Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past few years I have been flip flopping between Burgman 400's and Triumph Bonnevilles having had 5 of each. Currently running a Bonneville which I love but the call of the Burgman is beckoning once more. Before someone chips in "have both" I have been down that route and the Bonneville stood idle so that answers my own question. I have been hanging on for a 400 update but looking at it I can't really see where they could go with it as it's pretty spot on now. One question, has anyone with 2012/13/14 models had any clutch issues. My 2010 had a grabber and it was pretty bad but dealer says it is no longer an issue.

Geoff.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
OEM clutch just requires more attention since it tends to glaze in the course of time and mileage. The lighter load, the less maintenance will be needed. As far as i know no changes to the clutch were made in those years.

·
Registered
65 Posts
One of the problems with the clutch is that the pads sometimes develop a glazing on them. This is caused by too much clutch slipping from slow and easy take offs from a stop. The best way to avoid this from happening is to rev the motor up from a stop so that the pads lock up so to speak and then adjust your speed. The slow take offs and low revs from a stop cause the pads to get too hot due to slipping before locking up and grabbing the bell.
This is not my idea but I have used this method of starting from stop and it seems to work very well.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Now i remember i read macamxthe1st post about the judder issue when i was just running in the same model year 400. I had to face the same problem later, but it proved not that hard to deal with, although an unscheduled clutch service may be required.

I have yet to test the aftermarket solution for that, thou i've little doubts that it would work as advertised.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may be blowing this out of proportion but out of the 5 Burgmans that I have owned 2 have had clutch problems. One was only slght but unfortunately tne best bike, a 2010 ZALO had a really bad grabbing clutch. I had not been to gentle from new and the dealer had a couple of goes but zll to no avail hence my caution regarding buying another.

Geoff.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I can suggest trying another dealer or doing the job yourself. Just need to take off the bell, and if the shoes are glazed it's 99% the culprit.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Tried a few fixes for the clutch though mine was never bad, easing the leading
edges of the linings as helped like you would on brake shoes to stop them grabbing and simply parking the scooter on it's side stand as had a marked effect
on how smooth it takes off, can only think it allows and dust to settle away from the swept aria of the drum.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Since I just took all that stuff apart, I can say, it's not hard and doesn't take too much time to de-glaze the clutch. Yes, it does take time, but not more than a couple of hours.
Now, having said that, I have to say the first time I did it, I couldn't get the cover off. So, next time, I had to use the two bolt method. It worked.
Second time around, no problem.
You do need some way of torqueing the cvt back to specs.
I can also say, you should take everything off (cvt and clutcth), blow everything out and re-install.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Give the 650 a try. It doesn't have the clutch problems the 400 has.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
But be sure to reserve a couple of grands for tranny instead

1 - 10 of 10 Posts