Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And very nice it is too. It's smooth, quiet and handles the strong winds this time of year much better than the 400 I had.

To any 400 owners who haven't had the chance to ride the 650 do yourself a favour and try one out. :D

·
Registered
925 Posts
Even though I am a little jealous, congrats on your new 650 Lardy!! I am sure you will enjoy it alot more that the 400.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Another Lardy joins the club. Are you now a two Burger owner? Have fun on the new 650.

Janine

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Congratulations on the new Burgman 650 Andre. I'm sure you're going to have a blast riding your new 650.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. It's going to take a while for the silly grin to wear off my face. :D

Another thread just made go outside to take a look if I have a rain deflector and yup, it's there.

The engine braking is going to take me a while to get used to I think, but when moving the bike is effortless to drive. I'll leave a little early for work tomorrow and take the burgy for a blast along the motorway via a roundabout route.

I traded my 400 in for the 650 so I guess I'll have to make a new avatar now. :?

It didn't come with an owners manual so would someone mind telling me where the preload adjustment is (assuming there is one)? The dealer explained the other gadgets to me and I found the adjustment for the backrest. The bike feels more "roomy" than the 400 as far as leg room goes.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Andre said:
It didn't come with an owners manual so would someone mind telling me where the preload adjustment is (assuming there is one)?
Look at the bottom of each shock and you will see a ramp with 5 indents. Simply twist the shock to move it to the next position. I can do it with my hands, but there should be a tool in the toolkit specifically for that if you need more leverage.

It is best done when the scooter is cold. That way you don't have to worry about burning yourself on the hot muffler on the right side. Be sure you adjust each shock to the same setting.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
The tool looks like a Question Mark if you want to use that.

I turn it by hand, However, put the bike on the centerstand when doing this, it keeps the weight off the shock, and makes it a lot easier to do.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks pauljo and Jim. I was looking underneath the body for a knob to turn like on the 400.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Andre said:
Thanks all. It's going to take a while for the silly grin to wear off my face. :D
I think that you will find that THE grin is never going to wear off!!

Congradulations! :lol:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Andre said:
I traded my 400 in for the 650

It didn't come with an owners manual
Andre,

Since you purchased the 650 from a dealer you should have received an owners manual. If the 650 was used ask the dealer to get you a manual. If it was new TELL the dealer he owes you the manual. Either way get one and read it. Your pre-ride check list is covered inside along with other useful information.

Have fun on you new 650 and don't forget to give it a name.

Janine

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hey Andre

Congrats on the Lardy - the engine braking is quite something - but I like it. :)

Look forward to seeing the new avatar!

Have you looked under the seat yet - if the dealer did not hand over the manual best you check you have the tool bag, the adjustment wrench for the rear shockers and the wire strop for securing the motorcycle helmet (if anyone uses that :wink: ) - these all sit on the wee platform just aft of the battery.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JKerstinJ said:
Since you purchased the 650 from a dealer you should have received an owners manual. If the 650 was used ask the dealer to get you a manual. If it was new TELL the dealer he owes you the manual. Either way get one and read it. Your pre-ride check list is covered inside along with other useful information.

Have fun on you new 650 and don't forget to give it a name.

Janine
Janine, it's a Japanese model Skywave 650 so even if I'd gotten a manual I'd only be able to look at the pictures. :? It's second hand but only had about 840km on it. AN400's and AN650's are not sold here officially but a nearby bike dealer imports a few of them every now and then. So getting an English manual locally is pretty much impossible.

I've settled on calling it "The Silverburger" for now. :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NormanB said:
Hey Andre

Congrats on the Lardy - the engine braking is quite something - but I like it. :)
I think I'm starting to get the hang of it, but 4 years of riding the 400 has got me used to just closing the throttle and coasting.

NormanB said:
Have you looked under the seat yet - if the dealer did not hand over the manual best you check you have the tool bag, the adjustment wrench for the rear shockers and the wire strop for securing the motorcycle helmet (if anyone uses that :wink: ) - these all sit on the wee platform just aft of the battery.
Ahah, so that's what the wire strap thing is, thanks. The tool bag is there too, but I haven't opened it up to check inside yet. Cool, now I know where to find the battery too.

The more I get to ride this machine the more impressed I am. It goes effortlessly from 100km/h to 140km/h. Extreme winds today prevented me from trying any faster. :twisted:

Tried the manual mode briefly but don't think I'll bother much with that. The power mode is fun though. I suppose it guzzles fuel when you use power mode a lot?

Have you been able to ride yours some more yet Norman?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Andre said:
The power mode is fun though. I suppose it guzzles fuel when you use power mode a lot?
Power mode is essential when riding constant tight curves, particularly in hilly terrain. This is generally low to medium speed riding, but quite technical. Under those conditions, the machine feels awkward in Auto Mode, but absolutely rocks in Power Mode. That is about the only time I use it. When used appropriately, it doesn't put that big a hit on fuel mileage. But if you just rode around constantly in Power Mode, or used it every time you accelerated from stand still, you'd be correct, you would most certainly see a drop in mileage.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Andre said:
Have you been able to ride yours some more yet Norman?
Nope - but hopefully this weekend I may get a wee ride in.
At the moment I go to work in the dark (and fog!!) and come home in the dark so not conducive to 'going out to play' after work! :lol:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Andre said:
...it's a Japanese model Skywave 650 so even if I'd gotten a manual I'd only be able to look at the pictures....AN400's and AN650's are not sold here officially...So getting an English manual locally is pretty much impossible.
Ypu should be able to order an English manual online -- the Burgman 650 and Skywave 650 are identical except for the name badges.

Try ronayers.com or oniedasuzuki.com. The manuals are small, so it shouldn't cost much to mail them to South Africa.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Brian said:
Try ronayers.com or oniedasuzuki.com. The manuals are small, so it shouldn't cost much to mail them to South Africa.
Hmm, neither of those ship to SA. Will keep looking. 8)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Andre said:
Brian said:
Hmm, neither of those ship to SA. Will keep looking. 8)
If you can't find another source, send me a private message. Maybe you could order it and have it shipped to me, and then I could mail it to you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts