Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally replaced the belt on my '09 400 with 21,750 miles on it. For some time now I, as many others, have put up with the clutch squeal/groan on takeoff particularly, when cold. And, like many others found that when I had things apart and blew the belt dust out of the CVT workings, it often helped for a while. However, as soon as I replaced the belt (and, I didn't knock/blow off any dust besides turning the clutch bell over and tapping it on the ground, as I had blown things out quite thoroughly very recently), all CVT noise ceased! Now, I am thinking the noise was the belt all along and wonder, has anyone tried using belt dressing on the belt of their 400 and, did it stop the squeal? If so, did it have any negative impact of any kind?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Wile I still believe it's the clutch, I have never in about 3000 miles heard any noise since changing to a Gates belt.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Belt Dressing

The CVT parts depend on friction on the sides of the belt.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
It would be much easier to list all changes in Ralph's variator than guessing one by one what impact might each of them have. :D

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
About the length of the piece of string.

But the manufacturer recommends changing at around 15000 miles.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Never seen one break on any 400. But, have heard of at least one breaking on a 1999 model that hadn't had it's belt replaced for years. He was on his way to a ride out with our club having covered several hundred miles on his way down from Scotland. He now checks the belt at major services. But here's the thing. The belt broke, leaving him by the roadside, but he was up and running within a couple of hours. Because it's a Suzuki, spares are everywhere over here.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
To be honest the chang that made most difference to the noise on take off was making a point of parking it on the side stand.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
How long does a belt last before it breaks?
I changed my last one at 18k, but it still had a lot of life in it once I inspected it (see below). I heard one guy went 40k before his broke. So it comes down to how much comfort zone you want. But 20k is a fairly safe bet. I'll be doing at least that much on my current belt.

View attachment 18865

1 - 10 of 10 Posts