Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone confirm differences between the AN400 K3 and K4 apart from the paint colours?

I have a recent K3 that has two tone colour scheme. metallic Blue on the top panels and silver on the bottom. It seems to have the manual oil change setting. The small dash pockets have a cover that flips up. Judging by what I can find on the web, this seems to be a K3.5 !!

·
Registered
806 Posts
The only differences I know of is:

-The gauges have a difference script or "font" as owner feedback was the k3's were not easy to read.

- The dashboard storage right and left of the handlebars have "swingout" covers that offer easier access.

- Adjustable interval for the oil change light.

I think that's it...

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Julian :hello2:
Welcome to the forum. :)
As you know I am trying to pin down this info too!

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
The only ones listed on the Suzuki Cycles site for the 2004 models are :

NEW FEATURES:

* Adjustable oil change indicator light - can be preset from 300 miles to 3600 miles in 300 mile increments
* Improved operation of front storage compartment covers

·
Registered
806 Posts
I parked mine side by siide with a friend's 03. I couldn't see anything else besides what I stated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Has anyone seen a picture of the new and old storage covers? Mine have a hinge at the front and open upwards with a latch on the front edge of the main dash.

And like I said, mine also has the adjustable oil intervals on the warning light. (I think).

And yet it's a K3.

·
Registered
806 Posts
When the K3 and K4 are closed, or open for that matter, they look the same. The difference is that you can grab the K4's and they will "spin" 90 degrees towards the outside of the bike, counterclockwise on the right side and clockwise on the left.

But as I recall, the K3 and K4 look the same closed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The only difference I know of between the two is that the '04s are better.

Okay.. I admit, I'm biased. :p

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
mupp said:
CINCNORAD said:
The only difference I know of between the two is that the '04s are better.
Yes! And cleaner!
(Runs and hides from Norman's ancient K3........) :p :p
I think mine is a J2! :lol:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
The main difference is the K4 gets better gas milage and the Silver one is shinery.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Better mileage?

Why should the K4 get better mileage than the K3? have they changed anything on the engine or fuel injection?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Jbond, its just that being Silver and slick, it just naturally gets better milage! :lol: :lol:

We're just pulling your leg a bit.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Jbond: excellent pictures. You did a beautiful job on your seat and have given me the incentive to tackle mine.

I've been thinking of something similar to what you've done as it seems I'm always sliding forwarding and would like to create more of a pocket to sit in, but was/am concerned that with the removal of the foam from the rear portion there will be virtually nothing left between the tailbone and the underneath plastic.

After having done yours, do you find it comfortable during long rides?
Do you have any idea as to whether the rear portion of the underneath plastic could be heated and bent/curved inward in order to get a bit more foam on that rear section?

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Nice pics Jbond. I like the backrest that doesn't require cutting into the buttrest to install.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Seat

Ted, I'm left with only about 1/2" of foam at the back. Curiously it doesn't seem to be a problem. Even with the bum stop all the way back, the bulk of your weight is further forward where the foam is quite a bit thicker. I think it might be a good plan to use a gel pad for the back and merge it into the main foam piece. On a bicycle even a very thin gel pad is enough on a hard saddle. Just sit a fraction further forward and slump a bit and it's not a problem. But I've literally only just done this and haven't done a long ride yet (still running in as well!). I did the exact same mod on an AN400X which had the same issue and 30,000 miles later it wasn't a problem.

Because of the hardware underneath the seat there's very little space here and Suzuki had to get a seat base and the seat frame in there. They might have been able to get more of a step rather than a ramp. Somebody's talked about hacking into the seat base as well between the rails to try and deal with this, but I don't really want to do that.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Jbond, thanks for the feedback. I will wait till winter when theres less riding time and then have a go at mine.

Where does one find a tool like you used to smooth it off?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
ted clement said:
Jbond, thanks for the feedback. I will wait till winter when theres less riding time and then have a go at mine.

Where does one find a tool like you used to smooth it off?
Ted
Here are a couple of explanatory links:
Link 1
Link 2

Piccy =

These tools are not expensive.

Hope this is helpful.
:)

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Norm, thanks for the links....gives me a better idea of what I might need. Theres a large wood working supply house about 30 miles away that will probably have a suitable rasp. I have a pretty good assortment of cutting tools, knives, and several rasp type files that might do the job.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts