Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, less than 1,000 miles ago, installed. OEM was really dirty at about 14,000 miles----even if I washed it and kept bike in daily service, I would have had to buy OEM filter. I have washed non-washable filters in past with minor success.

So with dealers not stocking service parts for Burgman 400---in near same price range I ordered K&N from Dennis Kirk. Past experience K&N good stuff, for the 30,000 more or so miles I will keep Burgman---K&N good solution---just put in and forget. Maybe!

NOW REASON FOR POST: STOCK bURGMAN 400 AIR BOX kinda bad design---2 bolts holding top on when 4 would have worked better. I installed filter, rode under 1,000 miles, noticed lots of air intake noise.

TODAY: bike prep for long weekend ride in VA/WV decided to look at my installation and the filter in general==two pieces of air box and filter had not mated properly (this misfit was source of elevated intake noise) Had to take ruff body file to one edge of filter and file off/down two tabs that were molded in----Got nice fit, snap in this time. ADDED: Loctite and spring washers to make sure screw/bolt stayed put. Intake noise way down.

MY CONCLUSION: once again Cheap Charley approach, cost me extra time to get stuff to fit---just buy OEM FRESH FILTER that would snap right in probably better route to go.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Pouring hot water on the hard plastic surround on the k&N helps,
and a little shirt to block crap from the back wheel getting into
the air intake helps keep the filters clean in the first place.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=57916

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
John...I'm shocked. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I thought you liked to keep your bikes fitted with OEM parts. ;)

Chris

·
Registered
134 Posts
K&N use a surprisingly rigid plastic for this model filter- not sure why. The one I had in my cars were much more flexible. I posted in another thread I bought my filter from amazon and RETURNED it free of charge listing it as defective as it was not going to fit- it looked warped... didn't notice till I tried to install it 2 different times thinking it was me doing something wrong. The next K&N fit like a glove and Amazon shipped it to me before the 1st got back to them!. Mind you that airbox is a pain regardless- but I got it in and bolted down in less than 5min.

The filter is a bit louder but only marginally so if you have it closed up correctly.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got back from 700 mile plus ride with K & N filter----80mph freeway (buffeting sucks), back roads, mountain roads (VA hwy 16)---my take from similar with stock filter about 2mpg better average as per readout on dash, from usual about 60 mpg overall similar riding to 62 mpg plus a little---use only cheapest gas.

To answer question on why not OEM---when neighborhood Suzuki Dealer (also selling dealer) tries to screw me on parts by bumping suggested retail--I find other sources. And then he doesn't have one in stock---and makes big deal (extra charge) for ordering=no thanks. I support the mc industry but I am not idiot.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
That's why I order consumable parts online earlier than needed. And I wash my air filter and reuse it. I'll never have to order another. :)

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts