Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the 3 way jackets work well?
I'm thinking specifically of the Joe Rocket type with the removable solid panels revealing a mesh jacket underneath, with a removable liner under that.
Hoping for a jacket that will work in 3 seasons.

Thoughts?
Experience?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I have a joe rocket phoenix 3. So far it has worked well, however in the really cold, I prefer my thick quilt lined leather jacket. I just got it in January so I don't know about the heat yet.

that one jacket you are talking about, I saw and almost purchased however it was a littler higher priced than what Billy wanted to pay since I've already got other jackets, he could not justify the purchase.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
If you can live with the little extra bulk, and it's not bad, yes they work. You may want to wear double shirts on a really cold day so keep that in mind when sizing.
Myself I prefer a mesh jacket for summer and leather for the cooler and wet days This gives you a little more "room" to play with what you wear underneath the jackets if the weather changes

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Joe Rocket

I have an onlder reactor. It's quite the set up for riding in the heat. Otherwise, I'd be tempted to not wear any jacket at all.

I've noticed that the mesh does seem to pill after a season. Not so good.

I wouldn't consider this jacket for cooler climates.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm thinking maybe a 3 way jacket for general riding with a 2 piece rainsuit under the seat on doubtful/wet days.

I do like leather better, but it's not waterproof and can get really hot in summer.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I wear a perforated leather jacket in hot weather. It lets the breeze through very well. For most other riding my fabric jacket is best. Zip out liner, zip open vents - it handles all but the really hot weather fine. In really cold weather the Gerbing electric jacket liner goes under the fabric jacket. I ride in weather that ranges from 20° F to 100° F. No single garment is going to do that well, although some come close. I wear my old Leather jacket a few times each year - just because it deserves to get out of the closet once in awhile.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hey look at some of the Belstaff stuff if you are concerned about an all weather jacket. I found a longer style one for under $400.00 and it has so many nice features like a cell phone, wallet and a mixture of pockets to lose track of your keys. The collar rides up nicely for cold weather riding and the front buttons up nicely for wet weather riding. I had a First Gear Kilimakaro (sp?) but it lost its water proofing too quickly for me. Nice features but expensive and I don't think as good as the Belstaff stuff.

The bomber style doesn't fit as well as the longer style on a Burgman. Maybe for sport bikes. It has a removable liner, water proof layer and ballistic elbows and padding all in the right places. I looked at some of the Joe rocket stuff but its not in the same league (quality wise). The British have been riding for years and Belstaff have a 2 year warranty on this product . Leather is good but some of the new synthetics are so good you should consider them. I ended up buying a 2 piece rain suit as well.

One final tip...buy it in black. Red will fad and lighter colours will show the road grim after a few short months of riding. Good luck

·
Registered
193 Posts
Several months ago I bought an Icon Merc Jacket (in Grey) and am very pleased with it for our S. CA weather conditions,ie... 40 to 85*F and no rain after March till Oct./Nov.
I have not ridden in the heat yet (highest about 75*F a couple of weeks ago), but I think it will be fine with just a shirt and/or t-shirt underneath as it does have zippered vents in the back. At 50*F with a medium weight turtleneck sweater, it was quite comfortable.
It comes with removable body armor and is washable.
At $129.95, not a bad deal for our weather conditions.
ICON Merc Jackets on Metricbikes.com
GinDrinker
:D

·
Registered
610 Posts
3 way jacket

I brought the Joe Rocket Atomic jacket at newenough.com for $ 69.00 I live in southern california and the jacket is perfect for year round. The jacket has a zip in liner and has vents on the front and back of the jacket. There are vents on the sleaves also. We had a warm spell in January and the temp was 80-85 for a week. I zip out the liner and open all the vents and I was fine. I just ware a long sleave shirt or sweater when it gets cold or riding at night.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey all. I'm excited.
Just went and bought the Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket in black.
Is normally sells around here for $350. Got it on sale for $300.

Amazing piece of machinery.
Took it apart a few times to make sure I could reassemble it :wink:

It's the 3 way I mentioned in my first post here.

Has a removable waterproof/windproof liner, and almost all of the heavy outer layer unzips to leave me with a mesh jacket with full armour for hot days.

This jacket (fully assembled), with a fleece top under it should keep me warm in very cold weather.

If it's too cold for that combo, I don't think I'll be riding anyway.
It's supposed to be fun right? :wink:

Looks cool, no wild graphics, minimal advertising, feels just right.
(Tried on a lot of other choices)

Also bought an HJC AC-3 helmet in black too. ( but that's for another thread)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Rick,

Where did you get the Alter Ego for $300. Is it true to size. I have been eyeing that jacket for a month and have decided to take the plunge and purchase one. The lowest price I have found is $360. I have a full mesh and a full textile but think this will be great for touring from South Florida to the North Carolina mountains. Too many temperature changes for one jacket so this one gives me the best of both.

Janine

Janine

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Janine,

Got it from my local Honda dealer.

Would liked to have bought it from my Suzuki dealer but they did not have one for that price even with the discount.

I usually wear a medium of everything and that's what fit me best in the JR, so I guess they are true to size if you are thinking of ordering online.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think the same Alter Ego jacket is available at newenough.com for only $199.00 (if I'm looking at the right one). I just ordered 2 Joe Rocket Jackets from there, one for me, and one for the lady. They seem to have the lowest pricing I've found. Just a heads up. I got a meteor 5.0 for me and a Luna for her.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the heads up som2002.

Even with the Dollar exchange that's good deal.

Problem with buying online though is fit.

I do buy a lot of stuff online, but the fitted items can be problematic.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Rick, I try to get the best price I can for an item. I try the product at the stores first. If I like it I check the internet. If the cost is better at the store I go buy it. If the internet is better I order on line. Since you bought the Alter Ego jacket I would like to suggest the Alter Ego pants. I bought them and they seem to work for me.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What do the Alter Ego pants have going for them?
I'm not familiar with them.
Do they go over your regular pants?

Are they for wet weather, cold weather hot weather, what?

·
Registered
610 Posts
The pants have a zip in liner and elastic around the ankle to keep the rain out. You have water proof fabic on the outside. You have knee and shinn padding. You have some padding around the hips. There are 2 pockets on the outside that zip close. There is a zip out section that starts above the knee area on both legs and goes around your butt area for ventilation. You remove that piece completely for warm weather use. You have 2 way zippers on the liner and on the outside pants so you can vent your legs when needed. Yes you can ware these over other clothing. I feel these will be good for 3 season riding. Hope this helps!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts