Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike is running great but there is a sound that I believe is coming from the front. Think of a cricket, raise it's pitch 2 octaves-almost beyond hearing and then make it go very very quickly. It only occurs when the bike is moving. I can't recall if it slows as the bike slows. It is very faint but now that I've locked onto the sound I hear it all through the ride. I am 80 pct sure it is coming from the front. Last winters salty puddles and low temperatures might have worked their dastardly deed on the bearings or something. It has 9700 miles on it. Does this sound familiar to any of you? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Check the bearings, A While back i found that My Left Front Bearing Broke, did not even know until i Jacked up the bike and tried to Turn the Front Wheel and it did not Turn by Hand was Stiff as a Dead Bore, P.S Don't spray WD-40 or any kind of Those kind of Sprays for trey will Neutralize the Grease in the Bearings and make them Stiff, Use A-1 Oil Lube, Another thing it may be is the Brakes, Check Pads and make sure there not Low!! when Low there are those kind of sounds..... Good Luck!

Elliott,

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found that the wheel does not turn freely and groans when turned. Slight pressure was applied to the front brakes while turning the wheel and the sound diminished. I think I need to look at the brakes here. I pulled the wheel front to back and there was no play in the bearings. Thanks for good information Elliot.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Remove brake caliper and try again...Bearings could be drying out and may not always have play immediately.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I removed the brakes calipers and gave the wheel a few turns. It turned free and smooth without any sound so the wheel bearings are eliminated. I eyeballed the brake pads and it has plenty of meat on it although there is some outer corrosion on the housing. When I replaced the calipers the same dragging sound-intermittent, and grinding-like sounds with no free wheel movement. I am thinking it needs to be cleaned up inside there. I am nervous about letting a repair shop do work but there is little choice. I'd love to get inside those things and clean house but it looks a bit complicated. I'll order seals and farm it out. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
What kind of helmet you wearing? ;)

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GMAX 54S modular.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The reason I ask is that I've experienced various speed related whistles and chirps that turned out to be caused by helmet vents and sitting position relative to the windshield. Just keep that in mind as you pursue the source of yours.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The wheel is noisy and difficult to spin while on the center stand. I am 99 pct sure it is a stuck caliper. Trying to find the Cajones to disassemble it and clean it up. Knowledge = Cajones.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts