Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to buy the K&N air filter because I found a nice price tag at http://4wheelonline.com. Just wondering if you guys experienced any performance gain using this air filter vs the stock. I know one advantage of K&N is being washable/reusable. Are there other advantages of K&N filter? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Well, I have one in mine, and I personally love it. In AZ theres a lot of dust, so being able to clean it helps. It also helped mpg the slightest amount. But, I just checked the link you provided, and their price isn’t the best. I paid a lot less for mine. Check ebay. I got a new one really cheap.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Pros - in general less expensive than OEM, reusable, freer breathing. Does not use the snorkel associated with later model Burgmen.

Cons - can be a really tight fit. It depends on your scooter's idiosyncrasies just how tight a fit it is. Freer breathing may imply less filtering. Does not use the snorkel associated with later model Burgmen.

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
If you are talking 400 the OEM filter is also washable. Search on this site & you will see . I put 46k+ on my 07 400 and washed the filter with no problems. ;)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
If by performance gain you mean more horsepower and torque - no airfilter alone will give that{unless the stock filter was heavily restrictive - rare}. I upgrade my filters for better filtration of the fine dust that flies through the air here every time it blows. When I do my first service I am going to custom fit UNI filter foam.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info , guys! Will check ebay for the best deal on K&n. Just curious here, what type of foam are you using?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
^^^ I would much rather run a foam filter then my K&N. Let me know what you come up with.
UNI filter has foam filter in sheets. My plan is to cut and fit one. I have not been into the airbox yet but from the photos and manual it looks like it will be fairly straight forward.

I started using UNI filter after some dirt bikers I know told me about them. At the time I was running a lawn care business and was tired of the paper or poor quality foam filters that lawn equipment have.

http://www.unifilter.com/accessories/
I normally use the 60PPI foam.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
The foam filter idea looks intriguing. The OEM can be washed without destroying the filter mechanically but one member that seems to have some street cred talked about damaging the structure of the media in subtle ways.

Regarding the aforementioned foam filter, do you use multiple layers to build up thickness? Mount it in a frame? Treat it with oil? I'm curious about the specifics of using this type of filter in this application. Any explanation would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
I got the uni filter foam sheet which is enough to make at least three replacement filters. I think it was under $15. I got the green one which is thicker than the black. Just used one layer. I cut out the paper from the oem, used a dremel to trim excess plastic then trimmed the foam to fit. The uni filter does use oil, there is a video on their web site, it is pretty basic.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Regarding the aforementioned foam filter, do you use multiple layers to build up thickness? Mount it in a frame? Treat it with oil?
You shouldn't need multiple layers and if you feel you must UNI has a combo foam of 40/60PPI. Some of my dirt bike rider friends use that type. The 40 stops big stuff and the 60 stops the finer. Of coarse they clean and re-oil after each day of use.

It might need to be mounted in a frame?? Having not done it yet on my Burg I can't say for sure. Most of the ones I have done were smaller and I was able to do it without a frame. The few times i did have to fit a frame I simply cut out the old paper element of the original and glued the foam onto that using Shoe Goo type glue.

Yes UNI filters are wet type and need to be oiled. I never bought their expensive oil however. I just use whatever oil the engine uses. Soak the filter in the oil and then squeeze 99% of it out. To clean the filters I first spray them with carb cleaner. If they still look dirty I would soak them in a solution of dish soap and hot water, then allow to fully dry before re-oiling. I have never had to use the soap method on vehicle filters, just on lawnmowers/trimmers because they get super dirty.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I ran a normally-aspirated Porsche 944 at the old Bridgehampton track. I normally ran the full distance from turns 4 and 5 in third gear. Then I put in a K&N filter. That's all I did. I hit the redline in third and had to upshift to fourth in that same spot. I use K&N in everything now.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
I've used a BMC filter (basically a ripoff of the K&N) on my 650 for a few years now. You do NOT get a HP or performance boost. You have to open the back end of the engine if you want to get any boost going in the front end. As I tend to clean my filter twice a year, I've saved a bundle over the initial $50 cost and the cost of a couple of recharge kits.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Using BMC air filter for several year now, clean + oil 2 time per year, as it will outlast many many OEM air filter it is significant $$ saving over time.

BMC supply Ferrari, Cosworth racing engine, etc., but unfortunately not add perceivable xtra hp to 650 Burgie.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts