Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the install of my new CityGrips, I noticed that the bearings had a slight lumpy feel as I rotated the front wheel, so I ordered a bearing kit from Allballs. A whopping $12 shipping included. I noticed that the kit included 2 grease seals, but upon removal I noticed that there was no seal installed on the speedometer side. The side with the grease seal looked like new with fresh clean grease throughout the bearing, and rand smooth. The speedometer side was dried out with a brown waxy residue all through the bearing, with a rough lumpy feel, definitely worn out. The question I had was should I install the grease seal on the speedometer side even though the parts diagram does not call for one? There seems to be room for the seal.
:confused:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I've run into it a couple of times, but never yet on my Burg. That's why I've been keeping my mouth shut rather than telling the story of how I rode to Tampa from South Carolina with one of the front bearings shredded and what I did when I got my Connie home. The fact that it probably works the same isn't good enough for me to offer advice.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I've not had to replace the bearings on my 400 yet so I've never paid much attention to the seal setup. The separate seal is a dust seal not a grease seal The grease seal is the one on the bearing it's self. Looking at the manual it does appear that there is no separate dust seal on the speedometer side. Can't advise you on whether adding the seal is a good idea or not. My worry would be that adding it might cause interference with the speedometer sensor. My assumption is that Suzuki feels the speedometer sensor housing serves the function of a dust seal when it is in place.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went ahead and installed both dust seals. I think that it may add an extra layer of protection to the speedometer side of the wheel based upon the results from only 15,000 miles. There was plenty of room for the seal and did not come in contact with the speedometer coupling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts