Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from work. I ride 47 miles one way. The new windshield is an absolute must for tall drivers. I still need to use my face shield on the highway. In town its so quiet and peacefull without the wind noise.

I also just broke the 500 mile mark...Whooo Hooooo I can open her up some more.

If I really needed to get totally away from the wind or rain. I can lower my head behind the windshield if necessary.

Best $121 ive spent so far.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm still waiting on mine. The wind noise and buffeting is so bad even with ear plugs that I don't want to ride the BK over 45 mph. I sure hope I am as happy with it as you are. If not, I'll stick a laminar lip on the Givi, but only if Covert says if it's any good. :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Givi Windscreen

Just received and installed my Givi on 9-27-03. The difference is amazing.
It is almost eerily silent compared to the stock screen. I only get noise now from wind gusts or passing trucks. It works extremely well and riding into work at 39 degrees the screen gives more protection especially in the hand area with the extensions at the bottom of the screen. Good quality and probably well worth the money. Much better than the money I wasted on the SAENG wind strips. I am 5' 11" so a taller person might still get some noise.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Windshield

:D Just got back to Charleston, SC from Charlotte, NC. Had the GIVI windshield installed at the US Distributer. It's on the verge of being great! Far less noise and buffeting as well.

I've read elsewhere that some folks thought it flexed too much. I can't support that claim. I rode back from Charlotte on I-77, US 378, SC 61 and whether the trucks were coming at me or I was passing them, I found no more flex than I would have expected had I added three inches to the stock lexan. I don't think it flexes any more than the oversize screen I had on my Goldwing.

It does not eliminate all the buffeting, but it is so much reduced that I think it's a **** good bet.

At city/suburb speeds, say, up to 45 or 50, there is virtually no wind or wind noise that I can discern.

I also had them install the Model 52 Trunk in silver to match the bike and the optional break light system. Looks good and is easy to work. Will remove like a suitcase, if you want.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Lot's O' Lip

My take on a laminar lip is that once you depend on air pressure to guide the flow of air over your helmet, buffeting (instability) is increased in streering.
Cross-winds at highway speeds and gusts (from semi's) would bring new variables into the bike.

Drag inducing deflectors add resistance to steering.
Suzuki angled the stock windshield so that wind gusts and maximum speeds wouldn't detract from the Burgmans overall controllability.

I ordered the Givi tall screen today, knowing that I'll have windshield material in front of me instead of high velocity deflected pressurized air over me, using any other way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
GIVI Winshield

Installed my GIVI and I'm not as pleased as I thought I would be. The wind noise doesn't start till 35 - 40 instead of 30 - 35 as with original widshield. It is quiter, I can hear the transmission whine up to about 50 -55mph and then it gets lost in wind noise. At 70+ mph my head gets a lot of buffeting. My neck was sore last night after 6 hours of riding, my longest ride to date. So I'm not sure if its the long ride or the new windshield. There was steady pressure on helmut with old windshield. At low speeds, 0 -30, the GIVI creates a dead zone between me and the windshield. This allows engine heat to come up and it is uncomfortable. Not a good thing for us high temperature high humidity folks down south. As the cool weather approaches it should be good. Handlebar extentions keep wind (and light rain) off hands helping to stay warm. I'm keeping the old widshield because I think I'll need to put it back next spring when things get hot again. I need the additional air circulation.

·
Registered
857 Posts
questions about a shield

AJWood, GreenGoose, and anyone else - I'm 6'2" and am needing a taller windshield. The stock one is fine up to about 50 mph, but above, that, the wind buffeting is just plain nasty. I just bought my bike, and could use some advice about shields. I've read about the Laimnar Lip, but would prefer trying an extended Shield. I emailed ClearView for a quote, and found a Givi shield model D257ST for $118 plus shipping. Is this the tallest shield out there? Those people that are about my height - does the Givi do enough? Would the Givi AND the laminar lip be enough? (do I need to hunker down behind the shield if I go above 50?)

Love my new bike. I'm at about 150 miles thus far, and loving it. The wind buffeting is the only issue of importance right now.

thx for any help.
Flint in SW Phoenix.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would not go with the Givi. I heard the Clearview comes in 3 different height sizes. It all depends on whether or not you want to look over or through the screen. Looking through the screen can be dangerous under certain circumstances if it is dirty or covered in salt spray. Being in AZ I don't think it would be too much of a pblm. No ocean and few bugs if you stay away from the farm fields. To sum up. Givi is taller but head buffeting is stiil annoying. I,m 6'0.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Clearview vs Givi

I replaced my Givi with a Clearview several days ago, and I've ridden about 150 miles now with the Clearview. It is a tremendous improvement over the Givi. I am 6'6" with a 34" inseam. The Clearview comes in 3 sizes - I got the largest. It is about the same length as the Givi, but it sits up straighter, so it is effectively taller. The Clearview was $139 including shipping. It does not move back and forth as much as the Givi, and it lifts the airstream several inches higher. The Givi was awful when following a truck, SUV or any vehicle with a "dirty" airstream behind it - and there are many of those on the road. The air coming around the screen that brushes arms, shoulders & top of helmet seems much smoother with the Clearview. I love my Givi E52 trunk, but the Givi windshield was a disaster in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hey there pauljo!

Would you happend to have a web link for the clearview and How much you asking for your used Givi?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
http://www.clearviewshields.com/

They don't list the Burgman shield yet under products, but there
is a toll free number you can call. The guy there is very good to talk to.

I had experimented with a SAENG Winglet on top of the Givi, and the mounts for it are still on the shield (3M tape). Supposedly they can be removed with the aid of some heat from a hair dryer. Or, I could sell the shield with the Winglet (the Winglet cost more than the Givi).

I'd consider $50 for the shield (you deal with removing the Winglet mounts) or $75 for the Givi plus the Winglet. Plus $20 to cover UPS shipping. Payment by check - I don't do PayPal. The Winglet goes for $135 from SAENG, so that's a cheap price to play with it. I'd prefer to sell them as a set, because the Winglet without the mounts isn't of much use. Anyone interested can email me off forum at [email protected].

You can see the Winglet at http://www.saeng.com/2018.htm
(Mine does not have that black tape strip across the top.)

And, yes, the Winglet did help the performance of the shield - but it still didn't work as good as the Clearview for me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Stealth Edging

I ordered 4 feet of Stealth Edging from Saeng to put on my Givi windshield. As far as wind and noise are concerned it made no difference. What was very noticable was a strong air pressure on the back of my helmet that pushed my head forward toward the windshield. It took a fair amount of strength to hold my head up upright. Stealth Edging is back in the box to be returned. Looks like I may have to invest in the Clearview. Also Stealth Edging is a lot bigger than it appears in the web site pictures. It creates a big black line in your vision that is very distracting. Don't waste your time on Stealth.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Based on the above comments, I just cancelled $126.00 Givi order and have just got off the phone with Clearview.

Clearview is going to setup a 'focus group' before committing designs into production for us.
This means that they'll take until the first few months of 2004 to ship any windshields.

If anyone would like to be a tester of the Clearview AN650 winshield, e-mail them at [email protected]
Give them Name, Address, Phone and Dates available for testing. Various sizes and shapes of windshields will go to various testers of the Focus Group.
They'll need about 8-10 AN650 riders. You may need to go to Baily, CO for testing...Maybe not. In any event, the windshield you test won't cost anything and like all product Focus Groups, make sure you are fed and paid.

Colorado Winter riding weather is not conducive to all comforts but that's part of the test.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hey ajwood thanks for the info regarding the clearview shields. Being up here in Canada pretty well rules me out as a tester in any focus group. However I did send away an email to the link just to show my interest in there product. Hopefully the more replies they receive around the globe will help them in there decision to go into production. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
857 Posts
thanks!

I sent an email for the focus group as well. It's starting to get downright cool here in Phoenix (only 70 today...ugh) so I don't know if I can wait for a focus group to get a bigger shield. Had to dig through my old ski stuff to find a neck wrap and some warmer gloves for the ride to work tomorrow.

I added one item to my Burgman - an electronic thermometer, altimeter, and compass all in one device that I got at Costco for 40$. Attaches to windshield via suction cups. The Shield vibration makes me worry it may fall off, so I may have to find another way to attach it, but so far it is nice to know what the temp is at any one time. The altimeter will be nice for those longer trips up in the White Tank mountains of Arizona, and the compass for the rare times that I get lost....!

Dream trip: Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Tetons, Yellowstone, and Glacier park. Some day...some day.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Roflol......sorry flintbobbi..but up here 70 is shorts riding weather. I just put my bike away last week as temperatures were consitently hovering around 32-35 degrees. I could ride in these temps but the deciding factor was the never ending forecast of rain. Snow soon to follow.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Very inexpensive option to new windshield.

I bought "Stealth Edging" on a recommedation from a friend. It makes a big difference and is easy to install. here's the website for anyone interested.
http://www.saeng.com/4000.htm
This stuff is a molded trim that goes around the windshield and creates a bigger air pocket. I've had it on mine for about a week and it really makes a difference. For the stock Burg windshield get 4 feet, cost was $51 + shipping and it took about 3 minutes to put it on.
jac
austin tx

·
Registered
857 Posts
cold weather wimp

Allwalk - yes, I'm a wimp. Used to feed cattle in 30 above in a t-shirt, jeans, and bare hands. Not anymore. Got used to tolerating 110 degree temps here, and now anything below 75 is jeans weather. Funny how that happens. Drove to work today in 50 degree weather. Wore sweat pants under my jeans and a neck wrap to stay warm.

Jacvinson - i've heard mixed reviews about the Stealth edging. Did you add it to the stock shield? How tall are you and what is your inseam? (to compare to my 6'2", 32 inch inseam) I like the price, but wonder if it works in the long run. Is it adjustable? I've heard of something similar that is adjustable. I think I need at least 6 inches of additional windshield on the top, and about 5 inches on the sides to protect my hands a bit more.

Also, I've seen a foreign website that shows a shield for the legs. That would be nice on occasion as well.

Wow, really sound like I can't tolerate much. Guess I've gotten to expect too much comfort - guess that happens when you can go zero to 90 without shifting.

I saw a cycle driver riding in the parking lane today when the commuter lane was full. I think that is legal in California (I think), but I don't think it is legal here in Arizona, and most other states. Anyone know of a site that indicates which states this is ok? I'm not sure i'd do it anyway. Too many stupid auto drivers that could pull over right into you without any warning. I wonder how many CA cycle drivers are killed that way...

Oh, and called ClearView Sales (Craig?) today. He said that they make four shield for the Burgman 650, but only two are in production currently - the two smaller one's. Based on my measurements, he indicated I needed the "extra- large." I didn't take offense until he told me that size is in production review - including the use of LOCAL (Colorado) focus groups for the next two months...SO, I won't be able to get a large or extra large Clearview til January. Ugh. Perhaps I will need to call Givi. Craig indicated that the larger ones had a bir more vibration than they liked, and they wanted to modify them a bit before they produced anymore of them. I think they are very customer focused, but do wish they could have something ready sooner.

Drive safe everyone.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts