Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to order the two bearings in the clutch. That means I got real intimate with the CVT!
I sanded the faces of all four variable pieces, cleaned them up and put new grease where it goes. Got the new bearings in and put it all together with Dr. Slider 19gr sliders. (My homemade clutch/cvt holder worked well for the torqueing).
I bought a new Malossi belt but it turned out being for 2006 and before. So, I checked the old belt and was good enough to put back in. It measured 25mm at the top. I would have rather kept it for a spare but didn't have that option. Here's the only thing I really didn't like. Watching micBergsma's video he points out to make sure the arrow points to the front. I couldn't see any marks on my belt. I looked it over for wear marks and think I got back on like it came off. I guess I should get the right belt and put it on soon.

I'm planning a trip to the Deals Gap (Tail of the Dragon) in a few weeks. By the time I get back I will have more than 14,500 miles on the scoot. I'll try to check the valve lash before the trip but am not going to stress out if I don't get to it.

The sliders make a big difference in top end! Now, I will not worry about going the distance on it. I plan on doing 500 miles the first day. That will leave a little over 200 miles the second day. The only thing that might slow me down is my brother tagging along on his Harley. I don't know if he can go that far in one day. I offered to let him ride the scoot for part of the day since it's a lot more comfortable.
I'll be starting a new thread on the trip. I got some Nelson Rigg saddle bags, a cheap top box and a Givi tunnel bag. I plan on being gone for 6-7 days. This will be the longest motorcycle trip I've ever taken. I'm pretty hyped about it!

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I had to order the two bearings in the clutch. That means I got real intimate with the CVT!
I sanded the faces of all four variable pieces, cleaned them up and put new grease where it goes. Got the new bearings in and put it all together with Dr. Slider 19gr sliders. (My homemade clutch/cvt holder worked well for the torqueing).
I bought a new Malossi belt but it turned out being for 2006 and before. So, I checked the old belt and was good enough to put back in. It measured 25mm at the top. I would have rather kept it for a spare but didn't have that option. Here's the only thing I really didn't like. Watching micBergsma's video he points out to make sure the arrow points to the front. I couldn't see any marks on my belt. I looked it over for wear marks and think I got back on like it came off. I guess I should get the right belt and put it on soon. I plan on being gone for 6-7 days. This will be the longest motorcycle trip I've ever taken. I'm pretty hyped about it!
Most Belts Don't Have Arrows, So Just Put the Writing thats on the belt to where you can Read it.

Good Luck on your trip.. Stay Safe

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I have never seen a snowmobile or scooter CVT belt without directional indicators, however it is common on used belts to have dust cover the markings in the cogged outer backing--use a stiff brush to clean the backing and you will likely find the indicators:

Here are the markings on a used pre-'07 OEM belt--these were not at all visible prior to brushing off the dust:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't think of blowing/brushing it off because I wasn't getting any dust on my hands when handling it. I guess I'll order another belt and roll wit this one as is until the new one comes in.
BTW- there were NO markings on it, unless you are correct Cliff.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
The belt I currently am running,
installed by my dealer, has no
directional arrows.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you can take some videos of the ride through Deals Gap, that would be awesome.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's plenty on You Tube right now! That's what got me interested in going.
I don't have a video camera and am too broke to get one -lol

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oops, I said I got a Givi tunnel bag. It's actually a Bestem.

Ordered a Malossi drive belt this morning. I'll probably just keep it under the seat for the trip.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Which Nelson-Rigg saddlebags did you get??

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
If you can take some videos of the ride through Deals Gap, that would be awesome.
How about this. Posted on www.asttnbikers.com by Yellow Wolf (Yellow Goldwing in the video). The guy riding tail and doing the Video ain't a slouch either.

I took off in a pack of sport bikes,yup crossed the center line twice,once to give a car that pulled over for us some extra room and once for a car we passed,the guy in front of me was getting faster as he went,about the 7 min. mark I realized I was starting to get drawn in over my head so I bailed out!!

AND SEE HOW EASY IT IS TO PULL RIGHT AND LET FASTER RIDERS GO!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-5QusN84cA&feature=share

·
Registered
89 Posts
"I'm planning a trip to the Deals Gap (Tail of the Dragon) in a few weeks. By the time I get back I will have more than 14,500 miles on the scoot. I'll try to check the valve lash before the trip but am not going to stress out if I don't get to it."

I'm surprised that you might have to change the belt so soon? (before 14,500 miles) is that normal on a 400??

:confused:

·
Registered
108 Posts
You will enjoy the Dragon everyone should do it once. while your in that part of the country you should ride the Blue Ridge Parkway, That's a good ride...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm surprised that you might have to change the belt so soon? (before 14,500 miles) is that normal on a 400??

:confused:
14,500 mile check up is just that. You're supposed to check the belt and make sure it's ok. Mine measured 25mm at the top, which is good. My only concern was that I may have put it back on reversed. There were no markings on it and you would want it back on the way it was rolling. I got my new Mallosi belt today so it will be on on the trip with the original as a back up. (I think the belts normally go 20 - 30k)

Bestem bag, and Nelson Riggs saddle bags. Thought you may like to see them on a 400.
Oops, forgot one.
Thanks Mike. I have a question. I have been running mine the other way around. I figured there would be less wind resistance that way. It doesn't look too bad and any help on a long trip with a small engine I think is just good sense. Is there any reason why I should put them on the other way around. (I know the zipper should be in the back, but I can live with that).

Also, it looks like your tunnel bag is the other way around from most pics I've seen. I'll have to wait till I get mine to see it sitting on the scoot.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You will enjoy the Dragon everyone should do it once. while your in that part of the country you should ride the Blue Ridge Parkway, That's a good ride...
Paul 38Burg650 07 lives up there. We have tentative plans to meet up (I don't have MY details worked out yet.). He's already sent me some good routes to ride other than the Dragon.
I'll do as much site-seeing as I can before I have to head back!

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Routes I sent ITLIVES -- Two include the Dragon.

Everybody (tourists) needs to ride the Dragon - cause if they do not, when they get home -- All will ask, "Did you ride the Dragons?" and if you say, 'No.", they will ask, "Dummy, why not? It is so great."

FACT is it is a great road to ride. No cross traffic, usually no gravel kicked up on the road, decent road surface, curves mostly banked in your favor - that said, now the bad - Sometiems deer and bear (not often cross the road), many blind curevs, no shoulder area, trees on one side and mtn bluffs on the other side, it is dangerous for NO CURVE RIDING TOURISTS and for those that CAN RIDE, but NOT AS GOOD AS THEY THINK THEY CAN, there are distractions of Photographers (web site guys) taking pictures on curves and posting for you to look up and buy.

PLUS, A BIGGIE, you will meet and be passed (yes on curves) by guys that can ride (Knee dragers at race track lean angles and you hope they can ride because they will be taking your life and their lives in their hands around curves at speeds twice as fast as I care to go). I think the record up there is like 18 or 19 minutes for the 22 Mile R/T (better than 60 mph).

Many killed or injured there every year. Have your Air Lift paid up ($50 membership for a year) or pay $15000 for a Air Lift if you wreck (you will need an air lift if you do wreck and are not killed).

I hope that scares some sense into everyone -- Now go and ride YOUR RIDER and enjoy the Dragon and Deals Gap MC Resort as hang out (in NV at end of the Dragon). Just use some common sense and at least make a couple test runs before getting overly excited. Like I said, it is a good ride.

I recommend ride it weekdays and early AM (miss the hot rods and crowds). There are sport car groups up there sometimes and they are worse as they use up more road.

Two ROUTES I sent ITLIVES. Another that I hope to meet him and ride back into TN (where I live) I deleted. :) It goes from Cherokee where I plan to meet him unless he stays someplace else, then some backroads in NC (raod to Nowhere near Bryson City, NC) to Hwy 28, to Deal Gap MC Resort in NC, then the Dragon in direction from NC to TN, then the Foothills Parkway to Hwy 321 in TN, then some backroads I know to Pigeon Forge, TN where I will split and he will return over the mountain to Cherokee.

This one covers some of the most curvy Routes/ Hwy 28 (Point B) to Franklin Downtown on west end (Point C) is a snake, and Wayha Rd (Point D. E, F) to Hwy 19/74 (point F), to Nantahala Outdoor Center - N O C (Point G). N O C is a white water activity there and people floating the Nantahala in rafts, kayaks, and canoes coming from the south. There is one view area (limited parking, but I manage to get parked on a little wide shoulder pullout on right and cross the street to a view platform to watch them go over a Class 3 or 4 drop off.

Note you have access to the Dragon Hwy (Hwy 129) just south of Point F and access to Hwy 28 at Point H. But, remember we will be riding Hwy 28 from Point G to the Dragon on the ride when we meet up.

I mainly wanted to show you the route into Franklin (Hwy 28) and the route out (Wayha Rd), and Hwy 19/74 to the N O C.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=US-441+S/Tsali+Blvd&daddr=US-19+S/US-74+W/Great+Smoky+Mountains+Expy+to:NC-28+S/Bryson+City+Rd+to:State+Rd+1310/Wayah+Rd+to:State+Rd+1310/Wayah+Rd+to:State+Rd+1310/Wayah+Rd+to:US-19+N/US-74+E/W+Hwy+19+to:US-19+N/US-74+E&hl=en&ll=35.323529,-83.484421&spn=0.398886,0.501938&sll=35.355876,-83.560638&sspn=0.099682,0.125484&geocode=FaprHQId7K0I-w;FWnOGwIdlOIF-w;FRgyGQIdl3QH-w;FYCHGAId7oYG-w;FScIGQIdycAD-w;FTY6GgIdnCID-w;FcgcGwIdz3UE-w;FeCZGwId5xEF-w&t=m&mra=mi&mrsp=7&sz=13&z=11

One more from Franklin, NC up to Highlands, NC.

Cullasaja Falls is visible with very limited close to the road shoulder parking (Point C) - you have to be ready to pull over on a somewhat narrow shoulder by a guard rail on a curvy section (street view on point C and you will see - there is room for MC if no cars parked there). Seems, I remember you can walk up a little bit along the guard rail for a good view. Then comes Dry Falls parking (Point D) - anything but dry (a trail takes you behind the falls to the other side - a must do). Then Bridal Veil Falls (Point E) is sometimes a trickle, you can ride Scooter behind it on a road that goes under the over hang.

At least go that far (GOOGLE says 46 Miles and 57 Min), then go back to Franklin or if time permits go onto Highlands, NC (Point F) is a resort tourist town at around 5000 foot elevation. Then onto Cashiers, NC (Point G) and north on Hwy 107 to Point H, Then showing a little jog over to a lake view (Point I and then back to Hwy 107 (Point H) and onto Hwy 116 (Point J) -- You decide if you want to sue Hwy 116 or go on thru Sylva back to Cherokee.

An alternatives that I will not plot, but you can see if you Zoom In on the map:
1) Point E Bridal Veil Fall if you decide to turn back vs going to Highlands - go to Route 1001 (Ellejay Rd, becomes Tilley Creek Rd) and turn right - takes you over to Hwy 107. A great little back road (plenty of curves and hills).

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=US-441+S/Tsali+Blvd&daddr=US-23+S/US-441+S/Sylva+Rd+to:NC-28+S/US-64+E/Highlands+Rd+to:NC-28+N/US-64+W/Highlands+Rd+to:NC-28+S/US-64+E/Highlands+Rd+to:Main+St+to:Slab+Town+Rd+to:NC-107+N+to:State+Rd+1157/Pine+Creek+Rd+to:E+Webster+Rd&hl=en&ll=35.201867,-83.196716&spn=0.798969,1.003876&sll=35.317646,-83.181953&sspn=0.199458,0.250969&geocode=FaprHQId7K0I-w;FTodGQIdeQMI-w;FXp4FwIdZHYJ-w;FWkaFwIdieIJ-w;FbknFwIdUQYK-w;FYDcFgIdjYEK-w;FXrUFwId5ecL-w;FTr1GAIdBnEL-w;FbMUGQIdCSAL-w;FU5wGwIdqmoK-w&mra=mi&mrsp=9&sz=12&t=m&z=10

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
ONE MORE - That I saved -- Maybe the ebst if you only have one day of riding in the area(NC or TN Dragon area that is).

Start of Cherohala (Point B) and jog over to Joyce Kilmer Visitor Center (Point C), back to Cherohala (Point D), to Bald River Falls (Point E) to Tellico Gas Station Break( Point F to G), then Hwy 360 (Point H) to Fort Loudon and go into the Visitor Center (Point I). If time permits at the visitor center, watch the history of Cherokee & English (very interesting and a beautiful spot to see the lake). Then own to Hwy 72 (Point J) which takes you to Hwy 129 (becomes the dragon and end up at Deals gap MC Resort (Point K).

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=US-19+S/US-441+S/Tsalagi+Rd&daddr=NC-143+W/Cherohala+Skyway+to:Joyce+Kilmer+Rd+to:NC-143+W/Cherohala+Skyway+to:River+Rd+to:35.3363054,-84.2112289+to:TN-165+W/Cherohala+Skyway+to:Cherohala+Skyway+to:TN-360+N+to:Fort+Loudon+Rd+to:TN-72+E+to:US-129+S&hl=en&ll=35.453958,-83.814697&spn=0.796481,1.003876&sll=35.489188,-83.897781&sspn=0.398067,0.501938&geocode=FcdUHQIdLowI-w;Fc9PGwIdVtf_-g;FTSKGwIdKlf_-g;FU4oGwIdeYj_-g;FREEGwId5Iz7-g;FXEwGwId5An7-inVqye0nvZeiDEQfTk5HQ_Usg;Fe9pGwIdK4L6-g;FRehGwId0sj5-g;FSSEHgIdMkX7-g;FaQiHwIdpRX7-g;FfNhHwIdalz7-g;FUAwHQIdd3v_-g&t=m&mra=mi&mrsp=11&sz=11&via=5&z=10

1 - 20 of 34 Posts