Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took the butt bump off my 650 and find that I like the ride a lot better, but I want to do something with the hard and unsightly area that is now exposed. Does anyone have any experinece with the "Lower Back Rest Pad" offered by Jac Vinson? From the website it is very hard to tell what the quality is like and $45 seems like a lot for a pad; however, if the quality is there I am willing to give it a try.

If anyone has any other ideas to pad this area of the seat (the Burgman's seat not mine!) please share them. I am open to suggestions.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
As far as I know, that pad only works with his backrest conversion kit. Buying the pad alone is probably not going to work. You can email Jac to confirm that.

My solution was to have the seat reupholstered, with thin padding added in that area. Cost more than $45. :wink:

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
If you've got something to pull staples with, and a good staple gun, it should not be too hard to open up the cover and add a little padding and maybe a vinyl patch to the bum area. Then simply restaple the cover back down. I replaced the seat cover on my old Honda and the hardest part was pulling the original staples.

I may end up trying it myself, but I'm gonna live with the bum rest awhile longer to see how I adjust to it.

Dave B.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Although far from cheap and WAY over $45, consider giving the Airhawk pad a try. It has made a big difference in my comfort level and would certainly cover the hard piece left behind (sorry, couldn't resist a bad pun). Best part is - it is portable and will probably work on any future bike you might own.

Madonna

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I just received my sheepskin seat pads from Sheepy Hollow in Australia.
http://www.sheepyhollow.com/indexfront.html

Dark grey, just like the burg upholstery.
Took about 21 days from purchase time online.
Really nice sheepskin.

I bought them primarily as fatigue eliminators for long rides, BUTT, :wink: I expect them to be so comfortable, I may just leave them on all the time.
Removable, so if it's going to rain, I can store them under the seat.
(If I ever get my seat) :cry:

Supposed to keep you from sticking to a hot vinyl seat, or from sitting on an ice cold seat too. A little extra padding can't hurt. :)

Might work for you NYBubba.

·
Registered
367 Posts
lilleyen said:
What was your price delivered Rick, if I might be so rude as to ask?

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Sails said:
lilleyen said:
What was your price delivered Rick, if I might be so rude as to ask?
Not at all, I should have posted that info. :)

$39.00 each

About $78.00 CND plus $15.00 freight ($93.00), and about $17.00 duty etc. at this end (bless our government), for two Universal Solo seatpads CAT #UNI-6 STD

$110.00 in all.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The lower Back Rest Pad will work and cover your bracket whether you use our extention bracket or not. I have them made at a local Auto Upholstry shop and my cost is about $35-$38 depending on how many I order at one time. You may be able to do something for less. I'm not out to rip off anyone, I just wanted to design a comfortable ride for myself, and share my experience/time savings with others. My lower pad is good looking, easy to install, and easily removable. It completely covers the "butt-bumper" bracket and is nicely padded with a fairly firm pad about 1/2" thick.
yours truly
jac vinson
http://www.rvtoys.net

NYBubba said:
I recently took the butt bump off my 650 and find that I like the ride a lot better, but I want to do something with the hard and unsightly area that is now exposed. Does anyone have any experinece with the "Lower Back Rest Pad" offered by Jac Vinson? From the website it is very hard to tell what the quality is like and $45 seems like a lot for a pad; however, if the quality is there I am willing to give it a try.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've had Jac's backrest and pad for probably a year now and can't imagine riding without them. The pad has held up very well - no signs of wear and I'm a daily commuter (rain, shine, freezing temps, etc.). The pad would work fine on its own and would definately help hide/protect the holes left by removing the butt rest.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jacvinson said:
I'm not out to rip off anyone, I just wanted to design a comfortable ride for myself, and share my experience/time savings with others.
Jac, Sorry if you misinterpreted my comments to be negative to your product or price. I do not know your product and have not looked into having a similar cover made myself. Knowing the type of people in this forum I would expect a good quality product to be offered. I may still be sending you an order, I just have to consider one or two options.

My thanks to everyone else for the great feedback, it has helped.

·
Registered
370 Posts
No Problem

Hi NYBubba;
I certainly didn't take your (or anyone elses') statement as negative. I know that a "simple little pad" shouldn't cost much. But Ya' know how it is. Go into a shop for a small project and they would rather do larger, big money jobs. There's probably not more than about $10 in materials, but to get it made by a pro, so it looks nice, just costs more. Kinda like windshield plastic (just the materials) is probably pretty cheap. Certainly no where near $100, but unless you've got the resources to do a good job yourself, you have to pay the folks that have the right equipment to do the job well. The first one I got, (lower pad cover) cost about $55.00 cause it took the guy an hour to make it. I figgered it was still okay, cause I didn't have the skill or equipment to do it myself. I'm shopping for a supplier to make them, but the problem is that the market (scooters) is pretty small and so when I talk to a supplier, they suddenly lose interest when they find out I don't need 1000 units <G>.
So, don't think I took offense. I, in fact, usually tell folks that they might have a friend in the business, or be a good seamstress themselves, and possibly can get the pad made for less than I pay. Then, some folks figger, what the heck, by the time I shop for someone to do the job, then decide how I want it made, it's more convenient to just order it already made.
The whole idea is to make the scoots more fun, more comfortable, and keep it affordable..
Thanks for the interest. and don't worry that I took your comment wrong.
Jac

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
NYBubba:

I have one of Jac's 'butt pad' covers (and a back rest) and the cover is indeed very easy to put on and take off, looks nice, and is well-constructed.

Also, here's another source for sheepskin saddle pads: http://www.alaskaleather.com/

As a Christmas gift, I got one of their deluxe pads for my hubby's use on his Burg 400. Price was $60 U.S., including shipping.

Unfortunately the weather hasn't been good enough yet for us to have our 400s out of the garage, or I'd be able to say whether Mike likes his new pad. But he's optimistic. (I bought myself an Airhawk, which I am also eager to try on my 400. Will report on this cushion, and Mike's pad, as soon as can.)

Best,
Christine

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I just added another 3/4" of soft foam between the butt pad metal and the thin (automotive uphostery foam?) that was already on the buttpad. It's easy enough to take off the string, trace a piece of foam (in my case 2 pieces of foam) and stretch the edges back over as you draw the string to re-tie it. It improves the looks quite a bit also. I haven't test driven it (yet) but I'm sure it will provide a little mor lower back support and be just a little less on the flat/'lumpy' side. No offense to Jac's mod whatsoever, just a simple mod i could do on my break to further improve his nice idea. :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
jacvinson said:
The lower Back Rest Pad will work and cover your bracket whether you use our extention bracket or not. I have them made at a local Auto Upholstry shop and my cost is about $35-$38 depending on how many I order at one time. You may be able to do something for less. I'm not out to rip off anyone, I just wanted to design a comfortable ride for myself, and share my experience/time savings with others. My lower pad is good looking, easy to install, and easily removable. It completely covers the "butt-bumper" bracket and is nicely padded with a fairly firm pad about 1/2" thick.
yours truly
jac vinson
http://www.rvtoys.net

I'm in the market for the same thing. I would like something that looked like the stock butt bumper, but one which gives me about an extra inch or two. The one you make will work and it looks alright with the back rest pad attached, but the pad really doesn't look all that great alone (not hacking on ya, just my opinion). Any thoughts on just making a pad to replace the stock one (with that sole purpose in mind)?

Thanks!

p.s. I wanna know when you get that center console fabricated! :D

·
Registered
728 Posts
I bought jac's backrest and pad for my 650. I too added a bit more soft foam to the pad so my lower back wasn't hitting against a hard pad. Also I'm playing with bending the bracket so that the back rest hits me just right.
I like the backrest. It makes riding much more enjoyable. Now I'm thinking of getting the pullback risers for the bike, so my arms arn't so outstretched all the time. I put pullback risers on my intruder, and it made all the difference in the world. When I took it to the dealer for the trade in, I had taken the risers off and put the stock risers back on, I didn't like the ride to the dealers. My arms ached and I wasn't comfortable.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had the back rest on then took it off because it was uncomfortable on the lower back. Then when I rode wilderdays, I notice that he installed some extra foam padding on his so I gave it a try. BIG differance. I now have the backrest re-installed and have bent it forward to help give my back some more support. I love it. The foam is very inexpensive (4 - 2x2 squares for $3.97) at Wal-Mart. I am also going to add some between the back rest and the cover for asthetics.

·
Registered
728 Posts
mwolf,
glad to hear you got your backrest to work for you. Glad you could check mine out and it helped you fix yours.
by the way, did you ever mention to this group about where you bought the O rings you are using for throttle control?
Thanks again for giving me one. I'll put it on this weekend, when I install my clearview windscreen that came in yesterday.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts