Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
20,198 Posts
OK now.....

Just get ready for a hard time getting it mounted. I do hope you have read up on the mounting issues.

After you get it on the back then please go out to a quite parking lot and ride it around some. Practice cornering. Practice braking. Then practice braking in a corner.

Do NOT ride on a partial mounted tire like a few mwmbers have done. The chances of it blowing the partial bead open is greater than it will seat at 70 MPH.

Reactions: RollingStone

·
Premium Member
12,684 Posts
seriously, make sure the rim is clean and smooth, the tire is hot and the wheel is cold, if you go to a bike shop to have it mounted, tell them it is for a trike, lots won't do it for a bike but will for a trike

·
Administrator
20,198 Posts
Huh.."Achilles"..not sure how I'd feel about that being on the heel of my bike.
ME TOO!!!

Oh wait, I have 15,000 miles on a Achilles tire. ;)

Reactions: RollingStone

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank your for all the input. I have about 1,500 miles left on my rear City Grip. I'll burn through it before I mount the achilles. The car tire cost $35.00. I picked up a static balancer today for $32.00. It's looking like $67.00 will get me 15 to 20k on the rear. A new City Grip 2 sells for $97.00. I am on my 3rd rear tire. They have all been toast by 7,000.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've run some 35,000Km on Achilles on my Yamaha Majesty. Replaced it just because it was old. I liked it a lot because it was a winter tire and had a symmetrical thread pattern. Can't be able to find it any more, especially not delivered to Canada.

What is the size of yours and where did you buy it?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
A warm tire and some WD-40 works for my tire-mounting escapades

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
So the choices for a 13-inch tire seem limited. (my 77 Rabbit used 155 SR-13 tires. Wow)
I might try the Darkside when the rear Michelin wears out, this summer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry the delay in reply. I didn't realize this post was active. I made an offer of $35 on Ebay for ACHILLES 122 155 70 13 75T MAF157013. It was accepted. It is not a symmetrical tread design. That doesn't bother me too much. I've been mounting my own tires for the last 8 years. I've done a number of car tires for myself as well. I have some tricks for sitting the bead. Once I mount it, I'll post an upate with pictures. I've worked on a number of Majesty 400s over the years, a great scooter. When I was looking to go bigger, I would have took either. It just happens that a good deal came along on the Burgman first. I did a belt an rollers on a Majesty a while back that had 15,000 miles on it. The pulley faces all still looked new. can't say the same about the Burgman 400s I've worked on with the same miles. I haven't heard much about clutch shudder problems on the majesty either. Achilles MAF157013 for sale online | eBay

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry the delay in reply. I didn't realize this post was active. I made an offer of $35 on Ebay for ACHILLES 122 155 70 13 75T MAF157013. ... Achilles MAF157013 for sale online | eBay
Thanks for the details, much appreciated. Please let us know how it turns out.

As for mounting, I cleaned the rims with kerosene and then polished the tire mating surface with a buffing wheel. My mechanic commented that the tire went on as easily as the motorcycle one.

Majesty served me very well - I toured on it quite a bit and found it equally comfortable on the highway and on unpaved roads. However, it was a little too maintenance intensive and not powerful enough for two-up riding. Burgman is a class above in almost every respect, although I still find Majesty more planted at highway speeds for some reason.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts