Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hanging around BUSA for several months now, gathering info and making a post now and then. I'm in it for the long haul now. My local dealer called early this afternoon and said the truck dropped of my new 2005 650 Burgman this morning. They asked me if I would like to pick it up late this afternoon. Of course I said YES!!! All I have to say is that I am VERY IMPRESSED.
The Details: Silver 2005 Burgman 650. Price $6799 plus tax and title fees ( my little local dealer was very kind to me).
Impressions from the ride home: 64 MPH in normal mode = 4000RPM. 64MPH in power mode = 5100+ RPM. Seems to me that on the earlier model that I drove the RPM's were somewhat higher at that speed? Also the 2005 doesn't seem to have nearly as much engine braking as the earlier one (barely as much as my wife's Silverwing). Compared to the Silverwing: the Burg feels and is larger and has better wind protection, engine is smoother and more powerful but the Burg's ride is a little harsher.
Well I have rambled on long enough.
Did I say I'm VERY IMPRESSED? and HAPPY!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Please - Do Ramble! We are all "05 model info starved."

Very very cool! 8) Awesome ride. You'll dig it. I read a recent post from a fellow ICOBO-er (posted from the eukrane i believe) that they've supossedly lowered the friction ratio (or something like that) on/in the ECVT on the 05s for "easier drivability" - again just trying to remember/paraphrase. That may be why it isn't so "engine-braking" sensitive!

·
Super Moderator
8,072 Posts
wrecruiser said:
Also the 2005 doesn't seem to have nearly as much engine braking as the earlier one (barely as much as my wife's Silverwing).
From another thread

Nixxon said:
According to Suzuki's Announcement, AN650A will have following features in 2005:
7. Clutch friction has been reduced by 30kg for easier operation.
I wonder what effect this will have on engine braking ?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Same price I got - almost a year ago to the day. Since they've been priced $100 higher for '05 though - you win!

Steve

·
Registered
52 Posts
wrecruiser said:
Also the 2005 doesn't seem to have nearly as much engine braking as the earlier one (barely as much as my wife's Silverwing). !!
I just test drove a 2005 650 and the engine braking seemed to be very pronouned. Even more so than when I had riden a 2004 650. I mean it slowed me down very quickly

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Congratulations on the new Burgman 650 Dean.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Congratulations! Welcome to the Big Grin!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the welcomes everyone.
I think I'm going to have alot of good times with the 650.
I really bought it for long distance touring, but it looks like it will also become my daily driver, I like it that much. Anyone want to buy a Kawasaki ZRX1200R or a Harley Heritage Softtail Clasic?
As for the engine braking --- maybe I'm so used to my ZRX when I down shift, that everyting else feels like it has less. The wife's Silverwing does feel about the same to me though. I just rode that 130 miles yesterday before I picked up the Burg. All I have to say is that I like the Burgman much better than the Silverwing (for myself, that is).

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Jim said:
According to Suzuki's Announcement, AN650A will have following features in 2005:

On USA models, none.

The AN650A is the Executive; not available in the USA yet.

The newest model here, and the one wrecruiser has, is the AN650K5.

It would be interesting to do a comparison between the A5 and the K3 versions. Maybe sometime I'll find myself up in Vancouver and find a friendly dealer or owner who'll let me go for a spin. :)

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Jim said:

Do you think this has to do with the wheel spinning while idling on the center stand and the difficulty pushing the 650 backwards while idling?

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
roy_ryall said:
Jim said:

Do you think this has to do with the wheel spinning while idling on the center stand and the difficulty pushing the 650 backwards while idling?
Interesting thought.
I'll check that out when I get my AN650A. :)

While I will have nothing to use as a point of reference while backing up, (or for engine braking either for that matter), I will at least be able to see if the rear wheel spins at idle.

Maybe I'll let Allwalk (if he likes, and can handle it :wink: ), take my Exec for a spin and see what he thinks the difference is if any.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Rick funny you should mention switching rides :D I was thinking once you get used to yours I would let you try mine and see if the suspension diffference in mine is better or worse than the stock configuration. We can pick a fairly rough road that you are familiar with and travel it a few times on each others machines.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I like this forum! :)

Sure Allan, almost any road around here qualifies as a rough road. :roll:

Have you modified your suspension?

You could compare the engine braking and the OD too, while we're at it.

Looking forward to it.

You'll be one of the first people on my "show and tell" list when I finally get my ride. :D

·
Registered
296 Posts
It would be interesting to do a comparison between the A5 and the K3 versions. Maybe sometime I'll find myself up in Vancouver and find a friendly dealer or owner who'll let me go for a spin.
Brian, you are welcome to come over to Vancouver Island and try my 650A once I receive it. There is still no official word fro Suzuki as to a delivery date. I had Savage Motorcycles in Victoria attempt to get a delivery date from Suzuki, that was an unsuccessful exercise. It appears that Suzuki is keeping the delivery date a secret.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
alburg said:
Brian, you are welcome to come over to Vancouver Island and try my 650A once I receive it....
Hmmm. Let me see....

Everett to Whidbey Island via Muliteo Ferry. Ride up island through the pretty farm and harbor areas. Lunch in Oak Harbor. Ride over Deception Pass Bridge, and take a few pictures. Spend a quiet night at a B&B in Anacortes. Catch Anacortes Ferry to Vancouver Island. Ride to Nanaimo and meet a fellow ICOBO member. Ride the new Burgman Executive. Maybe enjoy lunch or early dinner together in Nanaimo or Victoria (on me, of course). Spend the night at Empress Hotel. Do some sight-seeing (Butchart Gardens, Wax Museum, Ann Hathaway House, etc.). Ferry to Vancouver. Late night in Gas Town. Home via Blaine.

Well, you might have to twist my arm, but if you force me...

Okay! :D

Thanks for the offer.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
wrecruiser said:
ES!!! All I have to say is that I am VERY IMPRESSED.
The Details: Silver 2005 Burgman 650. Price $6799 plus tax and title fees ( my little local dealer was very kind to me).
Impressions from the ride home: 64 MPH in normal mode = 4000RPM. 64MPH in power mode = 5100+ RPM. Seems to me that on the earlier model that I drove the RPM's were somewhat higher at that speed? Also the 2005 doesn't seem to have nearly as much engine braking as the earlier one (barely as much as my wife's Silverwing).
Well I have rambled on long enough.
Did I say I'm VERY IMPRESSED? and HAPPY!!!!
Yes, yes do ramble, Pete's right we are 2005 info starved. :)

When I get mine we can compare notes.

My out the door price was/is $13371.00 and change (2005 Exec model), Canadian dollars, plus about $300.00 for the OEM heated grips (installed, taxes in)

That's all I know for now.
Oh yes, and gorgeous blue. :D

Congrats on your new ride.
As a lot of people are finding out, the maxi scooter is going to be VERY popular in the near future.
We're on the cutting edge of a new trend here, and this forum is unique as well. It's the MAIN source of info for the burg!

Welcome to the group. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts