Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried for over 1 hour to get the K&N SU-4077 air filter to fit.

I first tried to install it in the upper lid per the instructions.

It appears that the dimensions are slightly different.

Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
A good heat gun (or a decent hair dryer) is necessary - you'll need to soften up the rubber a bit and once it fits in the top half of the air cleaner, you're close to home.

Unlike the stock filter, this one is thicker so you'll have to install it (with the filter being already installed in the lid) from a very low angle.

I forgot the angle requirement the other day when I cleaned mine.

It can be done - it's just a bit of a royal pain in the tail to do it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will try heat gun.

I can get it to attach to lid with a little effort.

But, where it attached to the airbox is way off.

Do I need to remove the upper and lower gaskets?

·
Registered
748 Posts
I ground off a lip on one of the edges on my K&N, it slips in fine now, but I always smear a layer of grease around that area to insure that it seals. So I'm not saying that's the way to go, but it was my route. I was pretty frustrated too. I never did like the 'plastic on plastic' seal of my K&Ns, so I always grease them anyway.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The heat gun did the trick.

I heated it enough to soften the material. It stays soft for a few minutes, enough time to get it installed.

One other comment, the air filter is a SU-4007, not a SU-4077

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Having the scooter on the ground or side stand and and trying to put as much weight as you can on the rear of the scooter helps as it moves the air box away from the frame giving a bit more room, setting the rear suspension on the lowest setting helps to.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Trust me - those tabs that the filter slide in to will break.

Also, now that the filter is in, the heat from that area, especially in the summer, will help get the air filter to fully conform to the filter base/top.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts