Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi'ya from Hawaii(a)!

We'll be leaving Oahu for home (Illinois) tomorrow evening, and have been having a wonderful time.

A month or so before coming, I PM'd Chickenman from Honolulu to ask if he knew of a place that I might rent a nice motorcycle (aka not Harley) or a super scoot. His reply: "That would be way too expensive. Why don't you just use mine for a couple of days?" This is from a guy who I've never even met! I let him know that I'd be rather uncomfortable with that setup for obvious reasons. Before you know it, we'd emailed back and forth several times and even talked by phone. After a short time, we got to be pretty good friends. He even helped with our itinerary; getting special discounts on some of the things we wanted to do. We arranged to meet over breakfast on out first morning on Oahu. He again pressed us to use his Chickenburger, assuring us that it would be no inconvenience to him or his lovely bride if we chose to do so. We ended up keeping his AN400 for almost three full days.

The Burgy 400 is the ideal choice for the islands. Any speed necessary to keep up with traffic is easily maintained, even two-up ala Sharon and I. We ended up putting around 190 miles on his bike. He's added a Laminar Lip, which seemed to work very well. The best ride was on the Kamehameha Highway along the North Shore. Sharon and I left just after noon from Kaneohe, where we're staying with our neice, riding leisurely along the coast. To the right was gently rolling surf, generally breaking around 100 yards or so off the coast on the reef. To the left was steep, tree and brush covered mountains, sometimes capped with fluffy rain clouds, sometimes not. Along the route were fresh-water shrimp farms, various bays and inlets, and some of the hottest surf spots in the world. Sunset Beach, Pipeline, Waimea, etc. are places that I dreamed of as a kid, being one of the original Lake Michigan surfers in the early '60's. We ended up at the Dole Plantation, which we toured, and then rode back, returning home just after dark. The 400 was as smooth and reliable as my trusty 650, once we reached cruising speed (it shakes a little more on take-off), and the only thing I found that I missed was the fabulous engine-braking of the 650 and it's accompanying diesel noise :D .

My neice is training a professional surfer as a Real Estate broker, and she arranged to have him take me surfing in Haleiwa yesterday. Surf was much better - some of the shops weren't even renting boards because the surf was too high - but we were able to get me a long board, longer than the 8'6" Malibu that I owned as a 13 year-old, almost twice as long as the custom 6'2" Gordon & Smith twin-fin that I bought when I was a 19 year-old sailor stationed at San Diego, and I managed to get in a few good rides before this tired old body just refused to paddle out through another set. I'm still running on pure stoke!

Hen (that's Chickenman's name) and his wife, Arlene, are two of the nicest folks I've had the priveledge to know. They left for the mainland to visit relatives last night, and I miss having them around. Hen is a former FAC (Forward Air Controller) in VietNam who was shot down in '69, and has had some accompanying physical problems for most of his life ever since. He plays in a Mariachi (I think) band, which is part of the reason he's looking to attach a sidecar to the Burger. It'll hold the ukulele, but not that fat guitar! I'm looking forward to calling him and Arelene friends for many healthy years.

It's been the trip of a lifetime, but I'm anxious to get back to all my friends doing 10 to Life - NOT!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Nice trip report! I could almost smell the salt sea air...

It always amazes me how the members of this BurgmanUSA internet community help each other out. I think Chickenman just captured 1st place in the hospitality rankings though.

Um... you are not going to like the temperature back in Illinois too much. Looks like right now 46 degrees is about average throughout the state. :twisted:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Sounds like a GREAT time. Makes me want to head over there myself. :)

Hen, you'd better be careful about loaning the Chickenburger or you and Arlene may end up with a lot of 'new friends' coming to visit. :wink:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Wow! Great story. It's one thing being able to enjoy a nice vacation to an exotic place like that, but to gain a new friendship and being able to ride......Priceless!

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Brilliant! :) :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I forgot to add - the Chickenburger registered 69.8 miles per gallon (!) - over 20 mpg better than my 650!

That 190 miles was on one tank. I wouldn't have dared to try that on mine.

Steve

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Been trying all week to avoid reading this story, something told me it would be a good one
and it was, the trouble is now I have to go out and ride my local dusty streets.
Well maybe that will give me time to think about how to get me and my 400 over to Hawaii :lol:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hawaii Calls

Thanks for the many nice strokes. I'm more than happy to help any Burger folks have a great visit to our Islands. I hadn't seen Steve's account of his ride while he was here until a week ago. We didn't have a chance to do a debrief since I had to go to the mainland before he returned home to IL. Glad to hear he left with great memories.

I've been looking for a sidecar for a year and the only sources are on the mainland. Rather than ship my 400 up to CA to have one installed, then ship it back ($800 each way), I may as well just buy another Burger. Time is getting short for me. I can feel my lungs protesting any exertion, so I'd better get set up for 3 wheeling soonest. Right now, I'm looking for a used 650 in the vicinity of Dallas. I intend to buy one and get it over to the folks at Texas Sidecar to have a sidecar installed, and then ship the whole kitnkaboodle to Hawaii. Haven't decided if I really have the balls to ride it to California's docks; especially in winter. But if the wife doesn't notice that I'm gone, I could take my time and have quite an adventure skirting along the Mexican border :twisted: . Good time to improve my Guitarron playing with mariachi groups in local bars along the way. Will teach ukulele for food. :joker:

When I get it home, I'll likely sell my 400 since space is tight around the condo I live in. Although now I have an extra parking stall since my 1964 Corvair went up in flames two weeks ago. :cry: Gas leak underneath ignited as it was leaving a gas station. Pretty exciting experience.

Hope you all had a great holiday season. Looking forward to seeing you on your next vacation here in Honolulu where we ride nearly 365 days a year, rain or shine :p

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Re: Hawaii Calls

Chickenman said:
Gas leak underneath ignited as it was leaving a gas station.
:shock: Glad you didn't go up with it Hen. With any luck, maybe one of our forum members down Dallas way can help you locate a used 650. I'd be cautious about buying one sight unseen otherwise.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aaaaaaaaugh! That beautiful car! I'm so sorry.

We think of you and Arlene often, and look forward to someday seeing you again. We're bound to end up at the same place - eventually. :wink:

If I can be of any help in your quest for a 650, by all means, let me know.

Have fun, but don't overdo it.

With love from Illinois,
Steve and Sharon

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
wasions said:
Hi'ya from Hawaii(a)!

The best ride was on the Kamehameha Highway along the North Shore. Sharon and I left just after noon from Kaneohe, where we're staying with our neice, riding leisurely along the coast.
Kamehameha.
Sounds like something Jackie Gleason would say, when at a loss for words.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts