Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://instagr.am/p/CBYU6IHgR8h/
I’ve had an ongoing issue with my 65k mile, 2007 Burgman 400 starting. It cranks really slow, especially at first. Even with a fully charged, brand new Li Ion battery the cranking doesn’t get up to speed. I’ve also tried it with jump starter and had no increased cranking speed. The voltage read 15.5 when I hooked up the battery. So I’m at a loss with my limited electrical skills. It will eventually start, but not reliably.

I’ve heard starters rarely go out, but could this be the problem? It runs like a top once started, so I’m guessing it’s not a spark or fuel issue.

Any ideas on what to try would be helpful. Thank you all for contributing to such a fine forum.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Check all cable connections going to the starter, check any earths. Not sure how easy the starter is to get to but I'd be trying to bypass everything including the starter relay and try and get some power to the starter. If it still turns slow then it looks like the starter is the problem. Has it just started doing this,ie did it spin faster before.
Starter relays can be problematic at times, if the contacts corrode or burn up this would cause your starter not to spin as fast. If you don't feel confident messing with the electrics find someone who is, they can maybe run a few checks.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
"I’ve heard starters rarely go out "

"65k mile " I think yours may be tired.
my brushes were worn out on mine. it just wouldnt crank.
problem is its difficult to access to tap with a hammer to coax it to start. its under the air filter box. you have to remove the body panel. 40 minutes to take on and off and to install a new starter. get some dielectric great and use a vacuum to clean the area the starter sits in as it accumulates lots of gravel and dirt in that pocket. youll have to remove the leg the throttle body cover the side plastics disconnect the 4 lights in rear. top plastic butt cover also. airbox and wiring harness which is like 8 connectors or so. clean the hole where the starter fits in. use greats on the edge o-ring. keep the area clean. I also used a thin coating of lube on the gear head edge to let it slide in easier. dont force it. it goes in quite smoothly.

you can buy an aftermarket chinese one. personally, id then order just the brush set, if the commutator is good. sand it down slightly. clean between the slots. and keep oem as spare IN THE BIKE.

get an extra bolt to make good contact.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I wish someone could find a brush set for my 2008 400 starter! Getting at the starter is unpleasant. Once you get there, try using jumper cables directly from a good 12v battery. Ground the - side. BRIEFLY touch the + jumper to the starter terminal, does it spin? The relay doesn't seem to be a substantially constructed item- I cut my failed one open. Good luck. Post your results.

Reactions: Liamjs

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
No body panels need be removed. Starter is hiding under the airbox.

Reactions: Liamjs

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This tree shade mechanic knows when he’s licked (a good skill to have). Thank you all for your input. I passed your knowledge on to the resident mechanic at the dealership and they’re replacing the starter with one I purchased off eBay. No new ones were available. You all are so supportive. I appreciate the collective mindset.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
No body panels need be removed. Starter is hiding under the airbox.
sir, I beg to differ. I removed my starter 3 different times. to get to the starter motor you need to remove the air filter box, to remove them there are 3 or 4 (cant remember) bolts on the left side (if sitting on the bike) bolts (10mm) that need to be removed. you can only access them from removing the big wide side plastics and to remove that, you need to remove the passenger grip, the 3 covers in the rear, and the side accent plastic that goes along the side. the airbox has a tube on the back thats connected with a hose clamp, and when the airbox is dancing but not coming out, realize you have a plug type connector that you need to release with some brute force. Id use some grease on it when reinserting will make it easier if you need to remove again next time. youll need to remove the rubber hose in the front of the airbox and the wire harness. I recommend you mark the connectors, although ALL are different sizes so you cant mix any of them. just for convenience I say. make sure you clean the cavity where the starter goes because its concave and accumaltes a lot of dirt an gravel there. and use grease on the oring at the end of the starter that goes into the body. dont force it in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts