Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems I'm on a roll. I'm updating and replacing things on the 07 AN400, tire issue posted a couple of weeks ago. I decided to replace the air filter with a K&N replaceable. I read all the posts, watched the videos, thought, no problem. Well, after 5 days and about 20 hours, I'm giving up. I removed all the rough spots, even heated the thing in the oven, it simply will not fit. I can get the forward screw to line up, but there is a 3/8 inch gap on the other. Does anyone know of a good source for original air filters.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Yeah!! Sorry about that, Some people had Success some don't, the problem is the Stock Airbox itself , there Simply not enough room to put it in, I made my own K&N Filter years ago before any were made , And the other Problem is the way K&N Designed them for our models, Some time you would have to Remove the entire Airbox to install it, which is a lot of work....

Elliott,

·
I'm Retired
9,371 Posts
I soak my old one in dishwashing detergent (it is made to cut grease) and Simple Green. I use an "acid" brush to get between the folds and loosen anything there. After soaking it and moving it up and down through the water several times, I'll take it out and rinse it, then set it aside to dry. I keep a couple around, so I always have a clean and dry one. Been doing that for years (and about 60,000 miles or more). Seems to work fine. It certainly lets less dirt particles through than a new K&N filter would.

Chris

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will add, after reading the tips on ths forum, i've never had any problems whatever getting the regular filter off and on.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Set the rear suspension on it's softest setting and try with it on the side stand or better still with
someone holding to scoot and pressing on the rear this makes the engine pivot and gives a little more room
hold the filter up in the lid part.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Ralph M said:
Set the rear suspension on it's softest setting and try with it on the side stand or better still with
someone holding to scoot and pressing on the rear this makes the engine pivot and gives a little more room
+1.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I feel your pain...I broke a tab on the air box trying in vain to get my KN in there. what a cluster FK ! changing an air filter should be no harder than checking the air in your tires....as it is, it took me longer to get the airbox back together than it did to change out my rear tire myself !

·
I'm Retired
9,371 Posts
Ralph M said:
I think you forgot to include how the moon has to be full and that you have to touch your nose three times with one foot in the air while hopping in a circle. :roll:

tbrow58 said:
I will add, after reading the tips on ths forum, i've never had any problems whatever getting the regular filter off and on.
+1 I'll stick with washing my old filter and reusing it. Even if the material should deteriorate over time (and it hasn't in 75,000 miles of swapping several through that process), it still would filter more than a K&N filter.

Chris

·
Registered
748 Posts
Great news! :evil: I just bought a K&N for my 2012-400. I can hardly wait to blow my stack with this project :roll: .
If I remember right from another post, you no longer use the snorkel, right?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Didn't like to mention baring your chest and standing on one leg.

:D :D

Reactions: kincaid

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am glad i read this because i bought a used 2008 an400 and noticed the air filter cover loose on the back three tab side. I just thought the previous owner did not put it back right and now I know its because of a poorly designed K&N filter he replaced the original with. I was going to snap the tabs with a screw driver trying to fit the cover on. Luckily my burgman buddy said hold off till tomorrow and check the forum tonight!

·
Registered
748 Posts
I installed mine tonight. I took the lip off the backside with a bench grinder, problem solved. I just don't like plastic on plastic for sealing, so I smeared a little grease around the outside edges.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I called K&N and they sent me a new filter after I complained. Guess what???? The new one does not fit either. Now they offered to refund half my money for the first one after i send them back the original and the new one. Thats fine! but what a pain. Now my 08 an400 is stalling as i give it a little throttle upon take off! WTF
I think its because i have been riding it with the back of the cover un latched and dirt is now entering the carb or because it is not a sealed air box? Someone typed how they bench grinded the back edge of the filter and it fit easier. I might try that, what a pain in the butt though! Any thoughts????

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mike337 said:
I installed mine tonight. I took the lip off the backside with a bench grinder, problem solved. I just don't like plastic on plastic for sealing, so I smeared a little grease around the outside edges.
I had thought about filing down the edge as well since there is just not enough clearance for the tabs, but then I noticed the K&N filter is for a k7 400 & mine is a k8 so maybe the specs of the scooter changed just enough to make it not fit. In the end I just went back to the stock filter. :?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Yes, that lip came off real quick and easy and it seems to fit well now. I did put one long piece of foam tape on the side I ground off, but I don't know that I needed too?
It's sooo close to fitting, but you just can't quite get the tabs to slide in.
On another note, I rode 150 miles today and It didn't sound one bit louder, or any more intake noise. :thumbup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mike, did you trim off the back lip that fits into the top cover or the lip that seats into the air box? Would you have done anything different? Thanks!

·
Registered
748 Posts
You're going to have to give me a little time, maybe tomorrow, because I don't remember what side I ground off. I'm thinking bottom rear?
I'll let you know very soon.

·
I'm Retired
9,371 Posts
Hmmm....I wonder why Suzuki's engineers get paid so much money to design an air filter with three little tabs designed to hold the rear of the air filter cover on tight...when we can make it fit loosely...and then try to find ways to keep dirt out. :roll:

Guys, would you not be better off to figure out what you're doing wrong, than to go down this road??? Yes, it was hard for me too, but I figured out what I was doing wrong. It will work.

Chris

1 - 20 of 25 Posts