Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here. This forum has already been a great resource. Sorry for the long post.

I purchased a K7 with 12,004 miles last month. At 13,100 miles transmission started making a lot of noise and overheated on Saturday. First it was taking a lot more rpm for clutch to engage. Then when I stopped and put bike on center stand clutch was dragging to the point i couldn't stop the rear wheel with the parking brake. I let it cool for a couple hours and tried to ride it home. I had a bad vibration at speed over 55 now and a lot of noise.

I pulled the cover off on Sunday bearing was stuck on shaft and i found both the wearmarks people have seen on the variator but also some fresh radial scratches/nicks on the variator. Revved the engine and belt has a lot of vibration. The bearing on shaft had most of the grease baked out. There was surface rust on the shaft. So I know that the below highlighted items are damaged.

I suspect that the below items are damaged and need replaced as well. clutch bell was blued and I assume its like smaller scooters where it can go out of round and cause vibration.

I blew everything out, changed the final drive oil, cleaned the fan screen, left the bearing on the shaft and drove the cover back on. The clutch, noise and vibration seemed a little better at first but an extended drive brought the vibration and noise back.

I would like to get all the parts together to fix this properly before I open the bike back up. My plan had been to buy a Dr. Pulley HiT Clutch 261302 with 55 degree pillow springs for the Suzuki Burgman 400 for years 2007 and up; and Dr. Pulley Sliding Roller Weights 26x13 (18g).

Can anyone confirm that these are the correct items?
What item #s from the above fische do I need to replace while I am in there?

I searched the forum but couldn't find a definitive wear parts list.

My thoughts are:
11 [21214-15F00]
23 [08331-4137A]
22 [08123-69047]
10 [21210-05H00]
15 (2) [21247-31G00]
12 [21240-05H00]
14 (2) [21245-15F00]
24 [21220-05H20]
30 [09280-32008]
31 (2) [24742-44B00]
29 [09262-35064]
1 [21110-05H00]
19 [27601-05H00]
2 [21120-05H00]
4 (2) [21124-15F00]
7 (4) [21481-14F00]

I appreciate any feed back.

Brett

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
DO a search of the 2007+ forum for "shudder" and you should find a wealth of info regarding causes & cures.

Bearing stuck on the shaft might be easily removed if you remove the cover while the transmission is somewhat warm. Mine had been frozen on the shaft for 1.5 years until the last time I replaced some stuff in the transmission (see my post under http://burgmanusa.com/forums/52-burgman-400-2007-model/76009-getting-ready-do-40k-maintnenance.html ).

From your description, I would be curious about the condition of your roller weights. Also the movable plate and the roller channels. It sounds to me like your variator is getting stuck in a high ratio state. That could exhibit the symptoms you describe. I would be looking carefully at parts 1,2,4,5,6,7,8 in your diagram.

The three shoe clutch is a known issue. Replacing it with the five shoe could be a cost effective alternative to a HIT clutch.

Mitch has a video that shows the transmission running with the cover off that you might use as a reference regarding what to expect during normal transmission operation. Some belt vibration is expected.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I fully agree with Chatman on this. It does sound as if you have some rollers worn or sticking in the variator causing the vibration. The clutch should by now have been replaced by Suzuki for the 5 shoe version as they modded all the early clutches free of charge and fitted the air cooling snorkel with filter for the transmission. Clutch shoes should be deglazed and cleaned using 80 grit emery but keep the surfaces of the shoes nice and flat and even. Don't be tempted to use a lesser grade emery like 220 or anything like that. It doesn't cut the ice and you want a nice rough but even surface on each shoe with the fibres exposed. Also clean out the clutch bell with brake cleaner to remove any clutch shoe resin that can also cause judder and vibration as you move off. The bell should not go out of true so don't worry about that but it's easy to check if you believe that to be the case. Good luck and post back with how you are getting on.

·
Registered
405 Posts
No general freebee on the 3 shoe clutch from Suzuki. Bitch maybe back in the day but it is not a warranty item. Rebuild with 5 shoe configuration or Dr. Pully. Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I'll add part 3 to the list. Clutch didn't look too worn. I might just stick with it and clean the pads bell.

I'll get the belt bearing and sheaves on order. I ll post pictures when I open it up.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
DoubleJ, it was a recall on all three shoe clutches at the time here in the Uk, but even now I've heard of Suzuki changing 3 shoe clutches on an individual basis of bikes that slipped through the recall net. Might be worth a try of the op.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Would be nice but not here in Canuckistan, Anyway no gripes with my 3 shoe setup. As a matter of fact none on the '07 that get my goat. One of the best rides I have bought....

·
Registered
48 Posts
First place to look is #6, and of course the rollers. Yes they can be put in backwards. (My pics show some significant damage)

If you are going to replace Part 2, do not forget part 4!
Removeing them from old Part 2 will probably destroy them, they are Rubber and just push in with your fingers.

I had to replace the entire front half of the CVT just a couple weeks ago.

Before and after pics:
https://plus.google.com/photos/103201839200623869601/albums/6030117805132339569

Look at my thread:
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/52-burgman-400-2007-model/84297-guess-mileage.html
and
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/52-burgman-400-2007-model/85458-old-parts-vs-new-variator.html
My parts list:
Fixed Drive: 61.29
Movable Drive Face: 68.90
Movable Drive Seals: 13.28
Movable Drive Plate: 26.30
4 Screws: 9.96

10% discount (outlawlife)
Shipping
Total: 180.73

buggypartsnw.com bill:
Dr. Pulley Sliders 19g: 54.95
Dr. Pulley Variator Slide Piece: 17.95
Shipping 5.00

Total: 77.90

Total bill to complete replacement of front half of CVT:

So, if you haven't ordered your parts yet, those are the only parts I ordered/needed and the Burgman sounds/rides like new again.

The job itself is very easy. The very 2nd time looking taking apart and putting back together took a total of less than 15 minutes (as shown on time stamps of my videos). Well, I have an air impact(Use a 15/16 if you can't find a 22mm, six sided impact socket.) and a drill driver I used. I even took the plastic off in that amount of time.

Just number your bolts, or line them up so they go back in their proper holes, they vary in length.

One critical point to make you hopefully super aware of, is to check the air screen bolt lengths. Just ensure that they are the smallest polts you have left over. At the time you are buttening everything back up, you might use the outer cover bolts instead, they are 5mm longer and will make contact with the "fan" (Part #1, FACE, FIXED DRIVE).

·
Registered
48 Posts
I appreciate the link to your site and the information is there any advantage to the dr pulley variator slide piece https://www.buggypartsnw.com/index.php/dr-pulley-variator-slide-piece-2613-y.html over the stock suzuki parts. They seem to be the same as #7 (4) suzuki # 21481-14F00.
Advantage #1: They cost less
Advantage #2: They put the cvt in higher gear sooner, so, lower RPM at highway speed.
Mine shows 4000 RPM @ 40mph, that is with calibrated (Speed Healed) speedometer.

Come to think of it, no they have no effect on performance. They just cost less. You can see the pics, that they show more thickness, but that is moot since they don't keep the ramp centered, the output shaft from the engine keeps the ramp centered!

($4.56 x 4 = $19.80 ) vs $17.95

1 - 10 of 10 Posts