Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay I'm hooked.

Our last day on the coast on Highway 1

Just back from a road trip by car around the National Parks between Grand Canyon in the south to Yellowstone and Mt. Ranier in the northern part of the loop.

I covered some of it off here
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...f-to-the-west-and-the-national-parks-are-open

Now while it's fresh I want to get some ideas in place.
Looking at 3 weeks of travel and prefer to concentrate on the West coast and Continental Divide area as far south as Yosemite and up to Banff and Jasper.

I don't want to really spend time in the National Parks but rather just ride the roads in the area like Yosemite and Yellowstone.....it's $75 for a annual pass and at $25 a park is a good investment.

Thinking of slab to Yosemite coming in from the east but need some ideas what to cover off before I get there.

Then hit the coast road around San Luis Obispo for a couple hundred miles until I get tired of it or the fog sets in then zig zag up the mountain chains to Canada avoiding the population centres.

Then blitz home across the prairies in Canada. Looks to be about 12,000 KM in 3 weeks which seems doable if I put in some longer days across the boring bits.

This is a very rough route to get an idea of distances involved - won't reduce below this for a link :(

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...pe&mrsp=6&sz=8&via=1,2,6,7,10,11,12,13,15&z=8

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sketched out 24 days leaving Friday tho Nexus makes that easier at the border getting back Sunday.
That's 24 days of which 5 is slab and 5k km so 19 days of casual riding.
That's 9500 km in the interesting areas at 500km a day when days run to 16 hours or more of daylight. These are actual sunrise sunset hours not twilight which in Banff and Jasper can last to midnight at the summer solstice.

Both long sections to get past the prairies are planned for weekends to minimize the traffic in the nice areas.

I usually get going early as I love the calm air in the morning and the light and look to long golden hours at the end of day for photos.

I'll take longish breaks during the day to work and read in some nice spot like this delightful find at the south entrance to Zion National Park -we spent a lovely hour enjoying good food, chatting and I was catching up on work.

TripAdvisor and some other sources lets me locate these gems pretty easily tho this was a stumble on.
Some of the smaller food stops in places like Moab were a total delight that we would never have found without the benefit of the internet.
Deals are better at lunch and then use the evening for places like this.

At just under 3,000m at Bryce National Park. We spent maybe two hours on a 32 KM loop just as the sun was setting. Chilly tho in November at that elevation.

US National Parks are fabulously well maintained and many of the roads give the range roads in Australia a run for the money in twists per KM. Part of this trip will be to take a longer time in some of the parks to enjoy the riding and the wildlife.

I wonder how they will react to a rider this close...

No more than a meter from the window and some of the herds crossing the roads in Yellowstone are in the dozens of size large animals and your ride can get trapped in the herd as it ambles along..they are NOT tame and people have been killed.

Hopefully the wolves seen here at the edge of the camera range don't add Burgman to their diet.
The big white one has a chunk of kill.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Looks like a really interesting trip.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks for sharing and what an interesting trip. I followed your link to your other thread and wondered if at some point you wished you were doing it on a Burgman--with the exception of moving into a bison herd.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's 7 months away….I'm in Australia for 3 of those months.
I'm planning now since by the time I get back in May it will be time to leave.

I want as many "interesting roads" as possible in the areas I intend to ride
The title is clear. Got something to contribute?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I covered off some of the area on a road trip with GF which is what got me hooked on doing a cross country while I'm still able ( and still in North America ).

SInce I just got back figured I'd cover it off while the area was fresh.

That lead off photo was on the weekend. :D

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
MacDoc Loved all your pictures & have been to all those places some more than once.
For your up coming trip have your fuel stops planed out very well. There is a 180 mile stretch of I-70 between Utah & Colorado with no gas stations. Hi-way 6 across Utah & Nevada into California has very small towns that are few & far between. If time allows I'dd go up Hi-way 1 from San Luis Obispo to Monterey as that's a very beautiful road.;)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah it was San Luis route that really got me stoked for this.
The lead off photo is from that stretch.

I may just buy a 1 or 2 gallon fuel can - that's what we did on the James Bay Road which is 380 km between fuel stops.

My plans have changed a bit since GF wants to meet up in Banff and then we rent a car for a week so I'll likely go out further North and catch the Dakota's, follow the Lewis and Clarke route rougly and then swing north .

Still very very earlier but I had some concerns on fuel so getting specifics helps....Burgman at speed is a thirsty beastie.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Not sure. Are you trying to find other riders to join up with you on this ride? Or, do you prefer to go it alone?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We are a long ways away from each other and I'm now thinking I would go Dakota's to Yellowstone and then north to Banff to hook up with GF.

Don't mind riding partners as long as willing to get going early and ride late if needed.
Ones with a Scala very welcome - nice to chat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts