Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering - can you jump start a Burgman using a battery tender cable's clamps? Does it work when attached to a car battery?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Just wondering - can you jump start a Burgman using a battery tender cable's clamps? Does it work when attached to a car battery?
I don't think they are heavy enough. I think you would burn them up.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I built my own jumper cord...
basically an extension cord with
the polarized plug on one end
to match the Battery Tender
polarized plug, & a pair of alligator
clips on the other end..about 15 feet.
Used it twice so far....both times to
jump start a Harley at a funeral.
If you use a car to jump-start your
Burgman, the car does not need to
be running....we're only talking about
a 10/12 AmpHr battery in the Burg.
Just give it 5 minutes or so, then
crank it.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
I'm not sure what the wire gauge of those clamps is so don't know if they will carry the load or not. The battery in your 400 is rated to produce 135 cold cranking amps. To handle that much current you are going to need at least 10 gauge wire and 8 gauge would be better. You might get by with lighter gauge if the bike fires right up but it you have to crank it for very long you could get into trouble.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
DO NOT jump your Burger with a RUNNING car's battery. It will screw up the computer. It will take some starts and riding with a rough running engine to get it to stabilize again. Don't ask me how I know.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I'm not sure what the wire gauge of those clamps is so don't know if they will carry the load or not. The battery in your 400 is rated to produce 135 cold cranking amps. To handle that much current you are going to need at least 10 gauge wire and 8 gauge would be better. You might get by with lighter gauge if the bike fires right up but it you have to crank it for very long you could get into trouble.
......and remember...I have dual batteries.
My intention with my 'jumper-cable' is only to
put an additional charge into the battery, so
the bike can crank on its own.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
......and remember...I have dual batteries.
My intention with my 'jumper-cable' is only to
put an additional charge into the battery, so
the bike can crank on its own.
I've used that tactic to get a bike started with 14 gauge wires with alligator clips that I use for trouble shooting electrical problems. Had the wires in my top case and hooked them up to a friends bike battery from my bike battery. Let my bike run at 3,000 rpm for about 10 minutes to put some charge in his battery then he was able to get it started.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I've used that tactic to get a bike started with 14 gauge wires with alligator clips that I use for trouble shooting electrical problems. Had the wires in my top case and hooked them up to a friends bike battery from my bike battery. Let my bike run at 3,000 rpm for about 10 minutes to put some charge in his battery then he was able to get it started.

Pretty much what I did with the 2 Harleys...

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I found this on Yamahas site. It measures 6x2-7/8 x1. 14oz.
It says it can jump start cars too.
Oops, lol, someone else before me already posted this one, about $50.00 cheaper too!

·
Registered
162 Posts
it takes little understanding of electronics to understand and cope with battery charging. But if you have it or are willing to learn this will do almost anything battery related. change/discharge/cycle/capacity test etc etc
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__6792__iCharger_106B_plus_250W_6s_Balance_Charger.html

cheaper and do an awful lot of the above.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__7028__Turnigy_Accucel_6_50W_6A_Balancer_Charger_w_Accessories.html

both will run on 12v so you just make up some cables and your off.

I have the iCharger 106b and I can do anything from one single aaa cell to a huge 12v deep cycle

EDIT: pardon me, I have the 206b and can charge at up to 20amp if I have a supply capable of providing it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts