Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious at some of the reasons -
Why you ride a scooter and not a motorcycle-

For me it started with medical reasons and then I found out that scooters were just plane more fun then bikes without any added downsides except for maybe the pot hole to wheel size
But I think this is overshadowed by the may pluses the scooter has over a bike .
And believe me I am surprised I feel that way after 40 + years (on and off) of big bikes- :)

·
Registered
925 Posts
For me, medical reasons were the main reason. I have a very bad left knee, which makes it difficult to shift gears. Second, I have been riding scooters since I was 15, and find I enjoy the ride more when I don't have to worry about braking, shifting gears, and using the clutch all at the same time. The twist and go approach is just more appealing to me.

·
Super Moderator
18,096 Posts
Medical reasons, initally (found out it was a non-issue).
But now, it's hard to find a replacement for touring with the same ammenities and comfort, at the same price.

·
Registered
58 Posts
WHY

HI ALL For me it's comfort from leg cramps . Much more room to move around took care of the problem. Sold a 1000cc KAW and the BURG is great. 4300 miles first year.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I was suckered into buying a Burgman because my pal really wanted to try one. :roll:
On the other hand, now I am glad that I was that gullible. 8)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Comfort, styling and the **** eating grin that I get when I do it! :lol:

I actually went in to buy a motorcycle and walked out with a Burgman 650. Never looked back and it is fun to tell people that I ride a scooter, I generally leave out the size and number of ccs etc.!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Went through two years of owning both. Recently sold the motorcycle because I just wasn't using it enough to justify paying insurance, property taxes, registration, and maintenance on it.

There are some good logical reasons to prefer the scooter, and they have all been cited before in past discussions. But I didn't keep the scooter for the logical reasons. I kept it because it is simply more fun to ride.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
For me it's age/medical whatever.
Nearly 63, and a little stiff, minor arthritis and mild angina.

Been dying for years to get back into the saddle, but lifting a leg over a motorcycle hurts my hip. I'm OK, once I'm on board, but thinking about a long ride and how stiff I could be at the end of it... I might need a skyhook to lift me off :lol:

Will know better once I get riding it, but the fit and comfort in the showrooms/shows etc, is perfect for me, (well a bit of a stretch to the ground), but every other way ergonomically, it's perfect.

Windshield just below my line of site, handle bars, seating position etc., and all the other pluses already mentioned in this thread make it the perfect way for me to get riding again.

I've covered my butt (sorry), by ordering real sheepskin riding pads already too. :lol:

If I could just wait a little faster......... :cry:

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
pauljo said:
Went through two years of owning both. Recently sold the motorcycle because I just wasn't using it enough to justify paying insurance, property taxes, registration, and maintenance on it.
snipped
Paul, are there property taxes on a motorcycle? :p

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
I'm too lazy to shift gears. :lol:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Scooter over traditional Motorcycle

Well, scooters are a type of motorcycle, but I understand the question. :wink:

Short answer, I ride a scooter over any other motorcycle, because it is all I ever wanted to ride.

When I was ten, I never had any interest in riding a traditional motorcycle. Just didn't. However, I always thought scooters were cool and ever since I remember I wanted a motorscooter.

Fast foward twentyfive years. My wife and I on a cruise to Bermuda rented a 150cc scooter. First time I was ever on one and it came naturally to me. After a five minutes lesson, we were off riding two-up through traffic zipping around the island. I loved it.

Two years later, while walking around the city lakes in Minneapolis we came across a Honda Elite 250 for sale. Bought it that very week. Licensed inside of a month and rode it all around the city.

Four more years go by and Honda introduces the Reflex to the U.S. Wow! I have to have this machine. After a week of discussing and figuring out how best to pay for it, I buy the 'Flex and sell the Elite. Enjoy longer rides into the country. I begin organizing group rides and found Minn-Max.

Two year pass and Suzuki brings the Burgman to our shores. This is one mean motor scooter and a real go-getter. As my interested in distance touring was already sparked by some overnight trips on the Reflex, we buy the Burgman 650 and attempt to sell the Honda. Cannot get what I deem a fair price for the Reflex, so decide to keep it for now. Take our first week long tour. We have a blast and my wife wants to keep riding after our first 400 mile day ever. God, I love this woman.

Following year, after participating in a couple of rides with the local classic scooter club, I buy a Bajaj Chetak 4-stroke 150cc manual transmission scoot. A slightly modernized version of the scooter I fell in love with as a kid. Meanwhile, my wife learns to ride and takes possession of the Reflex.

This year, best of all worlds now. Own a traditional scooter for around town and commuting. Ride a powerful touring scooter all over the midwest. My wife has moved from co-rider to rider and already has her eye on a 125 twist-n-go for around town and the Burgman 400 for touring. I mentioned to my wife that BMW has an 850cc touring scooter on the drawing boards for a 2008 release. She turns to me and say, "Hmm... that gives us three years to save for it."

It doesn't get any better than this! 8)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
lilleyen said:
Paul, are there property taxes on a motorcycle? :p
Depends on where you live. In Nebraska there certainly are. In Connecticut there were also. It is generally based on the same mill rate as houses, but applied to the worth of the vehicle. And that worth is whatever they say it is. I tried to argue it once in Connecticut on a car that they had assesed at about 3 times what the dealers were offering me for trade-in. I got nowhere. Boats, trailers - anything registered with motor vehicles is taxed.

·
Registered
719 Posts
When my broken arm, and dislocated shoulder healed, I wanted something which would not tempt me into the sound of 14,000 RPM as my old sportbike used to.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Actually, I ride a scooter and a motorcycle, and enjoy them equally well. I'm not enthralled by all things scooter, they definately have some drawbacks, but I was intrigued enough by the Silver Wing, and then the Burgman, to allow myself a test fit. When my wife tossed her leg over the 650, she immediately said, "This is your next bike." I could hardly argue with that, could I? Do I enjoy the Burgman more than, say, an FJR1300? I don't know. I have this bike now, and it satisfies the urge.

Steve

·
Registered
107 Posts
South Carolina has a property tax as well on vehicles. I live in Florida and we tried to have a tax on people moving to this state with their vehicles , but it was voted unconstitutional. Florida gets theirs from all the money charged on tags. We must have a Million personalized tags IE College, Space Shuttle etc...

·
Registered
30 Posts
mine was
1 Bad back
2 Fed up with hanging on for dear life
3 Bad back
4 Having to keep up with 1000CC mates
5 Bad back
6 I now love the comfort
7 Bad back
8 I do more miles than before

Chris.c

·
Registered
806 Posts
Actually, I have a better question. If I rode a B400 or B650 and someone was trying to sell me on a Motorcycle, what would the reasons be?

Once you elliminate vanity or performance from a HUGE engine, there are no reasons to pick a motorcycle over a scooter. Really, why?

I use my scooter (a B400) for transportation. During the summer months my truck sits and gathers dust. No worries about storage space, comfort, it's much MUCH easier to ride than a conventional motorcycle, and its cheaper to purchase, maintain, and operate.

What bugs the crap out of some motorcycle riders is that I have the skill and money to own a so called "Real" motorcycle and simply choose not to.

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
Why a Burgman? - mmmm just intellect!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts