've had a belly full & I gotta have my say. The same text that follows is being sent to the newspapers, the White House, my Senator & Representative. The talking heads on the boob toob have pissed me off once too often.

Just what is it you don't understand?

No one, not even those present at ground zero had any clue as to the severity of the situation. I've lived through a couple of bad hurricanes & it still took me 48 hours to come to grips with the level of the devastation in New Orleans. A storm like this hasn't been experienced in just over a century (I refer to the 1900 hurricane that utterly destroyed Galveston).

Remember also, that the worst flooding did not occur until nearly 36 hours after the storm passed when the levies let go & Lake Ponchetrain decided to make a house call.

Now I know there are exceptions to every circumstance, but you can't possibly believe that 20% of the population of the city stayed put after being told to "leave, now!" 48 hours before the storm struck, if the state & local governments had succesfully put across the idea that if they didn't leave, they were gonna die! Granted, there were some who wouldn't leave under any circumstances, & some who couldn't even had they wanted to.

All of the BS I've heard slung at the president, of whom I am no great fan, concerning his lack of response is utter crap. He had aid moving the day it happened. It takes time to mobilize & move men & materiel, even for the United States government.

As the situation snowballed, the relief effort was being increased exponentialy, & it still wasn't enough, again because nobody had any idea of the scope of the problem. No one in living human memory could know it was this bad. As a result it was treated & responded to as has any other hurricane.

And don't think for a minute that every person within 200 miles of New Orleans capable of 2+2=4 didn't know that the city was one hurricane away from oblivion. Houston is not that far away, I lived there for 25 years, I knew & know plenty of coon-ass cajuns (this is not an epithet, this is what they call themselves), & the subject was a popular one over a couple of beers for years. They were told, maybe with not enough force or authority behind it, to get out 48 hours before & they chose to stay.

What really gripes my ass is that these people (granted, not the majority, but enough) almost instantly started looting & plundering. Robbing the dead in what was left of thier own homes! That's bad enough, but these morons then started shooting at the aircraft & personel sent there to try to help them! They LIKE the anarchy! They want it to continue, & **** anyone who gets it thier way! The argument that they are frustrated & trying to gain thier attention is so much hogwash, if you're trying to get someone's attention, you don't shoot at them, men or aircraft, period.

I think the president showed extreme strength & good judgement in not allowing those troops to shoot first & ask questions later. Instead they were pulled back for thier own protection until combat ready reinforcements could be brought up.

And then people start second guessing & berating the president because he didn't move fast enough, while these crazies are out there preying on thier own & threatening the lives of the people sent in to help them.

Just who could have possibly done any better?

And if this pisses anyone off or turns them against me, I'm sorry, but I have to call it as I see it. I am just as devastated by this as anyone, possibly moreso since I have been through it not once, but twice. This is not the time to start throwing bricks at anyone, this is the time when we all pull together & help, or at least stay the hell out of the way, so that those who will, can.

I'm done. Rant off. We now return you to your locally televised program.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I won't argue with that Chuck - I guess I am just a bit bamboozled at/with the whole ordeal. Looks like things are starting to turn around - and thats good. I guess I need to focus on the positive as much as I (we) can.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Chuck, I agree with about 95% of what you said.

The only exception would be a) that it might give the impression that you thought all or most of the people were engaged in the violence and looting and b) I thought you might have minimized the problems of mobility that so many poor, elderly, and sick had to face.

If you don't have a car and a credit card with a high limit and the health/strength or other resouces to leave - you stay.

But i agree that playing the blame game is the worst possible thing that can happen in a monumental tragedy like this.

Regards,

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I agree with all of the above comments. Finger pointing is for arm-chair quarterbacks. I do not believe most have any idea of the logistics of mobilizing a relief effort, let alone the extent of this particular disaster.
Fortunately on these forums folks seem a step above 'normal' and rather than playing the escalative-reactive game take a step back and actually absorb someone else's intended thoughts rather that reiterating their own or debasing. Were that it were the rule rather than the exception. I believe that is the best part of these forums (regarding Burgmans), the feedback and refining of ideas and procedures.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Ken OBSC said:
Chuck, I agree with about 95% of what you said.

The only exception would be a) that it might give the impression that you thought all or most of the people were engaged in the violence and looting and b) I thought you might have minimized the problems of mobility that so many poor, elderly, and sick had to face.

If you don't have a car and a credit card with a high limit and the health/strength or other resouces to leave - you stay.

But i agree that playing the blame game is the worst possible thing that can happen in a monumental tragedy like this.

Regards,
Ken,

I did not intend that anyone think that all, or even most were involved in the violence, I did, in fact, qualify that in my original statement. The few always screw things up for the many, & in my not-so-humble opinion, those few should be eliminated from the gene pool ASAP. Although the president's restraint is to be applauded, we definitely would have all benefited from the immediate removal of these sick bastards from society.

I also in no way intended to minimize the problems of those too poor or too infirmed to evacuate on thier own (there is an extremely high probability that I would be among that group, were I there), rather I am being highly critical of the city fathers & present administration that they did/do not have a plan in place for just such an emergency as this.

Those same individuals who have been so loudly pointing the finger at the president or anyone else they can dream up to blame, as long as they don't get any on themselves. Do you think any of them are currently in New Orleans? Or have been for over a week? I think not. Do you think that any of them were unaware of the hapless poor &/or infirmed? If so, they're even more stupid than I thought.

I do, however, find this to be highly unlikely, & now a great many of those poor & infirmed people are dead because of the criminal negligence of the powers-that-be in that poor city. Like it or not, this is tantamount to murder, but will any of them face justice? Are you out of your rock-happy mind? They ARE the poor excuse for justice in that town, & I gaurentee not one of them will step up to the plate & accept the blame that belongs squarely on thier shoulders.

I appreciate your pointing out the weakness in my writing, as I may have inadverdantly given the impression of being callous toward those poor unfortunates, when in fact that was the last thing on my mind. I am so put out & angry with those that allowed this situation (as obviously inevitable as it was) to be so much worse than it had to be by thier lack of caring & complete ineptitude, that I allowed my anger to give the impression that I was minimizing thier plight, when my true intent was so much the opposite.

Am I pointing fingers now? You bet your ass I am, it's high time somebody spoke out so as not to allow those guilty of this heinous crime, & crime it is, to sidestep or gloss over the issue. The teflon reputations of those responsible are gonna get filthy dirty before I am done.

I'm out.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hey Wyldman, Selias, Ken, & Pete!

I hope when this is over, we at least learn from the mistakes that were made & that everyone affected finds peace at the end of this road.

Susan

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Right on, Susan.

1. If the mayor and the governor were serious about getting the city evacuated, buses and other transportation would have been provided, and a greater majority of those people would have been placed in safe shelters/football domes BEFORE the levees broke.

2. I do blame the president, amongst other elected officials. This is not 1900 Galveston, where there is no TV, and communication is only slightly better than pony express. This is 2005, the age of instant communication, cell phones, satellites and blackberries. The media had choppers surveying the scene on Tuesday and Wednesday, and already then you could see the mass of people in need. Like one brave survivor boldly told the president... "It doesn't take a genius to see what we need." With no water, no food, no electricity etc., and the city under 8 feet of water, the emergency response sends in a few choppers to pull off a couple of hundred people off roof tops? Come on. And then relief efforts are diverted to stop looting.

3. The president should be blamed. On Wednesday, he addressed the nation, having seen the damage reported by the media. He (or his staff) should have been following this tragedy every ten minutes, asking for an update and seeing whether help had arrived. Why did water not arrive until Friday? Additionally, in the Wednesday address, he chuckled a bit and promised , "We will rebuild New Orleans. It will be better than it was." (paraphrased). If he had responded in such a lackadaisical way after 9/11, he would have been roasted on the spot.

4. Yes, it takes time to mobilize help. However, when 9/11 happened, there was emergency crews, doctors, search teams and an abundance of supplies on site within HOURS. Granted the logistics are hugely different in this case; still, the response and organization is deplorable.

I hope the people responsible are held publicly accountable, including everyone from the mayor right on up to the president and the FEMA folks. Hard to imagine the situation this bungled in the U.S. and makes me embarrassed for us as a nation. Don't get me wrong: I totally and completely applaud every one of the people on the ground helping out. Without them, this would be even worse if that's even possible.

God forbid a catastrophe like this happened in any one of our local areas. I have zero confidence in the emergency management folks that they'd avoid a repeat of this.

Lastly, lest we forget... with so many of our troops pre-occupied with A. the war in Iraq and B. the Katrina aftermath, we are totally and utterly sitting ducks for the real enemy, who is still loose in the world.

Sorry... couldn't keep my mouth shut. Off soapbox now.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
It is a shame that the entire news channel is not showing all the work has and is being done to have supplies sent to the coast.

At Navy Air Station Meridian, Ms We had FEMA people and supplies (18 wheelers loads) arriving Friday before the hurricane came in. Meridian, MS. is about 200 miles from New Orleans and the coast; here we had winds 50 to 60 MPH with gust up to 80. From here and all the way to the coast has major damage, so it was not easier for supplies to get to the coast and New Orleans was thinking they made it good with this hurricane. You never hear the news reports taking about all the damage 200 plus miles away with roads blocked with fallen trees and power lines.

No one person is to blame for the errors that have been made, it is time for the finger pointing to stop and get busy with the recovery of these people life.

I worked at the Red Cross Office here in Meridian today and those people are working hard to provide items the people that is coming in to these shelters need. So keep the donations coming and donate some of your time to your Red Cross office.

While taking clothes to one of the shelters today, we talked to a woman from New Orleans and she had gone out I found a job a Walmart, her husband has a job lined up too and found a place to live. This couple did not ask what the government can give me but what can I do for myself.

I have said my peace. Let look to the future now and learn from our errors.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
GammelDansk,

While I don't fully agree with all of your points, you have said clearly what I have been trying in vain to get out, namely that the organizational failures started with the Mayor & City Council of New Orleans & the Governor of Louisiana & were compounded drasticly by FEMA & Homeland Security, & ultimately by the President himself. As the Commander-In-Chief, it is his responsibility to shoulder the blame for the failures of his staff as he put them there in the first place.

And welcome to BUSA!

Susan, I agree wholehearedly.

Ruthie, thank you for pointing out that there were assets in place to respond, & that those assets were severely hampered in thier progress into the "war zone". Thank you also for your contribution to the effort, I wish I was able to do what you did, though I have & will continue to do what little I am capable of.

Now, let's get this thing done!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
WOW, I read a lot of anger and hostility toward "The Government" here. So many people expect "The Government" to be ready to handle ANYTHING that comes our way. After all, this is The United States of America, shouldn't everything be perfect here? Get real, it's not. "The Government" is made up of people and people are not perfect. Things don't always go the way they are planned. Things change. People don't always act the way others would like them to act. That is reality.

What selfless act of kindness have you performed in the last day, week month or year. Ask yourself "What have I done to make some strangers life better just because I can. When was the last time I did without, so someone else could have something they really needed?"

Don't be so eager to cast the first stone. Be part of the solution!

Janine :)

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Please pardon my spam folks but I feel the cause is worthwhile. As I posted in another thread in this forum I am repeating it here as I was asking about Paul's status in this thread...

A new post appeared in general discussion stating Paul Barnard and family are alive and well but displaced (click HERE to see the thread).
Apparently they lost everything. Not so uncommon in Biloxi (as in N'Orleans). I'm digging as deep as possible and intend on sending him some assistance. For those who remember Paul he had just recently retired from the coast guard this spring and was starting a new career just north of Biloxi.
I doubt Paul would mind me sharing a PM from him...

I had such a great time meeting and riding with the other forum members in TN that I would really enjoy the opportunity to meet up with more. If there were an event of some sort to go to in the Baton Rouge area then that would be a bonus.

My schedule is up in the air. I have begun my post Coast Guard employment quest in earnest and have no idea what the future holds. Let's see if we can do a little digging around to find a worthwhile get-together and we'll invite all the riders within a couple hours.

Paul
I believe he met up with other members up in TN. Bill maybe?
Anyway, I am diverting focus here. Hope others understand why I am kidnapping the thread and hopefully helping Paul and his family out!
:)

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll try to get in touch with him today and tomorrow to offer him any help that I can. I think that I may be one of the closest (distance wise) members. But Gulfport is much closer to where his stuff used to be... Maybe he could stay with me for a while. Any way - thanks for letting us know!
Pete

1 - 18 of 18 Posts