Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope you 650 guys do not mind this 400 guy to repost a post I just entered on the 400 forum..
[Edit by moderator...no they don't mind, but duplicate posts are not allowed...so moved this post to the General area and removed the duplicate.]

Just Test Rode the BMW GT Scooter
by Deegee » Fri Oct 26, 2012 20:43 20

Hi all
Just test drove the new BMW Scooter. I am a Burgman 400 owner with over 60,000 miles riding experience on a 2008 Burgie. I understand it is not fair to compare a 650 against the 400 Burgie, however I will... Okay I will cut to the chase'

Positive

All the pictures I have seen make the scooter to me look a little bigger then the 400. In the flesh it is more bigger then I thought/ substantial
Suspension far more sophisticated then the Burgie. The suspension it like nothing I have experienced. Almost like a car suspension..
Obviously more pick up then the Burgie Nice pick up and smooth transmission. Revs seemed a little high...
Has a more modern design. However I prefer the smoother lines of the Burgie

Negatives

Much higher seat then the Burgie. I have long legs 34inch inseam. Shorter legs will not be able to flat foot it. Due to the higher center of gravity
doesnot seem as flickable as the Burgie.
Movable windshield even at its highest seemed very low.
Plastic dash seemed a little cheap
The side mirrors although looked cool due to them being on pillars they were shaking a lot.... not good
The grips have a small diameter...not comfortable

Bottom line. When I road the Silverwing, the Burgman 650, and now the BMW GT 650.. they all make appreciate and like the Burgman 400 even more... none of them have ever made me want to replace her. The burgie is just easy, everything about it is easy and simple.... lower to ground lighter etc.. Love my Burgie

And thats the way it was... Doug from MA

·
Registered
739 Posts
Hey.. I'mfromBoston area.. ! Where did you ride that BMW?

I am guessing Boston Motorsports in Arlington since you are in Newton..

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Deegee said:
..... they all make appreciate and like the Burgman 400 even more... none of them have ever made me want to replace her. The burgie is just easy, everything about it is easy and simple.... lower to ground lighter etc.. Love my Burgie...
Thanks for the quick review. The rest of us will be envying you for getting the test ride. I noticed in one of the recent videos where a Burgman 650 was also in the video, that the BMW actually looked more lardy. That surprised me.

Isn't it a good feeling when you get on your own bike and ride away...knowing you have the better ride? :)

Chris

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
The only other ride currently out there that has tempted me is the Yamaha Tmax.
Not enough to trade my 400 in though. :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks for the review.

I expected the suspension to be a big advantage for the BMW.

I am surprised and disappointed to hear about the less than ideal windshield and mirrors.

Looks like both Burgies just might hold on to their top position in the scooter world.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Noth said:
Hey.. I'mfromBoston area.. ! Where did you ride that BMW?

I am guessing Boston Motorsports in Arlington since you are in Newton..
Wagners BMW worcester

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
blackcat54 said:
Looks like both Burgies just might hold on to their top position in the scooter world.
That's only if Zuki won't touch anything :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
Scootereno said:
The only other ride currently out there that has tempted me is the Yamaha Tmax.
Not enough to trade my 400 in though. :D
Ride Now in Phoenix is having a demo day at Firebird Raceway. Gonna try a T-Max, Burgie 650, the latest 400, and maybe a CAN-AM. Make a day of it.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I consider the GT a comparable ride to the 650 Exec and the price looks the same in Canada ( I've ridden both BMWs - the sport is a joke but the GT pretty sweet. ).

BUT - not for tall riders as the seating it too tight and no adjustment. Handles well, lots of acceleration - better seat latch, same storage underneath tho not as well shaped. Prefer the Burgman up front.
Windshield is excellent.
But I'd wait a year or two.

·
Registered
363 Posts
On Friday a friend I ride with purchased the BMW GT when I was with him. The one he purchased was black and looked smaller than my 650 executive. After he rode for a while he was kind enough to switch bikes with me so I had my first ride on the BMW. My observations from my brief ride was I felt as I was sitting higher and sitting on the bike instead of sitting in the bike as I do on my Burg. Heated grips were on and is a nice feature that I would like on the Burg. Pickup was good but do not think the bike downshifts when slowing down like the Burg which I prefer. With no offense intended towards my friend new BMW I did not care for the engine sound at idle when I compared it to mine. I think it is a fine bike but I will stay Burgman and I hope they bring the 2013 to the states.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Interesting point - I don't recall noticing the engine braking either but I find the Burgman a tad aggressive in that regard at slower speeds and I seem to recall the BMW was more polite. I would ride the GT as an alternative but for now the Exec does a fine job even at 38 in wind and rain today it was a secure ride and with the Clearview - very well protected.
Would love to hear more from your friend - invite him to post.

·
Registered
52 Posts
blackcat54 said:
Thanks for the review.

I am surprised and disappointed to hear about the less than ideal windshield and mirrors.

Not that I have any experience on the BMW yet, but remember that what you read is just one persons opinion. The only way to tell if the machine is going to suit to you is to ride it yourself. Relying solely on someone elses words [strike:1hrm3bzl]is not the best path to follow[/strike:1hrm3bzl] the worst way to test a bike.

You would be very wise to ride both Burgmans and both BMWs before discounting any of them.

JC

·
Registered
52 Posts
MacDoc said:
BUT - not for tall riders as the seating it too tight and no adjustment.
The seat is adjustable. Three screws have to removed and there are three positions the rear bolster can be placed in. It's not a quick, but it can be done.

JC

·
Registered
163 Posts
Croxford said:
blackcat54 said:
Thanks for the review.

Not that I have any experience on the BMW yet, but remember that what you read is just one persons opinion. The only way to tell if the machine is going to suit to you is to ride it yourself. Relying solely on someone elses words [strike:1vlzoejc]is not the best path to follow[/strike:1vlzoejc] the worst way to test a bike.

You would be very wise to ride both Burgmans and both BMWs before discounting any of them.

JC
Unfortunately where I live (NYC/LI) dealers do not offer test rides due to insurance issues.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I'm interested in how the crude mechanical CVT adjusts to various riding situations.

For instance, what are the cruising RPM's at 55 MPH, and where do the rpm's jump to when janking the throttle open at that speed?

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
I like it:

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html

Engine
Type 2-cylinder 4-stroke liquid-cooled engine, 4 valves per cylinder
Bore x stroke 79 mm x 66 mm
Capacity 647 cc
Rated output 44 kW (60 hp) at 7,500 rpm
Max. torque 49 lb/ft (66 Nm) at 6,000 rpm
Compression ratio 11,6 : 1
Mixture control / engine management BMS-E digital engine management
Emission control Closed-loop 3-way catalytic converter, emission standard EU-4
Performance / fuel consumption
Maximum speed 109 mph
Fuel consumption per 100 km at constant 90 km/h 4.4 l (53 mpg at 56 mph)
Fuel consumption per 100 km at constant 120 km/h 5.6 l (42 mpg at 75 mph)
Fuel type Premium unleaded
Electrical system
Alternator Three-phase generator 588 W
Battery 12 V / 12 Ah, maintenance-free
Power transmission
Clutch Centrifugal clutch
Gearbox CVT gearbox
Drive Chain drive in oil bath
Chassis / brakes
Frame Steel tube construction with aluminum die cast unit
Front wheel location / suspension Upside-down fork Ø 40 mm
Rear wheel location / suspension Single-sided swing arm
Suspension travel front / rear 4.5/4.5 inches (115 mm/115 mm)
Wheelbase 62.6 inches (1,591 mm)
Castor 3.6 inches (92 mm)
Steering head angle 64,6°
Wheels Aluminum cast wheels
Rim, front 3,50 x 15"
Rim, rear 4,50 x 15"
Tyres, front 120/70 ZR 15
Tyres, rear 160/60 ZR 15

Brake, front Two-rotor disc brake, diameter 10.6 inches (270 mm), 2-piston floating caliper
Brake, rear Single disc brake, diameter 10.6 inches (270 mm), 2-piston floating caliper
ABS Standard: BMW Motorrad ABS
Dimensions / weights
Length 87.3 inches (2,218 mm)
Width (incl. mirrors) 36.1 inches (916 mm)
Height (excl. mirrors) 55.6 inches (1,411 mm)
Seat height, unladen weight 31.3 inches (795 mm)
Inner leg curve, unladen weight 69.7 inches (1,770 mm)
Unladen weight, road ready, fully fuelled 575 lbs (261 kg)
Dry weight 549 lbs (249 kg)

Permitted total weight 981 lbs (445 kg)
Payload (with standard equipment) 406 lbs (184 kg)
Usable tank volume 4.2 gallons (16 liters)
Reserve Approx. 1 gallon (4 liters)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
ErikDK said:
I'm interested in how the crude mechanical CVT adjusts to various riding situations.

For instance, what are the cruising RPM's at 55 MPH, and where do the rpm's jump to when janking the throttle open at that speed?
Erik, there is nothing crude about the BMW CVT at all. That's from the mouth of a very experienced Burgman 650 rider I know well and who covered over 100 miles on the new GT version of the BMW a couple of weeks ago. He is sticking with his Burgman 650 though, even though he liked the BMW. The cost of the BMW over here is prohibitive for many. I still haven't ridden it myself and thats the only way to be sure of course. But the BMW has a very good trouble free, uncomplicated standard CVT from what he tells me and it works well. Very smooth and responsive and not hindered by a load of unnecessary electronics. Incidentally, I'm a Burgie 650 fan myself and have ridden many of them, but the tranny on the 650 Burger is not to my taste, although it's not a deal breaker for me. I am likely to buy one soon when the 2013 gets here. I've already got a test ride booked. It's just a lot of complication for little gain in my book. Recently, I observed the replacement of a drive belt on one, it was the most horrendous job I've ever seen and I've teched on cars and bikes for 3 decades. By todays standards it's a poor design and if Suzi were to do it all again they would without doubt do it differently. Everything today is about ease of use and serviceability. Others may disagree but that's just my take on it.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Three BMW riders and I have an appointment (90 miles away) to test the BMW scooters this Thursday. The one who also has a Burgman 650 is the one pushing the group to do a test ride. Since we range from 65 (me) to 78, scooter time is approaching for several. I will give it a test ride but I'm not in the market since I just bought a 400 and I can keep my big BMW for long trips since is has cruise, CD, bags and a lot of other stuff made for the open road.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
The seat is adjustable. Three screws have to removed and there are three positions the rear bolster can be placed in. It's not a quick, but it can be done.
That's good news for taller riders - it fit me fine so one hopes that was a middle position.

As for the CVT being crude - it seemed fine on both test rides I took and while I would prefer a dual range set up like the Exec Burgman has the CT moves very quickly and smoothly -
Chasing a BMW 1300 it had no issue keeping pace from the get go up to 65 or so ( ride speed limit ).
The screen on the CT is superb.
On the Sport a joke.

Couple years out if it's reliable this is a serious challenge to the 650 Burgman.
I do not think the Sport will do well. bmw farkles are expensive tho so that might be an issue tho the CT is very useable is it is.
If one comes up in the $7k range in a couple of years I might consider it for Australia. Time will tell.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts