Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just priced the 600 mile service at a different dealer than I purchased bike from and they quoted 90.00. I could not believe my ears. I asked if that included valve adj. and he said no. Do I need the valves adjusted on the 400 burgie and 600 miles? So of the posts I have been reading people are getting quoted 300.00 plus. CRAZY

·
Super Moderator
18,084 Posts
They do need to be checked, that can take several hours.

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
Mark,

The first service on my 400 cost just over $220. $175 (3.5 hours at $50 per hour) was for the checking / adjusting the valves.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
While Jim is right, there is the theory that 600 miles is to soon for an adjustment and you should be able to hear if they need it
--I would think with a mechanics stethoscope-
I did mine at 1500 miles and it was still "spot on".
If your the kind to worry I would ask how much extra the dealer wants. :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had quotes from 150-200-250. I went to see the 150 dealer and he said, no need for valve check at 600. OK I said, what's worth 150 if you don't check the valves? OOPS. He said Suzuki agrees and later on(?) we can check it.
I have decided to change the oil myself and listen carefully. Probably will bring it to a dealer at 1500-2000 miles. Hope I'm not making a big mistake. 8)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
This "listen to the valves" idea is not really going to work. The problem is that you can only hear a loose valve - you cannot hear a tight valve. And a tight valve is more of a problem that a loose valve. Properly adjusted valves also will make some amount of noise if you "listen closely".

When a good mechanic adjusts valves, he sets them to the loose side of the acceptable tolerance - because they will tighten as time goes on. So they will "tick" a bit when properly adjusted.

You've either got to do the valve check - or postpone it to the next service. It is a decision. And from what I've read here, you are probably OK with postponing it unless they weren't properly set up at the factory. But ears are not a viable substitute for feeler gauges.

I've had this drummed into me by several good motorcycle mechanics.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Your probably right. I will do it at a service in the 1500-2000 range. But, before I do anything, I will call the dealers and ask what a "valve check and set" costs. It's not lack of confidence in the service dept, it's a lack of trust in the pricing policies of the dealers, I belive they are "gouging" us. :x

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have just completed a valve checkup on my bike. According to the manual you have to strip off just about everything. Check the photo pages out under "Valve job". BTW, after 11,000 miles they were all perfectly in spec! But at least, now I know!

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
239 Posts
Incidentally, according to the manual, the first tappet clearance check is at 14500 miles. I doubt if I will ever check mine again.

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
793 Posts
First service AN400 valve tappets are always loose when they need
adjustment.

Especially after a hard and fast ride, you will hear the clackity clack
before the first service is done.
Don't freak out. They're supposed to do that before you open the
machine up for the first time. Let it do that for a couple hundred miles
after that if you want.

The only other indication that your 400's tappets need a tweak is that
the engine will have plenty of Get Up And Go when you first start it.
But, try to pass a car like you had when it had 200 miles on it And
the waiting game starts. Occasional surges of power will be evident but
only high octane gasoline will move the bike any quicker until the AN400's valves
are serviced for the first time.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
The 650, of course, is a different ball game when it comes to valve adjustment, but since this thread is in the General Discussion forum and not the Burgman 400 forum here's what my first service ran:

$136.00 for 2 Hours labor @ $68/Hr
$10.95 for engine oil filter
$8.99 for 3.1 qts of Honda GN4 10W40 oil
$0.27 for a 14mm washer
$6.80 for "supplies" (not sure what that means. Hopefully the small quantities of tranny and final gear oil would be included. If not, they may have forgot to change those items)
$13.53 Washington State Sales Tax

Total: $176.54.

The Service Report I was given listed the following services rendered:

Tighten exhaust pipe bolts and muffler bolts
Tighten chassis bolts and nuts
Replace engine oil
Replace engine oil filter
Replace transmission oil
Replace final gear oil
Inspect/Adjust idle speed
Inspect/Adjust throttle cable play
Inspect radiator hose
Inspect steering

All in all I think it was a fair price for services rendered.

·
Registered
22 Posts
BurgerBob,

The service manager at NW BMW/Ducati/Suzuki said the same thing -- that the valves don't get checked/adjusted until 14.5k miles. If Suzuki says they don't need adjustment or inspection until then, I'm fine with it -- after all, the manufacturer SHOULD know best, right?

PWB

1 - 13 of 13 Posts