Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traded in my Aprilia Scarabeo 150 for this spaceship of a scooter the Burgmann 400S! Seems made for me! I'm a classic scooter guy, btw, I have a 1964 Vespa Allstate, A 1998 Italjet Velociefero and a 2003 Stella!

Who the hell is Burgmann anyway?!!!!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Marbles Mahoney said:
Burgman is the same as Majesty or Silverwing or Scarabeo...just a name. Burg means town or city or fortified castle/city in a few languages. See: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=burg,
Man means man. Scooters started out smaller, and were limited to city life, so a Burgman is a city man. A Burgman 400 or 650 is for the man of a city. It's not a country (off road) bike.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Greetings Marbles and welcome to the forum. Congrats on that flashy new 400 S(paceship)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums Marbles . Glad to have you join us. Congratulations on the Burgman 400 S. It's a whole different machine from your other scoots.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Marbles Mahoney said:
In our case, rather than the German "Burgmann" with two ens, it's the Swedish "Burgman" with one en.

Our scooters are named after a famous Swedish dentist and forensic odontologist, the late Dr. George Edward Burgman (see Burgman.com), because riding them gives us such big grins that we can be only be identified by the sun reflecting off our teeth as we go zipping past regular scooters at 100MPH.

:D

[Just kidding, of course, and no disrespect toward the late doctor intended.]

·
Registered
520 Posts
Marbles Mahoney said:
Traded in my Aprilia Scarabeo 150 for this spaceship of a scooter the Burgmann 400S! Seems made for me! I'm a classic scooter guy, btw, I have a 1964 Vespa Allstate, A 1998 Italjet Velociefero and a 2003 Stella!

WELCOME! Went to order my wife a 400S (she WANTS Red!), but found they are NOT available in California! So here we go again, searching, lost in Scooter wasteland.....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx for the warm welcome! Big scoots, big welcome! It is different, but so much the same as my traditional scoots. the feel of a small wheel is what I am used to. My big wheeled (16") Scarabeo felt very upright, like a standard m-cycle. It was a scooter that thought it was a motorcycle. This thing is a motorcycle that thinks its a scooter! It handles 10x better, but with twice the power. Making it a force to be reckoned with. Having a machine that can do 100mph and handle like a scooter is quite serious. i am loving it! Only 157 miles since Saturday!

·
Registered
806 Posts
I would be interested in your insight, specifically in the long range comfort arena. I just took my wife's Scarabeo 150 on a 650 mile one lap of Lake Erie. The Burgman beats the Scarabeo in every facet except, in my observation, comfort. The big seat of the 'beo combined with the upright seating position seemed quite a bit more comfortable than the Burgman. In fact, when it comes down to handlebar position, seat, and seating position, the 'beo is about as good as it gets. Her bike has the large touring shield which comes above the helmet, negating any wind blast.

But, of course, the Burgman has the 'beo beat in every other area and by a very wide margin, I might add.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Marbles Mahoney
and congratulations on your Burg S! I just bought a 400 ( sans S ) about a month ago I guess. I love the thing, it's amazing. I too had traditional scooters in the past, and am enthralled with the versatility this bike has.
Enjoy her and observe the 600 mile service :D
-Moo

( have you taken the MSF yet? )

·
Registered
39 Posts
Congratulations on your Type S! Welcome to the forum.

I sure love my Type S. Took a long weekend and put in two of my longest rides so far, including one in which I met a fellow Burgie owner in Seattle. We met up at the Arboretum, and Brian (Bryan?) gave us a great tour of the Japanese Gardens. Didn't have time to putt around the city, but we did get to ride together while he showed my husband and I a better way to get back to the Eastside.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Welcome to BurgmanUSA Marbles! Oh man, are you gonna have some fun . . . :D :D :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
REVIEW

Its a trip! I'm a tradional scooter guy of sorts, I own a Stella, (My favorite) A Velociefero and a 64 Vespa Allstate. I traded in my Aprilia Scarabeo 150 back to the dealer for 2 grand and rode home on the Burgman. My local Vespa dealer would not take it as a trade in at all.
Its a 400cc Fuel Injected monster. Its big but very very nimble. 13" wheels handle much better than the Scarabeo's 16" motorcycle wheels. That being said, it also feels too nimble at hiway speeds. Bigger wheels do feel more stable at 70+ mph. But to have scooter like handling with motorcycle performance is something I'll get used to real fast! I can lean this thing over like a sport bike and it doest feel like a 400 pound machine at all.

Loads of storage space all around. Under the seat fits 2 full face helmets or a 30 pack. It has a big glove box with a 12V power plug. My Scarabeo had no under seat storage and a glove box that could fit, well, a pair of gloves and not much more.

The Type S comes only in red with blacked out wheels. A shortened smoked windscreen up front and a wing out back instead of a luggage rack. White guages in the dash are unique to this model, as is a completly different chrome motorcycle type handle bar.

Its styled like something from a Godzilla movie and looks like a sportbike. But so far everyone that has seen it recognizes it as a scooter. The details really set it apart from the regular Burgmans and other "super scoots" like the Majesty and SilverWing.

My only gripe so far is the seat, its not that comfortable, but is adjustable, so It might just be that. Plus the fact that I've lost a bunch of weight means that I have a new arse to get used to, too! I recommend this super scoot to anyone looking at these bigger motorscooters.

The fit and finish is amazing, its smooth and very quiet but growls powerfully when proded. I only have 350 miles on it, but I have had it up to 80mph on NY's infamous L.I.E. (known as the world's longest parking lot) and it was quite a ride. To be able to go that fast, and not at full throtle, was very relaxing, leaving me more time to focus on the road and not worry about my engine flying apart!

Scoot On... Marbles Mahoney

·
Registered
23 Posts

Hi Marbles ..Welcome and I am glad you are having fun with your scotter sooo did you pass the test for you liscence ??

I gotta a Q for you .. I have a home away from this home here in Minnesota in which I travel too through-out the year .

I am on the North Fork of lon island the end of the plant exit 72 on the LIE where is your local ..BTW, I will check -out you site of scotters .

:lol: @ longest parking lot jam on the LIE ! You got that right especially passed Nassau county toward the BQE :roll:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts