Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my first post with a quick question.

Picked up an 2005 400 from a local Suzuki dealer. The bike only had 1150 miles on it. It is incredibly clean!

I'm getting ready to embark on a 3000 mile trip. I will be getting new tires (still has the originals!), doing an oil and filter change, probably a coolant change, maybe a brake fluid change as well.

My question is this: Should I just go ahead and replace the CVT belt, just because of the age? Also, other than the oil aspiration issue, anything else I should check into before I head out on this trip?

Thanks guys, glad to be here!

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I doubt there are any problems with the belt. To ease your mind, pull the CVT cover off and inspect it for cracking. If none is found then you are good. I would do the coolant and brake fluid change.

As you are aware of the aspiration issue you know to keep a check on the oil level. I would check it at least once a day while you are on your trip.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I agree with Buffalo ... the belt should be fine.

Re: the tires, I'd be inclined to inspect the tires and if they are in good shape (i.e. obviously weather checked or ozone affected) keep them ... at least as back-ups in a pinch.

I say this because if the bike was stored indoors, out of direct light and under cover, the tires are more than likely OK. I know there are some that would say after 5 years they should be automatically switched out ... but I give this one a cautionary "depends".

Enjoy your new ride and welcome to the site! ~ Suziblu ~

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Welcome!

I too am getting a good used Burgman 400. Mine is a 2006 with just under 600 miles on it. I am buying mine from a friend. Bad thing is he went on a birding trip in Alaska and I have to wait until he returns. :(

The dealer should have done a full service on it including fluid change. If they didn't change the coolant that would be a for sure. The brake fluid might be OK, look at it in the window. It should be clear with a slight yellow color to it. If it is brown or milky then it needs to be replaced. Of coarse you can just be on the safe side and replace it.

I had the same question about the belt on mine and every body here said it should be fine. I did a little research and the belt on these larger scooters are made a lot better than the ones on smaller scoots. Using a 9 year old belt on a 50-125 scoot would be asking for trouble. Of coarse to put your mind at ease, take the CVT cover off and take a look. A bad belt is pretty obvious.

·
Registered
151 Posts
All good advice so far. Maybe add a valve check/adjustment to the list.

I'd add check the battery or when was the last time it was replaced? Plus, get a tire repair kit, zip-ties, duct tape, etc to carry with your tools under the seat for your 3,000 mile trip.

For comfort on your trip the Air Hawk seat will help (at least it worked for me) and adding a rear trunk and hump bag will double your storage space.

To ease your mind on the CVT belt here's my personal experience. I purchased a 2004 Burgman 400 in December 2013 with 13,000 miles and did a major maintenance schedule this winter myself (antifreeze, oil, brake fluid changes. Valve adj, new tires, new plug, etc). However, the CVT belt was within specs and the bike now has over 16,000 miles (monthly 800 mile round trips). I will be changing this out in the next few weeks just for peace of mind :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice guys!

I'd actually thought about the battery after my initial post. This trip will mostly be through the Southwest, and figured that I ought to go ahead and swap the battery out anyway too.

I do believe they did a fluid change, I'll contact the dealer to get specifics.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I also have a 05 400 and they are great bikes! Personally, I would not worry about the tires until I got back from the trip. Highway miles are the easiest miles on tires and they should last much longer than that. Remember, the original tires will last longer than any tire that goes on the bike later. If you are over 5'8", a taller shield is nice on a trip to cut down on wind buffeting. Get either a throttle lock or a throttle rocker, you will thank me when you get back. Last but not least, secondary roads are the 400's friend, the 650 is the highway cruiser.

I have 48,000 miles on my 400 and it still has the original rollers and belt (within spec) on it. I get 15,000 miles on a rear tire and I am on the second tire on the front (Run at max pressure). I have had no problems with the bike and expect none. The 400 Burgman is well built, treat it right and it will do the same.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
This trip will mostly be through the Southwest,
Where all you visiting?

Be sure you bring a little water for yourself and for the scoot too, just in case. I had a radiator hose bust on the way home one time, in the middle of no where. I had to tape the hose back and used every drop of liquid I had, cokes, ice everything in the car. Not fun but I got it home. Luckily a Burgman doesn't need as much coolant as a v6 car does!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The trip will be about 3100 miles, leaving Dallas heading thru Southern NM, into AZ, then up to Las Vegas. Camp out there for 2 days, then return thru Utah, Colorado, then northern NM, then home. Maybe only 10% of the trip will be interstate.

I will definitely be loaded up with water for myself, I've dealt with lack of hydration on a previous trip, and vowed never to let that happen again.

So the consensus is that the belt is fine, and that is a relief. As the tires are the original OEM Bridgestone Hoop (date code is 49th week of 04), perhaps I'll just replace the rear.

·
Registered
317 Posts
For peace of mind, I would replace the tires. Old rubber on a hot road for miles and miles can be trouble and it may be hard to get a replacement out on the road. I bought an 05 400 with thirteen thousand miles on it in the fall , and love it!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Let us know how the trip goes and how the bike performs. I would like to take a trip this summer and wnat to know your experiences.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts