1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have done all but the Florida Keys. Funny that. I live in the South-Eastern United States BUT I used to live in California and then Yuma. Went to a special military school just north of San Francisco. Have relatives scattered all over California (my ex-wife and daughter lives in San Diego). Someday, the wife and I need to go see if Jimmy Buffett is right.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Interesting. As for their Texas choice, 290 west out of Austin is a pleasant road but far from the best motorcycle road in that area.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The Florida Keys ride is interesting mostly because you're riding on a bridge just a few feet above the open ocean. The tiny little Key Deer are pretty cool, and you'll probably see some if you stop down around Big Pine Key where the signs warn you about hitting them.

Key West itself is a pretty cool place. If you're making plans to take this ride, and if pretty girls dressed mostly in body paint are your idea of a good time, let me recommend the Key West Fantasy Fest - a weeklong festival held about the same time as Biketoberfest up in Daytona. If you're looking for the time that the trip will be the least usuriously expensive, I'd recommend June-September.

But though it really IS a cool trip, it's also a trip along a dead-flat and almost dead-straight 113-mile road.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yeah - its sunny somewhere - where I'm at too but its 23*F and not likely to rise much above freezing - about 20* cooler than my mark of 50* where I even consider getting on the scooter.

I've only been on one road that article mentions - the PCH and I've rode it all from San Diego to Leggett Ca. Between Long Beach and San Diego there isn't much left of Highway 1 and may have gotten worse - the last time I rode that stretch was in 1967. Wasn't easy to follow the coastal roads even back then. I rode it on a Yamaha 100 2 stroke twin. I last rode the stretch between Leggett and Frisco in 2002 on a Harley Ultra Classic. I think I'd have had more fun on the 650.

Possibly the most twisted part of all of that highway is between Leggett and the coastline. I think they could pull that road straight and it'd be 5 times longer than what it nets you as the crow flies. I doubt there is a quarter mile of straight road on it.

Highway 1 between Santa Monica and Leggett should be on any serious rider's bucket list IMO.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
What are your temps in the wintertime down there, Phil?

·
Registered
116 Posts
What are your temps in the wintertime down there, Phil?
Extreme lows in the mid 30s, usually in the hi 50s to mid- hi 60s.
We consider a cool day anything under 65 and cold under hi 50s
Lowest ever recorded here in Adelaide was 31.8 in 1982, highest was 117 in 2009, longest without any rain was 69 days.
Interesting info here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Adelaide

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
That's very much like the winter temps we have here in Florida. Most days are in the 70s-80s and the lows are in the mid 50s-mid 60s. It touched 32 once this year and 33 twice, but has only been in the 30s a few times. It was in the mid-40s for a week and a half in a seriously chilly spell this past month; we may get another before February is done.

But our summers, while incredibly humid, still, and sticky, don't usually get that hot. Mid 90s is unusual, but high 80s - low 90s are common. And we get rain pretty much every day in the summer, but they're brief - though often quite intense. If you're out riding and get caught in a shower, you just keep going and you'll generally ride out from under it in just a few miles.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
My AC can get the house's humidity down to a comfortable 50%-60%, but walking outside feels like you are being hit in the face with a hot wet towel.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Dang! That is seriously HOT! I think its too hot once the temps get above 95*F - thats with humidity around 15-25%. Its quite dry around here most of the time in summer. The hottest I've seen it here in the 10+ years I've been here is 108*F. Coldest ever was -13*F. Cold but not intolerable unless theres a wind. Been a very dry winter with only ~2" of snow on the ground right now but more on the way by next Friday - should have around 12" or more within a week and a half according to the weather man - who is wrong more than right.

·
Registered
116 Posts
From our local newspaper:
ADELAIDE has sweated through its hottest February day and reportedly its hottest weekend on record.

The mercury climbed to a blistering 44.7C at 2.32pm this afternoon and according to latest updates from the Bureau of Meteorology it was still 40C in the city at 7.30pm.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
44.3 deg C 4 minutes ago in Adelaide. US readers, that's 111.7 deg F. Humidity is 8%
Sounds like a normal day for us in the summer here in the desert southwest. That's why you don't do ride #3 or 4 at that time of year.;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts