Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got home from picking up the scooter, and am stopping in just long enough to post this. Then I have much more imporant things to do....like go out break in my new scoot! 8) And come up with a name for it. Her?

I'd only ridden ekp's (Eric's) B400, and even then only briefly down his short side street. I hadn't done any more than sit on a 650 in the showroom. My concerns were 1) the weight of the thing (525 pounds dry!) and 2) how I'd be able to find that clutch-engagement spot for slow-speed maneuvers.

I was amazed at how easy the thing was to ride, right from the get-go. I tooled around the dealer's small lot and had no problem with U-turns and such. I took it right out on the road (side streets) and immediataly was comfortable with it. The handing is great and the drivetrain is smooth (engine sounds a little Jetson-ish). Took back roads and got it up to an indicated 65mph in spots. The dealer said to basically just ride it how you would normally ride it, but vary the RPM's. His advice was to just go ahead and take it up to 70, just don't hold it there, vary your speed up an down a bit. Being that everyone is heading north for the Memorial Day weekend, I'm going to stay off the freeway for now. But I do plan on doing a little bit more 'spirited' break-in.

That's it for now. Gotta ride. :D Thanks to all for their help so far.

Oh, and one last thing -- given I went with the 'Big Dog', the 'Lardy', can I still be Frugality? :wink: I'm reminded of the quote, "physician, heal thyself". How can I be Frugality and ride the gas-suckin'-est scooter on the planet? Oh, well. Guess that's for me and my conscience...and my therapist....to work out...

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Congratulations, Dean... Glad you finally got it. After the amount of time and the number of posts you've spent here, it's great to see that you'll be doing some riding on the nicest scoot made.

Good Luck and enjoy... It'll be going back to the dealer for that 600 mile service pretty quickly, I'll wager.

Joe

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
AWESOME Frugality! I wish you safe and plentiful miles for a very long time! :)
It's unspeakable how great it is when the waiting is finally over and you start her up for the first time and actually start riding! :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Congratulations on your new purchase. I just bought my 650 a few months ago and look forward to each weekend so I can ride for hours. Have fun...and remember to take some time to sleep, preferrably not while you are on your bike :)

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
january14 said:
Congratulations, Dean... Glad you finally got it. After the amount of time and the number of posts you've spent here, it's great to see that you'll be doing some riding on the nicest scoot made.
:oops: Embarrassing, ain't it? :oops: I gave Rick (lilleyen) a bunch of flack (nicely :wink: , at least I hope he took it that way) for the number of posts that he made before finally getting his 650 Executive. And I was darn near his post-setting pace. If I had to wait like he did for his Exec., I might have beat him. I work on a computer all day as an automotive design engineer, so I am too often able to pop on and check the new posts.

Now that I've got my new ride, though, I'll be following Rick's lead once again. Haven't seen much of him these days, have we? It'll be good to get away from the computer screen for a while, though. Too much of just about anything is a bad thing. I was a bit too unproductive at some other things while reading and posting and reading this forum! :eek:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Dean,

You can still be frugal and drive the Lardy. Consider it from this paradigm: no cage, except for the very smallest hybrids will get better mileage than your 650.

I've done some cypherin' and figured out that I can go 2.33x farther on a single gallon of gas, almost as fast & about as comfortably as my Lightning.

I used 42 mg for the 650 (seemingly very do-able) & 18 mpg (optimistic as hell since I have a severe issue with staying out of the boost on that monster, blown V8 ) as a basis for the L. About the only advantage for the Lightning is the AC, which beleive it or not, only very slightly has any effect on the mileage the truck gets.

Now, I won't be giving up the truck, it can still haul & tow w/the the best of them & I don't see the 650 making 12.0x second passes down the 1/4 mile (which Beastie does for fun).

So, the long & the short of it is: for a scoot, the Lardy is not the most frugal toy in the box, but for overall transport, it'll beat the tar out of almost any cage, & look good & be fun as hell to boot.

Sometimes, rationalization can be good for the soul (& the wallet!).

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
frugality said:
:oops: Embarrassing, ain't it? :oops: I gave Rick (lilleyen) a bunch of flack (nicely :wink: , at least I hope he took it that way) for the number of posts that he made before finally getting his 650 Executive. And I was darn near his post-setting pace. If I had to wait like he did for his Exec., I might have beat him. I work on a computer all day as an automotive design engineer, so I am too often able to pop on and check the new posts.
I am also at the computer all day long and when work is slow, and I seem to be in a slack period, I read a lot of posts on the site. I don't reply to as many of them as I possibly could - mostly because I have no idea sometimes what they are talking about - but I do get a few posts in. I don't know about anyone else, but I personally have gotten something out of just about each and every post I've read, yours and others. :lol:

Joe

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wyldman said:
You can still be frugal and drive the Lardy. Consider it from this paradigm: no cage, except for the very smallest hybrids will get better mileage than your 650.
My diesel VW is purdy darn close. I'm getting ~50mpg so far on the scoot, and ~46mpg in the Golf! The mileage of the Golf has dropped just slightly due to larger fuel injector nozzles that seem to result in a heavier right foot. :wink: But now that I've got the 650, the Golf feels slow when I hop in it.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Tree Killer!
Resource Monger!
Soot Producer!
:D :D :D
:twisted:

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Congrats Dean :)

Only 349 posts first....my record stands :lol:
(Course' now we have better things to do)

Nothing like that first ride on it is there?

I was a little intimidated by mine at first (apparently you weren't), but I'm getting more confident with every ride.
Taking it slow and easy, getting to know her (she IS eager to go).
Just flirting with the 1000km mark now, so I'll have to make that first service call soon.

Enjoy the freedom! :)

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I learned to ride last year, so I was already fairly comfortable on a motorcycle beforehand. I took the MSF class and rode a used Honda Hawk for a year. After that, going to the 650 was easy. I was nervous that this heavy beast would take some getting used to, but I got very comfortable on it right away. The closest thing I can compare it to is playing an instrument. If you learn to play trumpet on a cheap Bundy or Conn student model trumpet, when you get a better one like a professional Bach Stradivarius it just plays SO much better. And you'd hate to go back to the old Bundy.

3 days and over 300 miles. Better get signed up for my 600-mile service soon!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts